Finding Breakfast Scary...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, breakfast was the easiest part of the business and probably what I enjoyed the most. I should just have people over all the time now and cook for them......
regular_smile.gif

I'm not a trained chef but our guests thought that I had been somewhere to learn about presentation, but the truth is that I just read lots of cooking magazines and look at how things are presented. For me that is the fun part, but that might just be me. I think how a table is set and how the food is presented can make a HUGE impact. But you don't have to be a "fancy" place, just go with what works for your place and location! I agree....most people are running out the door and grab something on the go, so they are delighted to be served breakfast....even something very simple.
But I hear your apprehension! Just do what you know and what you're comfortable with. Come up with a half dozen or so breakfast menus that you can eventually do with your eyes closed. Eat at other B&Bs, if you can, and take away ideas and what you like. Look at breakfast photos on other B&B websites. Practice cooking breakfast for some friends or family members that will be honest with you, if you need to. Try to have some help in the morning so that you don't have to worry about refreshing coffee or busing the table.
You will do fine, once you're confidant that you can handle your breakfast service. Let us know how it goes!!!.
We put together about 6 -7 "standard" Breaskfast menus. many could be interchanges. We used the same ones over and over. It became like clockwork and we perfected the timing and presentation...and everyone always ooh and ahhed:) Sure it was the same old same old for us..but for the guests it was new every time. No need to work yourself to death. Work smarter not harder. Find what you do best and stick with it.

I have recently found several nice dishes from the Taste of Home website. What I really like is that readers post reviews, so you can see if a recipe turns out as good as it looks, or if "tweaks" need to be made...beats experimenting with 18 people for breakfast!

Thank you guys so much for the input! It has actually helped a lot! I do like to cook - but I think it's the timing thing that seems so scary to me - if I run late at home - no big deal - not so much if you're paying good money...
I really appreciate some of the suggestions & I think creating a 6-8 menus and perfecting them for friends & family will go a long way in making feel like I can do it. Again thanks for sharing your experiences!

I don't like to cook, and even when David preps me for mornings that he is away, I am in a cold sweat until everyone is eating. I thanks the Good Lord every day that he loves to cook and is so freaking good at it.
We really found that most of our breakfasts go in the oven, very little is done on the stovetop...that makes things pretty easy, just a matter of timing.

Here's my take on cooking.
Had this long diatribe typed out..........decided on a short version.
Start with the tools for cooking..........use decent quality, the best you can find.........sure it can be expensive.......can buy a chef knife for what $7.........or you can buy a high end chef knife for $50 or more..........you'll add to your tools over time.
My cousin who is a chef instructor told me once.......quality tools makes the task easier, and a better quality product when done......when using good tools you phsycologicaly put more care into what you are doing.
After having the kitchen gutted and remodeled I restocked it with new tools my use only...........I have to tell you..........what my cousin told me was true.......before when I was using the tools in the kitchen that we had for many years........I realy didn't care all that much for what I was doing..........once I made the investment to quality tools......I cared more, challenged myself more........and certainly became a much, much better cook.
This may not work for everyone.....as I am sure most can make some realy fantastic food with what ever tools they have.............but........you'd be surprised what just one high quality chef knife and one realy good pan like Al Clad can do to ones inspiration and motivation.

Thank you guys so much for the input! It has actually helped a lot! I do like to cook - but I think it's the timing thing that seems so scary to me - if I run late at home - no big deal - not so much if you're paying good money...
I really appreciate some of the suggestions & I think creating a 6-8 menus and perfecting them for friends & family will go a long way in making feel like I can do it. Again thanks for sharing your experiences!.
Yay! Good luck....and keep us posted on your recipes!
chef.gif

I really appreciate some of the suggestions & I think creating a 6-8 menus and perfecting them for friends & family will go a long way in making feel like I can do it. Again thanks for sharing your experiences!.
innovermyhead said:
I really appreciate some of the suggestions & I think creating a 6-8 menus and perfecting them for friends & family will go a long way in making feel like I can do it. Again thanks for sharing your experiences!
One thing that gives us more time is that we make our muffin batter and freeze it in the pans. Once frozen we pop them out and freeze in bags. then morning of breakfast we take them out and bake. Usually takes about 10 minutes longer when put in the oven frozen. Taste freshly baked because they are!
Riki

