Finessing the unhappy customer.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FD,
IMHO this may be the last time you see these people at Easter or any other Holiday. Repeat customers are few and far between and I would think since they had been so loyal you could have cut them a break just this once with a humorous emphasis of: "I'll let you off the hook this one time, cos I'd like you to come back"
I know last minute reservations are on the rise and it may be due to the economy, but sometimes I think cancellation policies might also play a part. I'm just saying...

muirford said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
FD, I always stick to my guns, too. But guests somehow walk away thinking I'm doing them a favor and don't get mad. Really.
Wow. Never have any of them get mad? You must be some kind of guest whisperer. In seven years I've had less than a handful of cancellations I've had to charge, but some of them were still po'd. Didn't really matter how much I explained how hard I'd work to fill the room - had someone say to me how do I know you are even going to try, when it's just easier to take my money. You clearly have some amazing telephone skills. Or the most unbelievably generous guests.
Innkeeper to go, I was referencing muirford's statment. So I'm not sure if you were addressing me.
I was thinking of muirford's statement that a guest said ... 'how do I know you are even going to try, when it's just easier to take my money.' That to me is unreasonable and unfair.
' But I can say that I've never treated a guest as though anything they were saying was unreasonable. I just listen to them and then let them know what I can and cannot do. That works for me. Most folks just want to be heard, in my experience. ' Innkeeper to go ... Yes, people want to be heard. But, when an innkeeper tells a guest they are doing their best to fill a room, and the guest responds with the above, that is not right! How muirford responded to that comment has not been stated.
But I think the guest was being unreasonable ......... and I'm sticking to it..
Sorry, SS, I thought you were responding to my comment. My misunderstanding. I hadn't read Muirford's comment until just a few minutes ago.
I totally agree with you that the guest is not being reasonable in saying that. Guests can have all kinds of issues going on and they're not always reasonable.
But I can tell you in all honesty that I've heard the same comment from guests myself. And I simply don't take it personally, let them vent, and then explain to them exactly what steps I'm going to take. I tell them they can check back with me if they want. I don't make promises to rebook but I do make promises to try. And I do try. Very frequently I am able to rebook.
Believe it or not, I'm able to calm them even when they start out mad and even if I can't rebook. Sometimes I think they know that what they're asking for is unreasonable to begin with and that's why they're acting out. By staying calm myself I am able to get them to take a breath and start behaving reasonably.
But it also helps that I do have a particularly soothing telephone voice. Some folks have told me I'm like the human valium over the phone. And that's what I was talking about. Diffusing anger is a skill I developed over many years. The soothing voice is really just the luck of the straw, as much as it does help.

