Finally "Home"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanctuary

Reaction score
We're finally "home" and will reopen December 1. It was a very frustrating 11 days at the boatyard for a couple of reasons. First, I hate being without Sanctuary which is why I never go away anywhere unless it involves the yacht and I just take her with me. Second, I went in expecting a quick two-day turn around by just getting the bottom painted. $21,000 and 11 days later, we're home.
Last night, my first night back on my boat, I slept 11 hours and it felt good. For days, I've been restless all night constantly thinking about how much that yard bill was going to turn out to be. It's over and done, and I finally got to sleep. Now, the great clean up begins (after my Michigan football game is over, of course). There is blue-gray dust everywhere from all the sanding the yard did on the bottom. Everything has to be washed and the carpets steam cleaned. I'm going to start on the roof and work my way down.
Before and after. The sheer size of these beasts out of the water still amazes me. And to stand next/under one while they're on the blocks is stunning, to me, anyway. And all of this....floats?!!!
DSCF1621.JPG

My very own coral reef - I wonder if I was supposed to get a permit to disturb all that marine life!
DSCF1628.JPG

Port side running gear all cleaned, trued, and balanced.
DSCF1636.JPG

Heading back to the water for the ride home.
DSCF1635.JPG

Beautiful!! We just back from a short cruise to the Bahamas. Didn't even sail on one of the HUGE Royal Carribbean vessels. I stood and marveled at how big that ship was and how it could float. Plus, I couldn't even feel the ship's movement 99% of the time. Amazing. I've crossed the Atlantic twice on ocean liners and that baffles me even more.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Beautiful!! We just back from a short cruise to the Bahamas. Didn't even sail on one of the HUGE Royal Carribbean vessels. I stood and marveled at how big that ship was and how it could float. Plus, I couldn't even feel the ship's movement 99% of the time. Amazing. I've crossed the Atlantic twice on ocean liners and that baffles me even more.
Thanks! She really is my pride and joy. I can't quite explain how my heart can get so tightly wrapped around a chunk of fiberglass and iron.
We're planning to take Sanctuary to the Bahamas in late May. The Bahamas are close enough (42 miles from here) that we can go for weekend trips, and the water over there is sooooo much nicer than here (and here ain't bad!), but the sharks are greater in number. It's about a four hour boat ride for us at 10 to 12 knots.

Whaaa, that's awesome. Our place is in dry dock too! Painting today but I won't hijack your thread.....much.....

We got the old, rusted metal shed down - would never have managed it without a sawzall. We have the walls and doors on the new shed. Roof tomorrow. DD is accusomed to graveyard shift and is exhausted - this is her sleep time. Tomorrow the roof! It is not as beautiful as Sanctuary but it is my joy for now.

Thanks! She really is my pride and joy. I can't quite explain how my heart can get so tightly wrapped around a chunk of fiberglass and iron.
We're planning to take Sanctuary to the Bahamas in late May. The Bahamas are close enough (42 miles from here) that we can go for weekend trips, and the water over there is sooooo much nicer than here (and here ain't bad!), but the sharks are greater in number. It's about a four hour boat ride for us at 10 to 12 knots.
One of these days I'm going to get down there and see that yacht in person :)

Are you still doing the dockside bed and breakfast or just the charters?

Back