Feng Shui anyone?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
My sister was explaining to me the major cleaning/rearranging she did at her new house after reading a Feng Shui book. I'm very interested in lots of metaphysical and "energy" based philosophies so I thought I'd give this a go as well.
Here's Feng Shui lesson Number 1: Clean everything and declutter! So not exactly glamorous and definitely time consuming but I've had a very fun day cleaning out the office. One tiny room and I've already gotten rid of two huge trash bags of "clutter". I never thought of myself as a pack rat but boy I had some weird stuff I was holding onto and couldn't for the life of me think why: old computer manuals for machines I don't even own anymore, stacks and stacks of the previous owners' letterhead (with their names on it, what did I think I would use it for???) and tons of Zip disks...I don't have anything that would even READ a Zip disk anymore.
So it feels good to get organized at least, whether it's improving the flow of chi yet remains to be seen!

I started a MAJOR decrapify last January. 5, that is FIVE, huge bags of trash went to the curb. One tub of stuff I am afraid to toss yet (verifications) went into the attic. By Joey and Socks standards I am still crapped. I can actually see ALL of the area rug and BOTH wing back chairs are able to accept rearends - no move the crap over either, they are clear! Trying another stab at it in January between trips.
Oh, Jan 6 I start a knitting class at the Library. The Librarian asked if I would do it....... That means I start dragging out pattern books if I can find my Mom's Workbasket magazines. They may have gone in a fit of decrap...

Along with the decluttering, there's rearranging to allow the energies to flow. (BTW...all that letterhead? Flip it over and use the reverse side for scrap paper or printing out reg forms you will keep, that's what I do with the backs of all the junk mail we get.)
If your desk is facing a blank wall, try to turn it so you have a view. If that isn't possible, you'll need to put something on the wall, perhaps a mirror.
I had one room at my old house reviewed by a guy who does feng shui. When he was done, I realized the entire room was helping Gomez's career and tanking mine! And that's what was happening in real life. Gomez was getting promotions, patents were being filed left and right and I was stuck. We were never able to get that room quite right for both of us.
If nothing else, just thinking about feng shui can lead to making small changes that help a lot.

It has been a very fun process so far. And we keep laughing because our house is very Feng Shui challenged...many, many angles, dark spaces, doorways, TOILETS which are the bane of chi, evidently!
In fact our house shape is so irregular that we've decided to do each room individually because there are too many "blank spots" otherwise. So it's more challenging but also really cool to start to look at your space in this manner and see what you can change and be creative with.
Our desk...in addition to facing a blank wall, faces a wall behind which there is a toilet...this is instant chi death so we need to fix this first...this room is so tiny and I'm not sure where we'll go with it all.

It has been a very fun process so far. And we keep laughing because our house is very Feng Shui challenged...many, many angles, dark spaces, doorways, TOILETS which are the bane of chi, evidently!
In fact our house shape is so irregular that we've decided to do each room individually because there are too many "blank spots" otherwise. So it's more challenging but also really cool to start to look at your space in this manner and see what you can change and be creative with.
Our desk...in addition to facing a blank wall, faces a wall behind which there is a toilet...this is instant chi death so we need to fix this first...this room is so tiny and I'm not sure where we'll go with it all..
Mirrors may be the answer. Reflecting the chi back into your room may help. The whole thing with toilets is they suck the energy out when the flush. Keep the lid down for one thing!

Back