Final Report

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we were out of the country and had no phone service (although I admit that both trips were for a much shorter time than your vacation), I changed the biz voice mail message to say that the inn was closed for that period of time, please don't leave a message that needed to be returned before such and such a date, but please book online! Any questions, we would check email several times a day and would be happy to get back to them via email.
It worked beautifully for me. But we also got almost all our reservations via our website and not from phone calls. And, we took one vacation during our dead time of the year in the Summer. Maybe that could be a consideration for the future for you..
Samster said:
When we were out of the country and had no phone service (although I admit that both trips were for a much shorter time than your vacation), I changed the biz voice mail message to say that the inn was closed for that period of time, please don't leave a message that needed to be returned before such and such a date, but please book online! Any questions, we would check email several times a day and would be happy to get back to them via email.
It worked beautifully for me. But we also got almost all our reservations via our website and not from phone calls. And, we took one vacation during our dead time of the year in the Summer. Maybe that could be a consideration for the future for you.
I did not get to choose when I went - I really wanted to go the end of April and be back by Memorial Day. That did not work out for Fred and he was sending me the plane ticket. I also knew that if I was going to go, it was going to be long enough to REALLY see things and it was. It also ended up being a good thing since I was occupied for 6 weeks that included April, giving me the financials to cover while I was gone etc. I also did not want anyone to know we were not here and do not want to use the word closed until the day I last lock the door. It was a learning experience - I now have call forwarding in my phone line and forward to my cell phone when we go out. One is never too old to learn.
I don't think there's really anything wrong with using the word "closed". Many businesses close for vacations, renovations, repairs - especially during a slow or "off" season. We also didn't choose the timing of one of our trips when we were out of the country, since it was attached to a business trip for my dh in his other job. We had a pretty good occupancy rate and had plenty of bookings online while we were gone. Being able to check email and respond was essential!!
I always have neighbors (that we hire as housesitters for a small sum) stopping by a couple of times a day to check on things, so that anyone driving by would see some activity at both houses and not presume that no one was here. It's also good in case anything unexpected happens....in July we had couple of giant tree limbs fall between our house & garage and land on both roofs!!!
I wouldn't ever say "closed", would be too afraid that information would get into the wrong hands and there'd be a burglary while we were gone.

It worked beautifully for me. But we also got almost all our reservations via our website and not from phone calls. And, we took one vacation during our dead time of the year in the Summer. Maybe that could be a consideration for the future for you..
Samster said:
It worked beautifully for me. But we also got almost all our reservations via our website and not from phone calls. And, we took one vacation during our dead time of the year in the Summer. Maybe that could be a consideration for the future for you.
I did not get to choose when I went - I really wanted to go the end of April and be back by Memorial Day. That did not work out for Fred and he was sending me the plane ticket. I also knew that if I was going to go, it was going to be long enough to REALLY see things and it was. It also ended up being a good thing since I was occupied for 6 weeks that included April, giving me the financials to cover while I was gone etc. I also did not want anyone to know we were not here and do not want to use the word closed until the day I last lock the door. It was a learning experience - I now have call forwarding in my phone line and forward to my cell phone when we go out. One is never too old to learn.
I don't think there's really anything wrong with using the word "closed". Many businesses close for vacations, renovations, repairs - especially during a slow or "off" season. We also didn't choose the timing of one of our trips when we were out of the country, since it was attached to a business trip for my dh in his other job. We had a pretty good occupancy rate and had plenty of bookings online while we were gone. Being able to check email and respond was essential!!
I always have neighbors (that we hire as housesitters for a small sum) stopping by a couple of times a day to check on things, so that anyone driving by would see some activity at both houses and not presume that no one was here. It's also good in case anything unexpected happens....in July we had couple of giant tree limbs fall between our house & garage and land on both roofs!!!
I wouldn't ever say "closed", would be too afraid that information would get into the wrong hands and there'd be a burglary while we were gone.
I always say closed for renovations for that reason cos then it sounds like you will be there with hords of workmen etc.

