Filed under: Can't win for losing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohboy.
yes, a b&b is a business, but it's not (usually) set up like a hotel with a lobby that anyone can come in to, maybe with a public restaurant and public restrooms included.
when a guest is given a key or a code to access the front door, they know darn well that it's intended for their use while they are a guest..
seashanty said:
ohboy.
yes, a b&b is a business, but it's not (usually) set up like a hotel with a lobby that anyone can come in to, maybe with a public restaurant and public restrooms included.
Unfortunately, no one realizes this until they walk in. That sign out front signals to all that there is no need to knock or ring the bell UNLESS the door won't open.

Door bell was refferenced in this thread.
Do any have more than one bell wired to the door buzzer?

Do any have more than one bell wired to the door buzzer?.
One Day said:
Care to explain that? We have a repeater so the doorbell rings in more than one place, including OUTSIDE so the guests don't learn on the bell thinking it didn't ring.

One Day said:
Care to explain that? We have a repeater so the doorbell rings in more than one place, including OUTSIDE so the guests don't learn on the bell thinking it didn't ring.
Morticia said:
We have a repeater so the doorbell rings in more than one place, including OUTSIDE so the guests don't learn on the bell thinking it didn't ring.
smileystooges.gif

One Day said:
Morticia said:
We have a repeater so the doorbell rings in more than one place, including OUTSIDE so the guests don't learn on the bell thinking it didn't ring.
smileystooges.gif

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
smileystooges.gif
That ONE, small change has made a world of difference in doorbell leaning!

The Year Virginia Became a State - 1788
Mort you have never stayed here. May I share what I do with our guests?
I print out a sheet with like 25 codes on it WITH a bit of trivia. (I cut them into little pieces and give them to guests) So once they have it in their hand plus pocket it helps.
The code is always trivia. Once people associate it with something they remember it. I use local trivia or someone they might know of, that also helps. Although the date is rarely known to them.
The Year Virginia Became a State - 1788. (That is it, just like that, no name of the B&B or anything else)
I try to not use double digits as I want all the buttons to get even wear, so that is not our current code, but I did use it last year..
Yup, I was thinking of that...something fun and trivial. But that doesn't stop the ones who haul the little piece of paper around with them and come in the next week! Or after shopping. Or whatever. See, we have a lot of that here. 'We'll just get the car later.' And they let themselves in again.
If I hd a spare washroom, not a problem. But these guests will come in and go around looking for an open door.
It's kind of like what I was talking about the other day...the problem keeps recurring and I haven't done anything about it.
We constantly changed the code when we could. We kept a list of the codes so that we didn't repeat them. We weren't clever enough to use Joey's method but having been a guest of hers, it makes the code interesting.

Arkie - that is the one we have now... works so much easier than the one you have to remove a panel on to reset.
JB - you are right nothing is perfect - nothing fool proof - but each of us needs to find that 'better way' that works for them under their circumstances..
Copper, we had the Schlage lock that you just had to erase and re-enter a new code on the keypad. Quiet, simple, and the guests liked learning a new skill. lol! Aside from the infrequent guest that thought the door would open magically after entering the code, we rarely had problems.

We, too, have a similar Schlage model (same programming process). I was wondering, Morticia, what the big deal was about changing the code, then I remembered your lock is like the one we have on our private quarters. That lock is a pain.
You might want to consider changing locks. We only have 4 rooms, but honestly, it's so straightforward to change the code, pretty much as soon as I see they're out the door, they get five minutes (or less, if I'm busy), and that code gets deleted. Because we have so few rooms, I give each guest a code specific to them and we haven't had anyone forget (yet). But even if guest-specific codes weren't an option, the add/delete code process is simple enough to change codes weekly..
I need a lock with more combos allowed (at least 10) and an easy way to swap them out. I'll look around. We can use this lock on the front door or on our door.
If it's easy, I'll do it myself every morning right after brekkie. But not when the lock requires disassembling!
I think I would be shopping for a new lock. NOPE....Disassembling a lock is not convenient :-(
catlady said:
I think I would be shopping for a new lock. NOPE....Disassembling a lock is not convenient :-(
Found one (or more!). 20 programmable slots, programs from the keypad, no noise. Will be ordering later on today. Directions for programming seem pretty straightforward. 1-2-3-4-done.
It'll be a bit of work in the summer to get this done everyday, but less of a hassle than what we've been thru so far. And then I can put the other lock on my door so it is locked all the time and I don't have to deal with nosy guests popping in on me in my jammies! Plus, I will be able to get into my house thru the inn when the doors are locked, something I can't do right now because I never have the keys with me.
Sounds like the one that we bought for our second house, with a lever handle. That one was easy as pie for guests to operate amd a snap to re-program. We had the deadbolt keypad on our house which required a mini tutorial to make sure that they knew how to re-lock it when they exited the housebut it was all part of the tour.
Yay! You figured it out....keep us posted!

I have the answers to all of Morticia's issues with the key pad.
A little background story - as I saw a guest with his NOSE right up to the keypad this a.m. I thought of Mortie's sometimes older guests and my suggestion is this - hang a pair of reading glasses on a string on the door! :)
This may be the whole issue.
I admit like a day like today, early there are shadows on the door esp in the corner where the keypad is located. Of course the numbers are like all numbers (not a keyboard keypad) but reg phone sequence beginning with ONE in the top left.

One Day said:
Morticia said:
smileystooges.gif

copperhead said:
Morticia said:
smileystooges.gif
That ONE, small change has made a world of difference in doorbell leaning!
Yup....that's what I was asking.

Back