Finally... a Chart!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I have been looking for a chart of fruits and spices for a long time. Well in the Pastry Chef's Companion, at the very end in the Appendenices I found one. So now I can look at blueberries and know that I can use cardamon with blueberries (who knew!), cloves or allspice with cranberries. Red wine and blackberries (how I'd do that with breakfast, I don't know...) Strawberries and pink peppercorns or Szechwan peppercorns! And apparently strawberries go well with roses, violets and of course balsamic vinegar (already knew about the balsamic vinegar.)
They even have a list of nuts (pineapple and cashews, coconuts and brazil nuts, lemon verbena and pistachios, lemongrass and pistachios, mangos and macadamia nuts, just to name a few.
Other interesting combos, amarettos and apples, pears and cassis, coffee and dates, white pepper and pears. Chinese five-spice and peaches/nectarines or mangos, Rosemary and plums or apricots. Basil and pineapple. Thyme and mango or pineapple. Something interesting to try and see if I like.

Pepper jelly and cream cheese. Rioja and Spanish women.

Good to know there's a chart. Not being a cook (real or imagined) the way I've always done this pairing stuff is to stand still (that part helps me) and to picture the items together. Either colorwise or tastewise.
DH wanted to pair tomatoes with some other red food the other day and I pictured those 2 clashing reds on the plate together and had to advise not to go there.

mm all I know is the list is making me hungry, I am a fruit addict, any and all even paw paw that smells like dirty feet!

Here is an online version - seems to be much shorter, but still may be an eye opener.
Tomato and watermelon salad (with a sprinkle of feta cheese and basil chiffonade) would be a lovely starter or garnish in the summer, Maddie.

Here is an online version - seems to be much shorter, but still may be an eye opener.
Tomato and watermelon salad (with a sprinkle of feta cheese and basil chiffonade) would be a lovely starter or garnish in the summer, Maddie..
I don't think it was watermelon but I would have thought that an odd combo without the basil to break it up. Horizons expanding all the time...
Heck, it took me quite awhile to convince him that mango and blueberries belonged together.

Tomato and watermelon salad (with a sprinkle of feta cheese and basil chiffonade) would be a lovely starter or garnish in the summer, Maddie..
muirford said:
Tomato and watermelon salad (with a sprinkle of feta cheese and basil chiffonade) would be a lovely starter or garnish in the summer, Maddie.
whattha.gif
I am dying here... yum

muirford said:
OMGosh...I am drooooooling here :)

Being a pastry book, I didn't really see much mention of tomatoes. Basil was definitely listed for blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, while blackberry and cranberry were not to be mixed with basil.
I have to say the pears seem to be the most versatile on the whole list. On the list of fruit the few items that pears aren't mixed with are... amaretto, bananas, banana liqueur, coffee, curry, dark chocolate, kumquats, lemon, lemon verbena, lemongrass, melon, midori, peanuts. In a three page list.
In fact pear goes well with all the berries, almonds, black walnuts, cashews, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios and walnuts (but not well with macadamias, peanuts, brazil nuts and chestnuts.)

Eric can you have a peek in there and tell me if STAR FRUIT is listed. I can imagine anise with star fruit from looks alone.
SCORE for this innkeeper, they had them at .50cents a piece in my grocery store (havign them there at all is exciting all in itself!) I was super happy, esp since I have a fruit, cheese and crackers plate today at check in! Star fruit are the stars! Most guests have never ever seen them before.

Being a pastry book, I didn't really see much mention of tomatoes. Basil was definitely listed for blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, while blackberry and cranberry were not to be mixed with basil.
I have to say the pears seem to be the most versatile on the whole list. On the list of fruit the few items that pears aren't mixed with are... amaretto, bananas, banana liqueur, coffee, curry, dark chocolate, kumquats, lemon, lemon verbena, lemongrass, melon, midori, peanuts. In a three page list.
In fact pear goes well with all the berries, almonds, black walnuts, cashews, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios and walnuts (but not well with macadamias, peanuts, brazil nuts and chestnuts.)
Pears are the one fruit I adore from a can. I had them last night with cottage cheese. Although I rarely serve to our guests, they grow them all over in this community (alognside apple trees) and they are always so ugly, but you can peel and make all sorts of goodies with them! I guess I am lazy as the time pears are in is our peak season here and I have many other options in the fruit dept of the inn.

Eric can you have a peek in there and tell me if STAR FRUIT is listed. I can imagine anise with star fruit from looks alone.
SCORE for this innkeeper, they had them at .50cents a piece in my grocery store (havign them there at all is exciting all in itself!) I was super happy, esp since I have a fruit, cheese and crackers plate today at check in! Star fruit are the stars! Most guests have never ever seen them before..
The veggie mart had star fruit today @ 2 for 99. I got 2 of them - have to let them ripen a bit - and got 3 containers of red raspberries for $1.50. I made a fruit bowl for my student today (better than letting it spoil) with the orange honeydew (the cantaloupe was too old so it got tossed) and some of the berries from the freezer. since she seemed to like the red raspberries, i got them today. (So much for my no breakfast - i got a box of cereal for $1 so put out the cereal ( milk, juice & coffee, and a dish of fruit this morning. We had a vat of veggie soup Sunday when she arrived and last night I had 2 humungo chicken breakfast that I brought home from the funeral dinner for her and me for dinner. I take care of my students.)