Timing IS VERY IMPORTANT. That is something most don't get when they tap on the kitchen door and say "I will have mine with no cheese" etc etc. It is like a production of a TV show "Okay folks, we're live!"
That is the one factor that those who do not cook for groups or have not cooked for a crowd don't get.
You have to serve it up hot, or don't bother serving it at all. Everyone is served HOT FRESH FOOD. Not held food, not warmed food, it needs to be hot and fresh right then, the moment they sit down and are anticipating a great breakfast.
This comes from experience. I mean, think about it, how COULD you do this without much practice? A Chef is not instantly perfected in a kitchen, sure he/she can make all the delightful dishes he wants in his test kitchen - but going live, serving a restaurant-full of customers is another animal altogether.
So you will find what works and what doesn't. For some, it means serving an expanded breakfast time so they can cook each one and serve it up hot, vs a table full of guests where the heat is really on. You didn't mention how many guests you could have at one time?
I will repeat my Costa Rica story. Gorgeous B&B on the beach and they had a sign-up sheet at checkin, a half hour slot for each room. They had more than one table of course, but you put your name down, 7am, 730am, 8am, etc and then you were the ONE being served at that given time. Sure coffee refills, more juice whatever happened after that and you still sat there and enjoyed the morning sunshine and chatted with other guests but you had your time slot to be served.

oh dear ... and i went and posted about worst breakfasts ....
you can see the common complaints ... greasey, cold, not enough or just as though no one cares.
make what you like, what you know, serve it with a smile and you will be great!

innovermyhead said:
One thing that gives us more time is that we make our muffin batter and freeze it in the pans. Once frozen we pop them out and freeze in bags. then morning of breakfast we take them out and bake. Usually takes about 10 minutes longer when put in the oven frozen. Taste freshly baked because they are!
Riki
egoodell said:
innovermyhead said:
Riki
What about preping the night before......holding them in the fridge in the pans over night?

One Day... depending on where you are, again, the reason I mentioned the food handlers class, many locales do not allow you to keep something overnight in the fridge, bacteria and all that fun stuff. For those who do the overnight eggs casseroles, that is one of the biggest no no's for the health dept.
So this is another find out in advance what can and can't be done.

Timing IS VERY IMPORTANT. That is something most don't get when they tap on the kitchen door and say "I will have mine with no cheese" etc etc. It is like a production of a TV show "Okay folks, we're live!"
That is the one factor that those who do not cook for groups or have not cooked for a crowd don't get.
You have to serve it up hot, or don't bother serving it at all. Everyone is served HOT FRESH FOOD. Not held food, not warmed food, it needs to be hot and fresh right then, the moment they sit down and are anticipating a great breakfast.
This comes from experience. I mean, think about it, how COULD you do this without much practice? A Chef is not instantly perfected in a kitchen, sure he/she can make all the delightful dishes he wants in his test kitchen - but going live, serving a restaurant-full of customers is another animal altogether.
So you will find what works and what doesn't. For some, it means serving an expanded breakfast time so they can cook each one and serve it up hot, vs a table full of guests where the heat is really on. You didn't mention how many guests you could have at one time?
I will repeat my Costa Rica story. Gorgeous B&B on the beach and they had a sign-up sheet at checkin, a half hour slot for each room. They had more than one table of course, but you put your name down, 7am, 730am, 8am, etc and then you were the ONE being served at that given time. Sure coffee refills, more juice whatever happened after that and you still sat there and enjoyed the morning sunshine and chatted with other guests but you had your time slot to be served..
Joey Bloggs said:
yes! i've been on one cruise. the first morning, we took breakfast off the buffet line. hard scrambled eggs in a big holding tray ... not good.
the second morning, i just couldn't face those hard eggs. so ..... wandered down to the very far end of the dining room away from the buffet and there was a cook preparing eggs any style .. while you wait. well! what a difference! hot, soft scrambles! he even had fresh spinach, mushrooms, and cheese to toss in.
such a difference!

