Finding a live in manager

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankstaley

Reaction score
I own a ten room property in a Florida beach community. I have a need to replace the live in manager I inherited who has been at the property five years. I'm not exactly sure how to do this. Should I place a newspaper ad? Post a job on an online job site? What experience have others had with this?
I prefer an empty nested couple. Since the area is popular with military retirees, I've considered a recently retired officer and spouse. At present, I'm paying $20,000 plus accommodations and all utilities. Is this reasonable? It is a very desirable area and renting an apartment of the size provided would be at least $1200/month plus utilities. I'm certainly willing to pay more if I can tie their salary to production goals.
Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.
thank you

too bad you want a couple or i would apply for the job. seriously.
it sounds great to me!
you can post an ad on bandb.com on paii.com on bbonline.com on bbteam.com maybe here? check with swirt but i think it would be fine .... go right to the places where aspirings (and displaceds like me) go, and i am sure you will find lots of applicants.
good luck!

welcome.gif

I would hire her if I needed a innkeeper. Don't let this one get away! She really knows plenty about innkeeping. If you don't believe me read what she has to say here!

I second the vote that you consider Seashanty. She has considersable experience and the most important quality: She CARES about her guests and understands EXCELLENT customer serivce.
Riki

You could not do better than SeaShanty. You just won't find someone who cares as much.

Another vote for SS....
But she has also provided a great list of places to list your ad....a newspaper listing would most likely produce an anexperienced lot. For the size of your place and due the the fact it is established and doing well, would you want to risk all that with management that has no knowledge of the business?
Wish you the best of luck in your persuit.

Though I've never met her, I (based on her forum posts) would vouch for seashanty's character and her knowledge of Innkeeping. It's clear to me that the comfort and safety of her guests is always first in her mind.

With all due respect Hank, it looks like you work for (or own) a hotel advisory and investment services firm that represents some pretty large hotels. Do you actually own an inn, or do you represent the owners?

We are in the process of searching for a position as Innkepers, the salary is always negotiable. But if you want to search for Innkeepers or aspiting you can go to all the sites that seashanty advised. If you would like to explore the possiblity of speaking to us about the position you can e-mail us.

it sounds great to me!
you can post an ad on bandb.com on paii.com on bbonline.com on bbteam.com maybe here? check with swirt but i think it would be fine .... go right to the places where aspirings (and displaceds like me) go, and i am sure you will find lots of applicants.
good luck!.
you can post an ad on bandb.com on paii.com on bbonline.com on bbteam.com maybe here? check with swirt but i think it would be fine ....
Sure, that can be posted here. It occurs to me that I need to make a section that encourages such things... I'll have to ponder that a bit. Don't really want to invite the inevitable spam...but there is a need for this find of thing. "offered/wanted" or something like that maybe?

it sounds great to me!
good luck!.
you can post an ad on bandb.com on paii.com on bbonline.com on bbteam.com maybe here? check with swirt but i think it would be fine ....
Sure, that can be posted here. It occurs to me that I need to make a section that encourages such things... I'll have to ponder that a bit. Don't really want to invite the inevitable spam...but there is a need for this find of thing. "offered/wanted" or something like that maybe?
swirt said:
To discourage spam, why not a small fee for a paid advertisement? Seems reasonable to me.

it sounds great to me!
good luck!.
swirt said:
MISC

With all due respect Hank, it looks like you work for (or own) a hotel advisory and investment services firm that represents some pretty large hotels. Do you actually own an inn, or do you represent the owners?.
I own an inn. My consulting practice deals with much larger hotels.

With all due respect Hank, it looks like you work for (or own) a hotel advisory and investment services firm that represents some pretty large hotels. Do you actually own an inn, or do you represent the owners?.

you guys are funny! he wants a couple ... but i do thank you for the vote of confidence. ... went sleuthing and actually the property is a hotel ... which is different from a b&b.
update:
because i've received a number of off-forum emails about this post, i'm letting you all know. i have corresponded with Hank. (i even used capital letters where appropriate). it's not the right place for me. i DO thank you, my forum friends, for thinking of me.
regular_smile.gif

We are in the process of searching for a position as Innkepers, the salary is always negotiable. But if you want to search for Innkeepers or aspiting you can go to all the sites that seashanty advised. If you would like to explore the possiblity of speaking to us about the position you can e-mail us..
Who is going to run your place? Seashanty? I'm confused!
I do have a lead for you in Georgetown, SC if you are seriously looking for permanent Innkeeper positions.

I know a few couples who might be interested - let me know if you want their information.

We are in the process of searching for a position as Innkepers, the salary is always negotiable. But if you want to search for Innkeepers or aspiting you can go to all the sites that seashanty advised. If you would like to explore the possiblity of speaking to us about the position you can e-mail us..
I do have a lead for you in Georgetown, SC if you are seriously looking for permanent Innkeeper positions.
suellen222 said:
no. not me. he would prefer a couple to run his hotel. also he and i have, i think, very different philosphies .

No, birdwatcher was offering to run his place, but I was wondering who was going to run their place - you?
I have a lead in Georgetown, SC - interested?

suellen, i emailed you off forum. i don't know anything about birdwatcher's situation but if i recall correctly ... birdwatcher closes for the winter and they are struggling so were talking about closing and getting income elsewhere. no one would be running their business, just caretaking. i think that's the scoop.

Back