Feeling like an Intruder

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
An imprompt to getaway for the night. Called the B&B yesterday to book - no problem have a wonder room for you, no one using the room so come early if you like, I'll be there from 9-5.
Sounded nice. Got here a little before 2 room not quite ready - the monthy bug exterminator was in there - well we were early. While waiting we asked about places to eat, the inn has a restaurant but closed on Monday. She gave the look of being put out then gave some choices. Then oh, by the way, did Joe tell you that we are having a function here tonight?
The entire courtyard is now filled with a bunch of cackling people, some as close a 5 to 6 feet from our door. Our door is a set of full windowed french doors, the only windows in our room. Want to go out to get something for dinner but do not want to walk though the party.
This is the reason why when we have an event, we do not sell guest rooms. I would not want any of my guests feel like I do right now.

Intrude and don't feel guilty. You have as much right to walk through there as those at the function. It's not your problem, it's the innkeeper's.

Wow.
As we say this all the time about functions, either rent the whole inn or not. Have heard the same story by guests at other inns, sorry you are the one in the dungeon there.
Walk out there and start coughing really loud and not covering your mouth. haha (Sorry, just had to say that, as it would clear a path for you to escape).
and you are finally able to go on a getaway, finally able to leave YOUR INN behind, and guests and issues...only to be held hostage. People don't get this, these are the little things I feel are important at a B&B, above all else!
Order a pizza and watch a movie, or snuggle.
teeth_smile.gif

Oh boy. Given the circumstances, I'd say these innkeepers are real losers. Like others have said, walk out into the function area to go where you want. You have definitely paid for this getaway!

On the same token, I recall a B&B where the owners had their grandkids for the weekend. Cartoons blaring in the room below ours all night. We felt so third wheel and we paid to feel that way!

Doesn't reflect well on the innkeepers for not inviting you to the function.
BUT
Join the party! Introduce yourself to others, be the centre of attraction, have fun- just don't feel miserable about it at all.

BUT
Join the party! Introduce yourself to others, be the centre of attraction, have fun- just don't feel miserable about it at all..
Shivi said:
BUT
Join the party! Introduce yourself to others, be the centre of attraction, have fun- just don't feel miserable about it at all.
It may have been a 'private' function where the group rented the inn grounds for the evening. Copperhead should have been informed there was a function happening when she told them the date she wanted (which was a last minute plan, so the innkeepers knew they had the inn reserved). She could have gone another time.
We had this happen once but we did not have a rez. We ended up going to this inn because no one was answering the door or the phone at the place we reserved. The innkeepers told us there would be a function in the dining room and the lounge between the hours of 6-9 and asked us to not disturb the party.
We felt like intruders as well. Mostly because the implication was WE would be the noisy ones and would think we should join the party. We went out and never saw or heard a thing. By the time we got back from dinner it was all over.

This post was from last night, so today we hear the rest of the story...

I had the same situation once when traveling with friends - I made the reservations. We were staying at a nice looking mansion - paying a bit more than we usually did for a one night before going to a less expensive motel for the next night (I wanted us to experience an upscale B & B just once). We arrived to discover a wedding reception taking place on the first floor. We ordered pizza instead of going out for dinner as planned because we would have had to go through the reception to go out. It spoiled the whole experience to the point I do not remember anything about whether we even saw the innkeepers at breakfast the next morning. Guests (wedding party I think) going up & down staires all night did not help the experience. We felt they should have warned us - there were other B & Bs in Memphis even then.

It's one more instance why a lot of people will choose a hotel stay over a b&b. An experience like this can turn them off of ever booking a b&b again. CH should have been told on the phone when booking so it could be her choice to stay or not. It's just is so frustrating when you get the rare occasion to get away to be disappointed and annoyed like this.

It's one more instance why a lot of people will choose a hotel stay over a b&b. An experience like this can turn them off of ever booking a b&b again. CH should have been told on the phone when booking so it could be her choice to stay or not. It's just is so frustrating when you get the rare occasion to get away to be disappointed and annoyed like this..
I don't think hotels tell guests there is a high school hockey team on one floor and a high school cheerleading team on another. And your room is in between! And yet guests will stop going to B&B's because of one mistake at one B&B whereas they won't do that with hotels. (Altho, I won't go to a Holiday Inn after what happened 20 years ago, so that says something.)
But knowing the event was happening right ouside their room door, the innkeepers should have offered a different night. Or at least offered the info.
We turned down a wedding party for this summer because one room was occupied by repeat guests and we didn't want to deal with a wedding with someone else in the house. Stupid? That's a lot of money to keep one guest happy.

It's one more instance why a lot of people will choose a hotel stay over a b&b. An experience like this can turn them off of ever booking a b&b again. CH should have been told on the phone when booking so it could be her choice to stay or not. It's just is so frustrating when you get the rare occasion to get away to be disappointed and annoyed like this..
I don't think hotels tell guests there is a high school hockey team on one floor and a high school cheerleading team on another. And your room is in between! And yet guests will stop going to B&B's because of one mistake at one B&B whereas they won't do that with hotels. (Altho, I won't go to a Holiday Inn after what happened 20 years ago, so that says something.)
But knowing the event was happening right ouside their room door, the innkeepers should have offered a different night. Or at least offered the info.
We turned down a wedding party for this summer because one room was occupied by repeat guests and we didn't want to deal with a wedding with someone else in the house. Stupid? That's a lot of money to keep one guest happy.
No, it is not stupid because you know you will have others wanting rooms during that time period. AND you know from experience what wedding party mentalities are.

