Finally a first

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbendnewbie

Reaction score
Well I finally had my first last minute cancellation(less than 24 hr.). It was a special Valentines package and I had bought special things which really was not that big a deal however it still ticked me off. He e-mails me and said that unfortunately they could not make it and please do not charge his credit card. Lesson learned--I will put a deposit through for all other reservations. Oh well spring is coming!Look toward the future right?

We had a last minute cancellation as well. Said the flu, but I don't think so since she contacted me five days earlier asking what the cost was and what they ordered. Plus the cancellation was by phone Thursday at 5pm for a Friday checkin. I could have rented it many times over on the Wed before!
We charge one night deposit, and i was able to fill the room and the wine tour with last minute calls but it was still a scramble!
I have been advised to require payment in full by check 30 days in advance for holidays, and might start doing that.
Riki

And? Did you immediately run his credit card?
Lesson #2 - cancellations are not accepted VIA email, they must speak to you in person.

Lesson #2 - cancellations are not accepted VIA email, they must speak to you in person..
We immediately run the credit card before we email them their cancellation number or call them back confirming the cancellation. We do it this way as I've had someone cancel their credit card once.
Riki

Lesson #2 - cancellations are not accepted VIA email, they must speak to you in person..
We immediately run the credit card before we email them their cancellation number or call them back confirming the cancellation. We do it this way as I've had someone cancel their credit card once.
Riki
smart!

Riki
smart!
It only takes one experience of trying to charge a cancelled card your deposit to learn that one!
I have a pita list by the computer in case any of these clowns try to rebook after cancelling.
RIki

Lessons learned--and to make it worse he asked me to keep him posted on future events or specials. Some people have nerve--needless to say I won't be booking him again!

riverbendnewbie said:
Well I finally had my first last minute cancellation(less than 24 hr.). It was a special Valentines package and I had bought special things which really was not that big a deal however it still ticked me off. He e-mails me and said that unfortunately they could not make it and please do not charge his credit card. Lesson learned--I will put a deposit through for all other reservations. Oh well spring is coming!Look toward the future right?
For special packages, where I am out real money if they don't show up, I charge the card as soon as I am ready to make the purchases...flowers, etc. 'Please don't charge my card,' is a real bad attitude in my mind. You booked, you tied up my time and my rooms and someone had better be dead or at least dying. In this case, neither. (BTW, I only get that grumpy when they start in on not charging their card.)

Back