"Fellow Innkeeper Courtesies" & verifying "Travel Agents"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously, Klaus and I are new to this fascinating world-- so we REALLY appreciate all the advice in these forums!
Many of the things y'all said were things I had not yet thought about--but now I am. I love the idea of swapping nights with other innkeepers one knows.
Since we do plan to focus on attracting "traveling executives", I will look more into the IATA site to see how I can verify the claim of being a travel agent.
What about discounts through marketing sites--like purpleroofs.com? Is there a reason to offer a discount like that? We've stayed in many B&Bs we found through there, and I'd say it's half and half as to which inns offered the "PurpleRoofs discount" and which did not.
Someone mentioned the AAA discount... is that done in return for being listed in AAA guides?
Thanks!
--Eriks.
In my opinion everyone like to get a discount. I just signed up with purpleroofs.com and offered 10% off a 2 night stay. I will pay a commission if a travel agent tells me up front they expect one. A few years ago a AAA travel agent booked a few nights for her client without a word about commission and a few weeks later I got a bill for commission. I was peaved. Eventually I paid it. I use to be a travel agent so I don't mind paying it, just tell me in advance that you are expecting it.
As far as the free rooms, I would offer to give them their 10% commission as the discount.
Also, find websites that executives use (I have gotten business travelers from booking.com).
Best of luck.

Well, now that I know we're too small to be listed, methinks that giving a AAA discount would be silly for us.
My gut instinct is not to give discounts, period. But I am thrilled with the NightForNight concept. :).
Not sure if you meant generic night for night or the org NightforNight.com. I joined NightforNight.com about 8 months ago and am frustrated because a good percentage of places listed are no longer in business. Owner has yet to list our place. I emailed reminders for a few months then finally just gave up. Just checked the site and it looks the same as it did in January and I'm still not listed. Very disappointing.

PAII has an innkeeper stay program. I haven't used it. Our state b&b association has a program also which is very effective.

Well, now that I know we're too small to be listed, methinks that giving a AAA discount would be silly for us.
My gut instinct is not to give discounts, period. But I am thrilled with the NightForNight concept. :).
Not sure if you meant generic night for night or the org NightforNight.com. I joined NightforNight.com about 8 months ago and am frustrated because a good percentage of places listed are no longer in business. Owner has yet to list our place. I emailed reminders for a few months then finally just gave up. Just checked the site and it looks the same as it did in January and I'm still not listed. Very disappointing.
It was just one lady ( Sandee) in TN I believe who took care of this. Don't know if she just got too busy or what but I wouldn't count on anything out of that site now if it has not been updated in such a long time. The page says last update May 2009. You could email her personally and ask.

PAII has an innkeeper stay program. I haven't used it. Our state b&b association has a program also which is very effective..
Breakfast Diva said:
PAII has an innkeeper stay program. I haven't used it.
What is that program? I haven't heard about it. I looked on the website but I'm not seeing a link to it...could be I'm just missing it.

It was just one lady ( Sandee) in TN I believe who took care of this. Don't know if she just got too busy or what but I wouldn't count on anything out of that site now if it has not been updated in such a long time. The page says last update May 2009. You could email her personally and ask.

catlady said:
Sandee is with Timberwolf Creek in NC. It's active - we just stayed at an inn in Ashville, and another in New Orleans.
She does not update the website - she's far too busy with her inn but does add the new members as they join. No need to update other than that. You just fill in the form when and where you want to stay and she forwards it to the inn to accept or not.
I"m sure if someone wants to take on updating the website she'd let them. She set this all up for free for us to enjoy so I really appreciate it. There is no charge to join or use it.
RIki

PAII has an innkeeper stay program. I haven't used it. Our state b&b association has a program also which is very effective..
Breakfast Diva said:
What is that program? I haven't heard about it. I looked on the website but I'm not seeing a link to it...could be I'm just missing it.
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I saw on the website I think in your profile where you can check if you agree to swap with other innkeepers. I assume then all one does is contact those who are checked? I've never looked to see how it works.
Riki

Breakfast Diva said:
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I saw on the website I think in your profile where you can check if you agree to swap with other innkeepers. I assume then all one does is contact those who are checked? I've never looked to see how it works.
Riki
I believe Riki is accurate. I wonder if there's a way to do a search? Hmmm...I'll see if I can do a little research on this.

Obviously, Klaus and I are new to this fascinating world-- so we REALLY appreciate all the advice in these forums!
Many of the things y'all said were things I had not yet thought about--but now I am. I love the idea of swapping nights with other innkeepers one knows.
Since we do plan to focus on attracting "traveling executives", I will look more into the IATA site to see how I can verify the claim of being a travel agent.
What about discounts through marketing sites--like purpleroofs.com? Is there a reason to offer a discount like that? We've stayed in many B&Bs we found through there, and I'd say it's half and half as to which inns offered the "PurpleRoofs discount" and which did not.
Someone mentioned the AAA discount... is that done in return for being listed in AAA guides?
Thanks!
--Eriks.
Warning about Pur ple Ro of : Do a FREE listing. Unless your city begins with A, wheather you are free or paid, you will be listed by city alphabetically. Only difference is paid has more pictures and text. BUT they have to get to your city first.

Ditto the comments about (nearly) everyone wanting something for (nearly) nothing.
It will take you some time to find your market. Your single queen room is fairly high priced. It may turn out to work well, but you will have to overcome perception of value and location relative to a hotel to build a clientele.
Offering a lot of miscellaneous discounts makes someone paying rack rate seem foolish, or feel taken advantage of. May confuse people. A suggestion is to offer a "grand opening" or "house warming" inital rate of $150 or so, with the rack rate still listed. Will seem to be a deal and will get you some traffic to test your concepts. Keep it going into the winter to test the waters.
Seventh night free is not much of a multi-day incentive, unless you are catering to a 100% vacationer market. Location sounds more like business and traveler. Suggestion, shorten incentive: offer a % off nights after 2 or 3, or throw in a freebie for a longer stay like free dinner at a local friend's restaurant.
Business travelers will always want to see a lower than couple rate -- I know hotels don't do that, but the single senses that he doesn't demand or benefit from all the extra amenities of the high-end B&B. Sort-of true: by yourself in the jetted tub isn't very romantic. Consider a spoiled VIP business rate you take into the City to market.
Good luck! You will meet some great folks.

Back