I put it on our voicemail "Our office is closed until..." and then to book any time from our website blah blah blah. Have I lost business? Perhaps, but I also may lose a booking from not answering the phone at 11pm at night, which I won't do either, or standing in line in the grocery store. :)
I dont need to tell anyone anything, our office is closed, pure and simple.

gillumhouse said:
OK, I said I would give opinion of the phone service while I was in Europe.
I thought she was talking about a cell phone she took to Europe...It took a while for it all to register for me-

[COLOR= #1f497d]Kathleen,[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]I signed onto this forum today to clear up some misconceptions. As your sales rep I do sincerely apologize for any miscommunications that occurred between you and our center. I have spoken with our corporate office to make sure that your account was credited last week and it had already been taken care of. Normally our business thrives on a long term relationship as we get to know the Inns and they get to know us. Everyone settles in so to speak. I know that it was a learning experience for you and we honestly do appreciate the opportunity.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]While you were in Europe, I reached out to you a couple of times when I noticed you were online to see how things were going on a business level as well as to drop a few “Hi ya’s your way.” [/COLOR]J[COLOR= #1f497d] I’ve tried to provide you with the best customer service possible while you were in Germany as I do genuinely care about all of my clients. You told me this was your first real vacation so I wanted to make sure everything went smoothly because I know it is very hard for the B&B industry to take a break! I even logged in and voted for your hometown everyday so that you guys could win the contest money! I know you didn't win (Boo!) but I did hear the "whooo hooos" 10 times a day in the effort to help! [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]Based on our relationship, all I would've asked is if you could've given me the opportunity to rectify any of your concerns before venting on an open forum. I do sincerely wish you the best and look forward to seeing you in the future. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]Mindy[/COLOR].
The Sales Rep said:
[COLOR= #1f497d]Kathleen,[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]I signed onto this forum today to clear up some misconceptions. As your sales rep I do sincerely apologize for any miscommunications that occurred between you and our center. I have spoken with our corporate office to make sure that your account was credited last week and it had already been taken care of. Normally our business thrives on a long term relationship as we get to know the Inns and they get to know us. Everyone settles in so to speak. I know that it was a learning experience for you and we honestly do appreciate the opportunity.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]While you were in Europe, I reached out to you a couple of times when I noticed you were online to see how things were going on a business level as well as to drop a few “Hi ya’s your way.” [/COLOR]J[COLOR= #1f497d] I’ve tried to provide you with the best customer service possible while you were in Germany as I do genuinely care about all of my clients. You told me this was your first real vacation so I wanted to make sure everything went smoothly because I know it is very hard for the B&B industry to take a break! I even logged in and voted for your hometown everyday so that you guys could win the contest money! I know you didn't win (Boo!) but I did hear the "whooo hooos" 10 times a day in the effort to help! [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]Based on our relationship, all I would've asked is if you could've given me the opportunity to rectify any of your concerns before venting on an open forum. I do sincerely wish you the best and look forward to seeing you in the future. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #1f497d]Mindy[/COLOR]
Hey Mindy,
You'll have to get with the times. We deal with people complaining on TripAdvisor all the time without talking to us first. And services are right behind us with web sites like Angies List. The day of company privacy regarding customer service complaints is long over.
RIki

I put it on our voicemail "Our office is closed until..." and then to book any time from our website blah blah blah. Have I lost business? Perhaps, but I also may lose a booking from not answering the phone at 11pm at night, which I won't do either, or standing in line in the grocery store. :)
I dont need to tell anyone anything, our office is closed, pure and simple..
Thank you for clarifying that I'm not the only one to let the cat out of the bag that our office may actually have been closed sometimes!! We were a home and a business. We're not robots...we need a break sometimes, even if the break isn't an actual "vacation" but doing repairs/renovations.

Guess what - this service is a topic of discussion on the PAII Forum. I told of my experience - they are charging this innkeeper $40 per month plus .95 per minute - I told them what my charges were. BTW, I have not heard anything about an adjustment of my bill so I guess I will be sending them the $115 & change this week to close the books on it. I found HER post today to be VERY interesting.
Here is her post

We have decided to sign up for the service as we will be in Italy and there is no way that we can have calls forwarded to us and we can't expect a friend to do this for us for two weeks. They want to start the service for free before we leave to make sure that there are no kinks in the service. They told us about the other innkeeper that went to Europe and there were many problems with emails. My biggest concern was all the calls we get from sales people that I just hang up on. I hate paying anyone to take those calls. They said they would decline the calls and only charge us for a portion of a minute to answer the call.
I wonder what they told her. I read e-mails almost every day and only once did I go 4 days without having e-mail available.

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

Final, final comment. Got an e-mail a few minutes ago. They did adjust the July bill. I now owe $7.37 which I will pay gladly.