FD, I always stick to my guns, too. But guests somehow walk away thinking I'm doing them a favor and don't get mad. Really.
Basically what I tell them, whatever their reason is, that I'm going to try my best to rebook the room. And that there's every possibility that I will. I always keep waiting lists and try those first but most of the time the waiting list folks will have already booked elsewhere.
Still I try. And I let the guests know that I'm trying. I call other inns to let them know I have a room and let the guest know other innkeepers are also trying to help them.
I let them know that I will let them know at the end of the day they were supposed to arrive how successful I was.
Most of the time, in fact, I am able to rebook. When I can't, though, guests don't kick up a stink because they know I tried as hard as I could to avoid it.
I don't do the GC substitution myself unless I'm innsitting at a place and that's their policy. I just think then you're still losing the revenue by giving a room away another night. And the guest is generally not really happy either. Everyone still loses a little bit and I think it's better just to cut the losses altogether if you have to.
So I give rebooking my best shot. Let them know that. And then charge them if I have to..
Innkeeper To Go said:
Basically what I tell them, whatever their reason is, that I'm going to try my best to rebook the room. And that there's every possibility that I will. I always keep waiting lists and try those first but most of the time the waiting list folks will have already booked elsewhere.
Still I try. And I let the guests know that I'm trying. I call other inns to let them know I have a room and let the guest know other innkeepers are also trying to help them.
I let them know that I will let them know at the end of the day they were supposed to arrive how successful I was.
Most of the time, in fact, I am able to rebook. When I can't, though, guests don't kick up a stink because they know I tried as hard as I could to avoid it.
So I give rebooking my best shot. Let them know that. And then charge them if I have to.
I cannot honestly say I spent a lot of time calling around trying to fill a room and I did not make such promises. It depends on how much physical work I had to do to just to get the place ready for the upcoming check-ins and stayovers along with all the other tasks to get done. Without much staff, and sometimes with none, that was my priority.
It seems to be unreasonable for a guest to question how much someone tried to fill a room or if they really did try. ... other than calling the local chamber, the ferry service, and a few local places to say I had a room available that night and to send folks my way, I don't know what else I could have done. My best shot at filling the room was to have it ready and to take a welcomed walk-in.
I guess it depends on your area, but I often had available rooms and so did my 'neighbors' ... so a waiting list was only helpful during that elusive really busy time when we were booked up solid. Most often when I reached someone on my 'waiting list', they had booked elsewhere.
seashanty said:
It seems to be unreasonable for a guest to question how much someone tried to fill a room or if they really did try. ... other than calling the local chamber, the ferry service, and a few local places to say I had a room available that night and to send folks my way, I don't know what else I could have done. My best shot at filling the room was to have it ready and to take a welcomed walk-in.
That's something I don't really know about so perhaps your experience there is different from mine.
Personally, I've not had guests questioning whether I was trying to do anything. If you did, perhaps you're right that's a result of where you are.
But I've worked in a lot of places. And wherever I've been, I've had guests who believed me when I told them I was trying.
Perhaps your area was altogether different so I'm not questioning your experience at all.
But I can say that I've never treated a guest as though anything they were saying was unreasonable. I just listen to them and then let them know what I can and cannot do. That works for me. Most folks just want to be heard, in my experience.
Innkeeper To Go said:
But I can say that I've never treated a guest as though anything they were saying was unreasonable. I just listen to them and then let them know what I can and cannot do. That works for me. Most folks just want to be heard, in my experience.
Not me. I just went on a long road trip and stayed two nights in the kinda pricey historic Peabody on the way. At check-in, the young woman checking us in wasn't very smooth, but one of the things she said was that our daily service charge of $15 included wireless internet, local and long-distance phone calls and a daily paper. I made one brief call on the phone to my innsitter (because my cell was dead) and when we received our bill there was a charge for $35 for that phone call. I called the front desk immediately (it was like 6:30 in the morning) and the girl told me there was nothing she could do about the charge, that their policy was that only local calls were included. (BTW, we stayed at two other Marriotts along the way and their daily package included local AND long-distance calls). She stuck to her policy guns and I told her I would want the manager's name and contact information when we checked out. At my arrival at the front desk, she offered me a comp breakfast - no, we were leaving. Would half of the charge removed make me happy? No it wouldn't. She finally removed the charge, and I left. Still pissed off, still writing a letter to the manager, and still never staying there again. I really was not interested in 'being heard'.
The fact is, you can decide not to charge the cancellation fee - that's your choice. I personally would never contest one myself, but clearly not everyone thinks like me. I've still never had a chargeback, but if I run the cancellation fee I believe I probably won't ever see that guest again. I expect that's the experience of 99% of the innkeepers and innsitters out there.
muirford said:
The fact is, you can decide not to charge the cancellation fee - that's your choice. I personally would never contest one myself, but clearly not everyone thinks like me. I've still never had a chargeback, but if I run the cancellation fee I believe I probably won't ever see that guest again. I expect that's the experience of 99% of the innkeepers and innsitters out there.
I think when you're dealing with a guest who is clearly unhappy with the policy and feels it's unfair, that's true. You can waive the fee. And I've had several discussions in other forums here where I advocated for just that.
It's something that I feel pretty strongly about, in fact. If the policy is costing you more money by losing a guest and potentially getting a scathing review, then the policy should really be reconsidered. Rigidity should not be confused with fair enforcement of valid policies or wise management decisions and actions that will make a guest happy.
In the case you're describing as a hotel guest, it's difficult to imagine any guest being happy with that policy. I'm guessing you did your homework and the place had a good reputation. But honestly, I don't know how anyone would enforce a policy like that with a straight face. I'd have been unhappy about the first $15 fee. In fact, I can't imagine that I'd have agreed to it in the first place. Would I have waived the fee in your case? I wouldn't be working at a place that tacked hidden fees on for every little thing like that so it wouldn't be an issue for me.
Farmers Daughter's question, though, was about how to finesse an unhappy customer in a particular situation: cancellation fees. I shared my experience and what works for me. Nothing more. It may not be your experience but that doesn't make it any less valid.
I think it would be especially productive if this discussion could stick to our own experiences and sharing information we think might be helpful to other innkeepers. Challenging another forum member's skills or experience is not only not productive, it's harmful to that experience.
Sleep well. And hold onto those keys. I'm not here shopping for business. Never have been.