SCORE for this innkeeper, they had them at .50cents a piece in my grocery store (havign them there at all is exciting all in itself!) I was super happy, esp since I have a fruit, cheese and crackers plate today at check in! Star fruit are the stars! Most guests have never ever seen them before..
I checked the book and it only has one mention of them...
"Carambola ... it makes an interesting garnish for pastries and desserts, and also an interesting addition to fruit salads... Also known as star fruit ."
When I have used them, they are slightly astringent if they are underripe.

Pears are the one fruit I adore from a can. I had them last night with cottage cheese. Although I rarely serve to our guests, they grow them all over in this community (alognside apple trees) and they are always so ugly, but you can peel and make all sorts of goodies with them! I guess I am lazy as the time pears are in is our peak season here and I have many other options in the fruit dept of the inn.
Pears are great. I love putting a little butter in a pan, cutting them in 16 slices and then browning them on one side. Add a little sugar before I turn them over and then brown them on the other side. Even if they are unripe this makes them delicious! And guests gobble them up like this.
I also make pear sauce (instead of apple sauce or mixed half and half with apple sauce) and everyone smacks their lips after it.

Anyone who emails me, I will do my best to find a list :)

"Carambola ... it makes an interesting garnish for pastries and desserts, and also an interesting addition to fruit salads... Also known as star fruit ."
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Appreciate it! I use it as garnish on fruit plates. Fruit salads I would place right on top - they are spectacular. I have 3 left for this week. You really should skin the edges of them with a peeler or paring knife as they get black, but honestly I really like the edges a little darker it makes them contrast more, so I don't skin/peel that part off!
Here is one in action - I will post all the images I shared on Facebook and twitter (again, everyone, not asking for food or room photography training, just sharing these that I just took), but thanks anyway (you know who you are) I would gladly allow a profe photog to stay here for an entire week free of charge should he or she wish to come and take photos for me (and no I am not kidding). Bring that wide angle lense and let's go to town!
(I removed the B&B links on these, here are the images only)
  • Romantic addons for the Sierra Suite - Cheese, crackers, fruit and sparkling cider. /http://twitpic.com/8mxnmq King Size bed, private entrance from the gardens, flat screen digital cable tv, sitting area w/ sofa and wingback chair, this is a sunken room. ROMANCE!
  • Virginia is for Lovers Yawl! http://twitpic.com/8mxow1
  • I am delivering breakfast to this room tomorrow...http://twitpic.com/8mxpju
  • A better shot of the room from the bed area. Our largest room, The Sierra Suite 350sq feet. http://twitpic.com/8mxq8o

Pears are great. I love putting a little butter in a pan, cutting them in 16 slices and then browning them on one side. Add a little sugar before I turn them over and then brown them on the other side. Even if they are unripe this makes them delicious! And guests gobble them up like this.
I also make pear sauce (instead of apple sauce or mixed half and half with apple sauce) and everyone smacks their lips after it.
Pears are one of my favorite fruits to bake and serve..and I think they are superb with almond flavoring. I'll put 2 versions of my baked pear recipe in the proper thread but suffice to say that they are easy peasy and always get rave reviews!

"Red wine and blackberries (how I'd do that with breakfast, I don't know..."
Bring Red wine to boil point, throwing in (if you want any or all or none) some orange zest and /or orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, cloves, apple juice ...
Boil until thick and syrupy - be careful because when it gets thick it can burn very quickly
Great with blackberries, strawberries, poached apples or pears
Or if you really have a lot of time make a creme anglaise and put a little of each sauce on the plate or over the fruits.
ok to reheat sauce .. slowly ....

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Appreciate it! I use it as garnish on fruit plates. Fruit salads I would place right on top - they are spectacular. I have 3 left for this week. You really should skin the edges of them with a peeler or paring knife as they get black, but honestly I really like the edges a little darker it makes them contrast more, so I don't skin/peel that part off!
Here is one in action - I will post all the images I shared on Facebook and twitter (again, everyone, not asking for food or room photography training, just sharing these that I just took), but thanks anyway (you know who you are) I would gladly allow a profe photog to stay here for an entire week free of charge should he or she wish to come and take photos for me (and no I am not kidding). Bring that wide angle lense and let's go to town!
(I removed the B&B links on these, here are the images only)
  • Romantic addons for the Sierra Suite - Cheese, crackers, fruit and sparkling cider. /http://twitpic.com/8mxnmq King Size bed, private entrance from the gardens, flat screen digital cable tv, sitting area w/ sofa and wingback chair, this is a sunken room. ROMANCE!
  • Virginia is for Lovers Yawl! http://twitpic.com/8mxow1
  • I am delivering breakfast to this room tomorrow...http://twitpic.com/8mxpju
  • A better shot of the room from the bed area. Our largest room, The Sierra Suite 350sq feet. http://twitpic.com/8mxq8o
Joey Bloggs said:
I have three photographer friends. One is a workaholic and rarely goes anywhere but would do your inn proud, and I think you would love him. I will forward your information to him. Feed him, give him a beer, he will do what ever you want. He has photographed everything from people to a 1400 pound Friesian charging him in the snow, to his collection of orchids. I will try to send some of his shots to you with his contact information.
He does some cool work with a 35 mm film lens on his digital camera.

Jeanne, I agree. I am not a fan of watermelon, but I like that savory combo, and did it as a garnish here in the Summer.

Back