Feeling sorry but not in a position to help

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
Feel a bit sorry for my godmother she runs 4 places and they are very run down but she charges a very cheap price. She has never read her trip adviser reviews before today though I have warned her about them (they are dire) she was really upset. I told her you have to claim the listing and write good and reasoned replies. Her daughter who runs a place two (and has decent reviews) didn't even know you had the right the reply. so any newbies or aspirings KEEP ON TOP OF YOUR REVIEWS! I feel sad for her but she must have 50 reviews and i am not writing the responses. I just feel sad that she has been hit by all her bad reviews at once as I know what any of us feel to get one! Trouble is she doesn't have enough money comming in to improve and can't charge more because of the state things are in. it is a vicious cycle.

That makes me sad too.
On one hand we have to offer what guests expect, meanwhile it is hand to mouth for many innkeepers.
If she has that many reviews, then perhaps just let them stand alone out there and not respond, that is what I would do, there really is nothing else you can do.

You are right then that she has to get on top of the reviews. But, if nothing is going to change because she can't upgrade anything, then it's not going to get any better. She might at least get a few folks who say, 'She's trying,' but most will just think she's giving lip service to the complaints.
Are there any complaints she can fix for little or no money? Surliness? Dirt? Touch-up painting? Disorganization? Overbooking?
Cleanliness goes a long, long way to happy guests. People will put up with a lot if the staff are friendly and the place is clean.

You are right then that she has to get on top of the reviews. But, if nothing is going to change because she can't upgrade anything, then it's not going to get any better. She might at least get a few folks who say, 'She's trying,' but most will just think she's giving lip service to the complaints.
Are there any complaints she can fix for little or no money? Surliness? Dirt? Touch-up painting? Disorganization? Overbooking?
Cleanliness goes a long, long way to happy guests. People will put up with a lot if the staff are friendly and the place is clean..
To be fair it is quite clean but things look so shabby people assume it is dirty and a lot of things are worn. Trouble is she does waste a lot of money on doing one thing on the cheap say and then redoing it later. For example on the ground floor of the azealia it was 4 bedrooms an then made it into two sort of flats which she rented out longer term and then has just recently made it back into 4 bedrooms again it is basically like setting fire to your money. But if people are paying $120 for a room in a busy time they can't expect the ritz

Cleanliness goes a long, long way to happy guests. People will put up with a lot if the staff are friendly and the place is clean..
To be fair it is quite clean but things look so shabby people assume it is dirty and a lot of things are worn. Trouble is she does waste a lot of money on doing one thing on the cheap say and then redoing it later. For example on the ground floor of the azealia it was 4 bedrooms an then made it into two sort of flats which she rented out longer term and then has just recently made it back into 4 bedrooms again it is basically like setting fire to your money. But if people are paying $120 for a room in a busy time they can't expect the ritz
But if people are paying $120 for a room in a busy time they can't expect the ritz
The unfortunate part is that for someone with only $120 to spend, they do expect the Ritz because it is a lot of money to them. My $56/night room last week was everything I was expecting, except it was clean. Which I was not expecting.

But if people are paying $120 for a room in a busy time they can't expect the ritz
The unfortunate part is that for someone with only $120 to spend, they do expect the Ritz because it is a lot of money to them. My $56/night room last week was everything I was expecting, except it was clean. Which I was not expecting.
sorry I should have explained better this rooms was for three people in a large family room at a time in Harrogate when a basic double room costs $160 at least plus all the info is there in black and white on late rooms, trip and booking.com it aint a secret! I have no patience with people who book on price alone and then complain it isn't the ritz there are plently of good price places which are really nice for a good price but you have to hunt for them and do your homework. I feel sorry for the ones who their office bookes them in soley on price and they are stuck with it.

Back