I'm baaaack!
Yes, I agree with the others, we should have been told when we called that there was an event that evening. We could have then chosen if we wanted to stay or not, or even go another time.
This was a group paying for the place, it was not the innkeepers party. They have a restaurant along with the inn, and I think the inn plays second fiddle to the restaurant.
Now for the rest of the story. The garden party did finally make way inside for dinner and we were able to sneak out to get a bite. So at least we did not have to either barge through the party or go to bed hungry. I was pleased that while we had to keep the drapes closed from peeping eyes, the cottage was very well insolated and we could barely hear anything outside when the TV was on.
I did hear that there was one other room taken inside the home (2nd floor). Given the arrangement of the home/restaurant, it would have been easier to 'flow' through the entry to go in or out than where we were in the cottage. Or so it seemed as we walled through today. I wonder how well the house is insolated noise wise 1st to 2nd floor? Maybe they did lots of sound buffering given the fact they are usually open for dining. And the more I think that is why they didn't tell us about the event, they are a restaurant, and always (except Monday) open for dining. That is their norm, just not mine.

I'm baaaack!
Yes, I agree with the others, we should have been told when we called that there was an event that evening. We could have then chosen if we wanted to stay or not, or even go another time.
This was a group paying for the place, it was not the innkeepers party. They have a restaurant along with the inn, and I think the inn plays second fiddle to the restaurant.
Now for the rest of the story. The garden party did finally make way inside for dinner and we were able to sneak out to get a bite. So at least we did not have to either barge through the party or go to bed hungry. I was pleased that while we had to keep the drapes closed from peeping eyes, the cottage was very well insolated and we could barely hear anything outside when the TV was on.
I did hear that there was one other room taken inside the home (2nd floor). Given the arrangement of the home/restaurant, it would have been easier to 'flow' through the entry to go in or out than where we were in the cottage. Or so it seemed as we walled through today. I wonder how well the house is insolated noise wise 1st to 2nd floor? Maybe they did lots of sound buffering given the fact they are usually open for dining. And the more I think that is why they didn't tell us about the event, they are a restaurant, and always (except Monday) open for dining. That is their norm, just not mine..
I was really lucky on the other side of the fence last week. Let me preface my comment by saying that my b&b is in my home town and I've known some of these ladies for 30 years.
Last spring one of these ladies who is a dear friend asked if her women's club could have thir March meeting here. I explained that I could not serve any food and that parking was very limited, and with those parameters they could come. Over time they asked about eating, and I suggested "finger foods" that they could bring in.
Well they decided they'd just get a caterer to do the finger foods. Fine. Then the first caterer got sick and the second caterer brought victuals for a sit down lunch for 30 women. I knew I was in trouble when the caterers came in 3 vehicles. (only room for 7 cars in the parking lot.
It actually turned out much better than expected. It was interesting to see how the 70-80 year old ladies managed to eat their plated lunches without benefit of tables. The good thing is that they realized I didn't have anything to do with the snafu. And the house was put back together before my business guest came in for the evening.

I'm baaaack!
I did hear that there was one other room taken inside the home (2nd floor). Given the arrangement of the home/restaurant, it would have been easier to 'flow' through the entry to go in or out than where we were in the cottage. Or so it seemed as we walled through today. I wonder how well the house is insolated noise wise 1st to 2nd floor? Maybe they did lots of sound buffering given the fact they are usually open for dining. And the more I think that is why they didn't tell us about the event, they are a restaurant, and always (except Monday) open for dining. That is their norm, just not mine..
I was really lucky on the other side of the fence last week. Let me preface my comment by saying that my b&b is in my home town and I've known some of these ladies for 30 years.
Last spring one of these ladies who is a dear friend asked if her women's club could have thir March meeting here. I explained that I could not serve any food and that parking was very limited, and with those parameters they could come. Over time they asked about eating, and I suggested "finger foods" that they could bring in.
Well they decided they'd just get a caterer to do the finger foods. Fine. Then the first caterer got sick and the second caterer brought victuals for a sit down lunch for 30 women. I knew I was in trouble when the caterers came in 3 vehicles. (only room for 7 cars in the parking lot.
It actually turned out much better than expected. It was interesting to see how the 70-80 year old ladies managed to eat their plated lunches without benefit of tables. The good thing is that they realized I didn't have anything to do with the snafu. And the house was put back together before my business guest came in for the evening.
Congrats on everything working out. Seeing that it was a lunch affair, I would not have been concerned with it running into the B & B guests either - especially with the age of the group (safe to figure no after dark with them). Glad it all worked out and wish I could have been a fly on the wall to have seen the balancing act. (plates, forks, canes.....)

Back