One Day... depending on where you are, again, the reason I mentioned the food handlers class, many locales do not allow you to keep something overnight in the fridge, bacteria and all that fun stuff. For those who do the overnight eggs casseroles, that is one of the biggest no no's for the health dept.
So this is another find out in advance what can and can't be done..
For those who do the overnight eggs casseroles, that is one of the biggest no no's for the health dept.
Unless you are a commercial food service, the health dept. has no say over what you do in your B & B. There are no state regs if you have a B & B under the 5 rooms. Some health depts make you think this is the law..but it is not. Other's couldn't care less what B & B's do. Remember there is no law in VA that says you have to be inspected by the health dept.( under the room #)...if you don't however, you must state that in your marketing info...though I doubt anyone is checking that.

Yes, you must otherwise post "We are not health dept inspected" that would go over well aye!

I was a scout leader for 5 years and when you have 20 hungry boys wanting a full cooked breakfast you learn to dish it out fast and keep clam under pressure! this is the trial by fire method. I would recomend you invite people over for a weekend and ask them to pretend they are guests to give it a wirl. If you can try and do beakfast for a few before you go for a full house. I don't know what size you are but I can cook and serve for up to 6 on my own or up to 26 with 2 of us. You just have to hope that they don't all come at once. this week we did 18 people in 45 minutes now that was hard work.

For those who do the overnight eggs casseroles, that is one of the biggest no no's for the health dept.
Unless you are a commercial food service, the health dept. has no say over what you do in your B & B. There are no state regs if you have a B & B under the 5 rooms. Some health depts make you think this is the law..but it is not. Other's couldn't care less what B & B's do. Remember there is no law in VA that says you have to be inspected by the health dept.( under the room #)...if you don't however, you must state that in your marketing info...though I doubt anyone is checking that.
Any B&B here with more than one room must be inspected initially when trying to open and then twice yearly by the health department. There are very specific regulations for B&Bs and bed and breakfast inns. This varies greatly from locale to locale. Some places may not serve anything other than a continental. Some places may only use disposable dishes unless they have a commercial kitchen.
Everyone has to check out what applies where they are.

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks Joey.....I recall a thread or two in the past where food handling and health inspections were discussed........certainly something I would have to consider when I consider location...........I'd prefer going south from where I am and still be reasonably close enough to what ever family I have up here.
Let me ask you and anyone else that is doing business in Va........Is the entire State the same where it concerns food and health inspections or is it more a county thing?...........and I have gathered that with 5 rooms or less the regulations are more manageable.
certainly lots and lots of things to consider.....this forum is openning my eyes. More importantly, providing information and practical knowledge that will help me make a more informed decision.

Joey Bloggs said:
Thanks Joey.....I recall a thread or two in the past where food handling and health inspections were discussed........certainly something I would have to consider when I consider location...........I'd prefer going south from where I am and still be reasonably close enough to what ever family I have up here.
Let me ask you and anyone else that is doing business in Va........Is the entire State the same where it concerns food and health inspections or is it more a county thing?...........and I have gathered that with 5 rooms or less the regulations are more manageable.
certainly lots and lots of things to consider.....this forum is openning my eyes. More importantly, providing information and practical knowledge that will help me make a more informed decision.
In Va it is the state health dept regs. Counties are supposed to follow them but many do their own thing. Some much stricter and some very lenient.

As everyone said Presentation is the most important thing, you can always make something simple look scrumptios just how you present it. When we first opened my husband could not understand that we where going to use REAL napkins and set the table as if we where having Christmas Dinner...the first course was always a good bet that it would look like it may come out of a magazine. Yes, you can make a simple fruit salad elegant by putting it in a champagne, martini or wine glass, with a dab of whipping cream or yogurt and a strawberry or even a small blueberry on top. This gives the instant impression of WOW! and "What is coming next" A simple french toast dish can be pretty by just prepping the plate-sprinkle cinnamon on the plate then a little of powdered sugar on top of the french toast...
Its just small little stuff. Don't sweat it there are MILLIONS of recipes out there that are simple and CASSEROLES are the best..alot of them can be done the night before and thats what we usually do if we have more than 6 guests .I love Mr. Breakfast its a cooking site I always go to.
Don't worry....it will all fall into place and soon you will be doing just so good you won't remember why you where so nervous. I didn't have any formal cooking experience although my dad was a chef and both ymy grandmothers where superb bakers I learned as I went. I did have to pass a food handlers test-but that is mostly common sense.
Believe it or not breakfast is alot simpler than dinner. I think so at least.

Back