Finally!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
After almost 3 years of being on the market, our inn had finally sold! New innkeepers will be taking over on September 7th. Their inspector is here today and here's hoping they don't find anything major. Their contract only asked us to remedy anything that was 'big' (over $10k). Fingers crossed. Now, I've got to find somewhere to go!

Yay! Good luck! We’ve been couch surfing trying to find a home. It’s not what I recommend. We’ve looked at twenty houses in three weeks and every one of them had some truly bizarre layout or problem and was about $100k over a realistic price. And then they sold.

Congrats!! Do you know WHERE you want to settle? Or are you planning to stay in your current city? May only the best find you.

(It was the thought of packing up my side of the house that made me change my mind about selling.)

Congrats!! Do you know WHERE you want to settle? Or are you planning to stay in your current city? May only the best find you.

(It was the thought of packing up my side of the house that made me change my mind about selling.)
OMG! The packing! We didn’t think we had a lot of stuff, but the movers said they used every sticker on the roll that was assigned to our move — 500 stickers! We hadn’t realized we’d moved into every non-inn related space — the attic(s), the basement, the tool shed. Oh dear!

Moving from a 900 sq ft ranch house in Illinois was bad enough. We had a couple yard sales and gave away a LOT but still had a lot of stuff (He had to build more book shelves) when we moved into 2300 sq ft 2-story. 10 years later, one bedroom that had bee storage room was cut in half to create a private bathroom so storage space was even tighter. (The attic does not have much in it because the access is so crappy.) ALL my stuff (and what remains of his is in 2-rooms and my office. The advantage of just staying here is that the kids can just rent a couple dumpsters when I go room temp - they will not care in the least what is in those tubs & drawers of papers. I am their "Other Mother". I am clearing out as much as possible of MY family stuff and sending it to a niece as my son has no kids to pass it on to.

Yay! Good luck! We’ve been couch surfing trying to find a home. It’s not what I recommend. We’ve looked at twenty houses in three weeks and every one of them had some truly bizarre layout or problem and was about $100k over a realistic price. And then they sold.
I think that is a big part of why I decided I didn't want to retire. The more I look at houses and options I never found anything that fitted my needs and desires as well as just staying put.

OMG! The packing! We didn’t think we had a lot of stuff, but the movers said they used every sticker on the roll that was assigned to our move — 500 stickers! We hadn’t realized we’d moved into every non-inn related space — the attic(s), the basement, the tool shed. Oh dear!
Moving here was such an ordeal, that when we discuss selling, we always conclude that we will die here. Moving is really hard! I wish you as easy a transition as possible. Best of luck.

We have a little nest egg via a barter club that we can apply to the moving costs. We are having fun looking at properties online, but understand that they won't be available when our place sells.

We have a little nest egg via a barter club that we can apply to the moving costs. We are having fun looking at properties online, but understand that they won't be available when our place sells.
This is what we’ve experienced — our realtor gets us in to see houses that are not yet listed, we make an offer the same day, oh sorry, too late.

After almost 3 years of being on the market, our inn had finally sold! New innkeepers will be taking over on September 7th. Their inspector is here today and here's hoping they don't find anything major. Their contract only asked us to remedy anything that was 'big' (over $10k). Fingers crossed. Now, I've got to find somewhere to go!
I wish you the best of luck! Moving is hard work under the best of circumstances & now there are other challenges. I'm glad I finally convinced my husband to retire then, as we couldn't afford to build this house now with the boom here in our new state/city, rising prices, and bidding on lots! Yikes! It was a painful and costly move with 2 houses to sell and getting rid of so much stuff, plus terrible realtors. But it was the BEST decision ever. Hang in there!!

Back