Fiddlehead Ferns

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I just had fiddleheads for the first time. If I could think of a way to hot hold these for breakfast, I would. There is about a 2 week time frame around here to get these. We cooked them in olive oil + balsamic vinegar with a little garlic and salt & pepper. They were very similar in taste to asparagus. They would look SO good on a quiche. Not sure how well they would cook up IN the quiche even tho I have found recipes for fiddlehead quiche.

What about on top of a frittata? You could add them uncooked and they could cook in the egg mixture...that's how I do the tomatoes on mine, I don't cook them first, so they don't get soggy...

What about on top of a frittata? You could add them uncooked and they could cook in the egg mixture...that's how I do the tomatoes on mine, I don't cook them first, so they don't get soggy....
On a frittata might work...they won't cook as long. When I bought them at the farmers market I asked about how to cook them. I guess the get slimey if they are cooked too long and then they develop a really bad taste. I think we cooked these just right.
I think the season is over already, but next time I'm at the market I'll look and see if they are still there. I only bought $1's worth to try them out!

they work great in a quiche! I make FH quiche for DH this time of year. We have eaten fiddleheads all our lives. they are huge where i come from. we grew up picking them, eating them, you name it. Unfortunately, yes, the season for them is very short. that's why (where i come from anyway) people are so nuts about getting as many lbs. of them they can. They'll eat them fresh until they are about to explode then they remember they are going to want some for winter so they blanche and freeze them. Like anything else, they are better fresh than frozen but frozen is better than non when you get a hankering for them in January.
We have had fiddlehead quiche for breakfast and our guests loved it. Some have never heard of them and others have.

they work great in a quiche! I make FH quiche for DH this time of year. We have eaten fiddleheads all our lives. they are huge where i come from. we grew up picking them, eating them, you name it. Unfortunately, yes, the season for them is very short. that's why (where i come from anyway) people are so nuts about getting as many lbs. of them they can. They'll eat them fresh until they are about to explode then they remember they are going to want some for winter so they blanche and freeze them. Like anything else, they are better fresh than frozen but frozen is better than non when you get a hankering for them in January.
We have had fiddlehead quiche for breakfast and our guests loved it. Some have never heard of them and others have..
Nice to know I can freeze them. I'll look around some more.

OK learned something new! I thought you were talking about plants for your yard.

One of our local restaurants gets them every year about this time from Vermont - served as an appetizer sauteed in olive oil, sprinkled with manchego cheese on a grilled piece of bread rubbed with garlic. They are great! You could use them as an omelet filling if you were so inclined.

One of our local restaurants gets them every year about this time from Vermont - served as an appetizer sauteed in olive oil, sprinkled with manchego cheese on a grilled piece of bread rubbed with garlic. They are great! You could use them as an omelet filling if you were so inclined..
Sprinkled with cheese...
thumbs_up.gif

We have an upscale restaurant across the street from me and they have fiddleheads on their menu. Just the name makes me want to gag! LOL

I would love to try them but there's not a high likelihood that I'll see them on a menu around here...unless they're FRIED!! haha!

i am soooo sorry, but i think these are one of the ugliest veggies i've ever seen. they remind me of little green snakes! i just can't seem to get past it. you won't find them on MY quiche .... ever ... will have to send folks to bree's place for that!!

I would love to try them but there's not a high likelihood that I'll see them on a menu around here...unless they're FRIED!! haha!.
And why not fried? Altho I'm not sure how well they would hold up. But, if you can fry okra, you can fry anything.

Here it is ramps. There are ramp festivals and ramp dinners and people parked at wide spots in the road selling ramps! It ONLY grows in the wild. They have tried to cultivate them to no avail. The season is very short and in the Spring.
It is sort of like a green onion with a broader greens. I maintain GOD took the worst of green onions and married it to the worst of garlic and "married" them. I make a potato-ramp soup that is good but that is the only way I will eat them. Warning to anyone who has dined on ramps - do not go near (breathe) anyone who has not eaten them, for at least three days. They may go down so easy but the aftermath is POTENT. Mints do not cut it!

You ate fiddleheads?! As a meat eater and non vegan, I take offence at you chomping on fiddleheads! Long live the fiddleheads! Long live green stuff!

Back