I don't do the GC substitution myself unless I'm innsitting at a place and that's their policy. I just think then you're still losing the revenue by giving a room away another night. And the guest is generally not really happy either. Everyone still loses a little bit and I think it's better just to cut the losses altogether if you have to.
So I give rebooking my best shot. Let them know that. And then charge them if I have to..
Innkeeper To Go said:
So I give rebooking my best shot. Let them know that. And then charge them if I have to.
I cannot honestly say I spent a lot of time calling around trying to fill a room and I did not make such promises. It depends on how much physical work I had to do to just to get the place ready for the upcoming check-ins and stayovers along with all the other tasks to get done. Without much staff, and sometimes with none, that was my priority.
I guess it depends on your area, but I often had available rooms and so did my 'neighbors' ... so a waiting list was only helpful during that elusive really busy time when we were booked up solid. Most often when I reached someone on my 'waiting list', they had booked elsewhere.
seashanty said:
That's something I don't really know about so perhaps your experience there is different from mine.
Personally, I've not had guests questioning whether I was trying to do anything. If you did, perhaps you're right that's a result of where you are.
But I've worked in a lot of places. And wherever I've been, I've had guests who believed me when I told them I was trying.
Perhaps your area was altogether different so I'm not questioning your experience at all.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Not me. I just went on a long road trip and stayed two nights in the kinda pricey historic Peabody on the way. At check-in, the young woman checking us in wasn't very smooth, but one of the things she said was that our daily service charge of $15 included wireless internet, local and long-distance phone calls and a daily paper. I made one brief call on the phone to my innsitter (because my cell was dead) and when we received our bill there was a charge for $35 for that phone call. I called the front desk immediately (it was like 6:30 in the morning) and the girl told me there was nothing she could do about the charge, that their policy was that only local calls were included. (BTW, we stayed at two other Marriotts along the way and their daily package included local AND long-distance calls). She stuck to her policy guns and I told her I would want the manager's name and contact information when we checked out. At my arrival at the front desk, she offered me a comp breakfast - no, we were leaving. Would half of the charge removed make me happy? No it wouldn't. She finally removed the charge, and I left. Still pissed off, still writing a letter to the manager, and still never staying there again. I really was not interested in 'being heard'.
muirford said:
I think when you're dealing with a guest who is clearly unhappy with the policy and feels it's unfair, that's true. You can waive the fee. And I've had several discussions in other forums here where I advocated for just that.
It's something that I feel pretty strongly about, in fact. If the policy is costing you more money by losing a guest and potentially getting a scathing review, then the policy should really be reconsidered. Rigidity should not be confused with fair enforcement of valid policies or wise management decisions and actions that will make a guest happy.
In the case you're describing as a hotel guest, it's difficult to imagine any guest being happy with that policy. I'm guessing you did your homework and the place had a good reputation. But honestly, I don't know how anyone would enforce a policy like that with a straight face. I'd have been unhappy about the first $15 fee. In fact, I can't imagine that I'd have agreed to it in the first place. Would I have waived the fee in your case? I wouldn't be working at a place that tacked hidden fees on for every little thing like that so it wouldn't be an issue for me.
Farmers Daughter's question, though, was about how to finesse an unhappy customer in a particular situation: cancellation fees. I shared my experience and what works for me. Nothing more. It may not be your experience but that doesn't make it any less valid.
I think it would be especially productive if this discussion could stick to our own experiences and sharing information we think might be helpful to other innkeepers. Challenging another forum member's skills or experience is not only not productive, it's harmful to that experience.
Sleep well. And hold onto those keys. I'm not here shopping for business. Never have been.
Innkeeper To Go said:
I think it would be especially productive if this discussion could stick to our own experiences and sharing information we think might be helpful to other innkeepers.
I agree that is more productive. I fail to see how telling FD that you never have the situation she described because your guests all are happy when they arrive for a stay after you've enforced your cancellation poliicies is really helping her with the situation that she has - guests who are po'd that she didn't let them cancel.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Challenging another forum member's skills or experience is not only not productive, it's harmful to that experience.
You can call it challenging; I call it giving a more realistic view of the world.

Innkeeper To Go said:
Wow. Never have any of them get mad? You must be some kind of guest whisperer. In seven years I've had less than a handful of cancellations I've had to charge, but some of them were still po'd. Didn't really matter how much I explained how hard I'd work to fill the room - had someone say to me how do I know you are even going to try, when it's just easier to take my money. You clearly have some amazing telephone skills. Or the most unbelievably generous guests.
It is a blessing, in fact, that I am something of a whisperer on the phone. Don't know how it came to be, but it is the truth.
And yes, I'm able to convince them (possibly because it's true) that I am really working for them. And no, they don't get mad.
I have never had 1 bad online review. Ever. Never had a guest who I had to charge a fee not come back another time and actually thank me for trying for them.
Really it's true.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Really it's true.
I'll just go to bed tonight and try to figure out why I shouldn't just hand my keys over to you, then. I've met a lot of people in the industry, including some of the most socially skilled people I know (one of which I am not) and I've never heard another innkeeper - or, sorry, innsitter - make that kind of claim. So consider me amazed. Are you really Don Farrell?
No need at all to apologize for calling me an innkeeper. It's what I am.
And yes, the phone thing is something that, when I first discovered it, amazed me, too. It is, as I said, a blessing. Don't know where it came from but I do have it.
Innkeeper To Go said:
No need at all to apologize for calling me an innkeeper. It's what I am.
And yes, the phone thing is something that, when I first discovered it, amazed me, too. It is, as I said, a blessing. Don't know where it came from but I do have it.
Maybe you can sell recordings to all of us that lack this talent.
That's what Don Farrell does! He has been the speaker at one or two of the conferences I've been to. Pretty good, actually - and here's a link to his blog.