You really can't win with "management responses." If you say too little, you're "abrupt and uncaring." If you say too much, you're "obfuscating." If you give an explanation, you're "whining."
Now, given, I'm thinking about the science of responding to Trip Advisor reviews, but the response to K's post from her vendor by others on this list is very illuminating.
We want our guests to cut us some slack if everything isn't "perfect," but when a clusterf*** happens to us, well, all charity goes out the door. I think K's statement of partial culpability was wonderful and very instructive. She was dealing with a vendor who, she believed, promised a certain menu of services, but when she actually began using them, discovered that her perception of their promises and what they actually were able to deliver were very different.
As an innkeeper, I certainly understand this dilemma. K has been in the B&B trenches for a long time, and I so admire her willingness to point out the mistakes she made dealing with this particular vendor.
The lesson I'm taking away is for me, as a B&B owner, not to promise or imply services or accommodations or amenities I can't deliver.
Tom

You really can't win with "management responses." If you say too little, you're "abrupt and uncaring." If you say too much, you're "obfuscating." If you give an explanation, you're "whining."
Now, given, I'm thinking about the science of responding to Trip Advisor reviews, but the response to K's post from her vendor by others on this list is very illuminating.
We want our guests to cut us some slack if everything isn't "perfect," but when a clusterf*** happens to us, well, all charity goes out the door. I think K's statement of partial culpability was wonderful and very instructive. She was dealing with a vendor who, she believed, promised a certain menu of services, but when she actually began using them, discovered that her perception of their promises and what they actually were able to deliver were very different.
As an innkeeper, I certainly understand this dilemma. K has been in the B&B trenches for a long time, and I so admire her willingness to point out the mistakes she made dealing with this particular vendor.
The lesson I'm taking away is for me, as a B&B owner, not to promise or imply services or accommodations or amenities I can't deliver.
Tom.
We just had a guest ask if we could 'promise' they would have a great time here. How the heck can we do that? 'Good time' is completely subjective and depends on the mood of the guest!

Tom.
We just had a guest ask if we could 'promise' they would have a great time here. How the heck can we do that? 'Good time' is completely subjective and depends on the mood of the guest!
Madeleine said:
Because we're close to a major Colorado ski area, it isn't unusual to have inquiries about the snow conditions. And people ask what seem to be the silliest questions. A potential guest from Florida asks, "Do you think I'll need a sweater when I come to your lodge in February? I'm sort of cold-blooded."
You have to slap yourself before you log on to your e-mail: "We're at 8700 feet, and if you get chilly at sea level, perhaps you might consider skiing in a 3-mill wetsuit--or 5 mil if you're really cold-blooded."
The deal is, information is key. People don't have a clue. Treating people well who seem to be nice is important because they really aren't stupid. They're just uninformed.
We have a super-secret marketing technique: we get really excited about giving people information about our area.
And our rooms are clean. And the food is superb.

Tom.
Were you tempted to deadpan a "Yes." ;)

Tom.
Madeleine said:
Because we're close to a major Colorado ski area, it isn't unusual to have inquiries about the snow conditions. And people ask what seem to be the silliest questions. A potential guest from Florida asks, "Do you think I'll need a sweater when I come to your lodge in February? I'm sort of cold-blooded."
You have to slap yourself before you log on to your e-mail: "We're at 8700 feet, and if you get chilly at sea level, perhaps you might consider skiing in a 3-mill wetsuit--or 5 mil if you're really cold-blooded."
The deal is, information is key. People don't have a clue. Treating people well who seem to be nice is important because they really aren't stupid. They're just uninformed.
We have a super-secret marketing technique: we get really excited about giving people information about our area.
And our rooms are clean. And the food is superb.
This was the second 20 minute phone conversation with this guest with his wife in the background telling him not to book to keep checking other places, ask them if they have this amenity (the OTHER place does), ask them if we can walk to..., ask them....
For Pete's sake put HER on the phone, it'll go faster.
We don't use superlatives in describing ourselves (like 'superb') because that sets expectations way too high for the product we offer. Plain home cooking, traditional accommodations and a central location. (And we've had guests say they had to walk too far so we try to avoid 'central' now and only use hard numbers- one tenth of a mile- when we describe location.)

Tom.
toddburme said:
Not even tempted. Although, a few witty comebacks came to mind.

Tom.
toddburme said:
Prospective PITA - Can you guarantee me a good time?
Usually supportive of PITA's, innkeeper - Yes. The only people who don't are extremely unattractive or of an inordinately low IQ. You don't have either of these?

Tom.
toddburme said:
Usually supportive of PITA's, innkeeper - Yes. The only people who don't are extremely unattractive or of an inordinately low IQ. You don't have either of these?
toddburme said:
Wait. Am I unattractive or do I have an inordinately low IQ or did you mean the guest?
wink_smile.gif

Tom.
What the ??? Oh no I can't promise that...you will have a crappy time! Good grief what do they want. If they are counting on you to entertain them, they can forget it. Make your own good time people!

Back