A guest this morning at breakfast was sick as a dog. She had to cancel the rest of her stay as she is here working in the Pharmacy at our hospital. She left, she paid for her stay to this point, no fees or charge. I am not happy to lose revenue but she is sick, and stuff happens. I will wait a few before I go Lysol her room.

A guest this morning at breakfast was sick as a dog. She had to cancel the rest of her stay as she is here working in the Pharmacy at our hospital. She left, she paid for her stay to this point, no fees or charge. I am not happy to lose revenue but she is sick, and stuff happens. I will wait a few before I go Lysol her room..
Joey Bloggs said:
A guest this morning at breakfast was sick as a dog. She had to cancel the rest of her stay as she is here working in the Pharmacy at our hospital. She left, she paid for her stay to this point, no fees or charge. I am not happy to lose revenue but she is sick, and stuff happens. I will wait a few before I go Lysol her room.
Lysol it immediately. Germs/viruses are airborne!

A guest this morning at breakfast was sick as a dog. She had to cancel the rest of her stay as she is here working in the Pharmacy at our hospital. She left, she paid for her stay to this point, no fees or charge. I am not happy to lose revenue but she is sick, and stuff happens. I will wait a few before I go Lysol her room..
Joey Bloggs said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joey Bloggs said:
This is why I am not going in right now. It will have to wait.

Don't you have to go with whatever the policy is of the B&B/inn for which you're working? I would think this would be spelled out by your employers on how to handle cancellations according to their policies.

Don't you have to go with whatever the policy is of the B&B/inn for which you're working? I would think this would be spelled out by your employers on how to handle cancellations according to their policies.
Only if I am innsitting. I am very often in a mentoring role with a new inn owner or an inn owner struggling to survive. They look to me for guidance in those situations, which are by far the norm for me, than the other way around.
When I manage an inn it thrives. I specialize in turning around underperforming properties. And to be as successful as I am with that I do require that the policies and procedures put in place are those that will work.

Only if I am innsitting. I am very often in a mentoring role with a new inn owner or an inn owner struggling to survive. They look to me for guidance in those situations, which are by far the norm for me, than the other way around.
When I manage an inn it thrives. I specialize in turning around underperforming properties. And to be as successful as I am with that I do require that the policies and procedures put in place are those that will work.
Wow! You must be very busy then. Especially now with the economy and lodging properties struggling so much.

Wow! You must be very busy then. Especially now with the economy and lodging properties struggling so much.
Indeed I am.

Indeed I am.
You're very fortunate. When things were hopping around here, I hardly had time for anything else but the biz even while working smarter, not harder.

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I hope no one in the house picks that up! Poor guest, nothing worse than being away on business and coming down with something nasty.

Indeed I am.
You're very fortunate. When things were hopping around here, I hardly had time for anything else but the biz even while working smarter, not harder.
It's actually more hard work and effective time management than fortune.

There's no way as the owner/innkeeper that I would have had time to take all those steps to try to re-book one of our cancelled rooms. Of course, we had very few cancellations that were outside our cancellation policy which was 72 hours because of the volume of business guests we had here. Of the few cancellations that we did have that were not change of plans type cancellations for biz guests, most were because folks needed more rooms than we could accommodate and they wanted to keep their entire party together at the same lodging property. Because of my love of large parties taking over the inn, I would let them happily go to a hotel. ;-)
But for FD, I guess the best you can do is to let the guest vent and then re-state your policies which you've already sent to the guest in their confirmation. I think we often can tend to get drawn into an emotional discussion when it's really just the facts, ma'am. It's hard as owners who are so vested in our properties for us not to express our disappointment when we see dinero which will help pay our bills slipping through our fingers.
FD, hang in there!

There's no way as the owner/innkeeper that I would have had time to take all those steps to try to re-book one of our cancelled rooms. Of course, we had very few cancellations that were outside our cancellation policy which was 72 hours because of the volume of business guests we had here. Of the few cancellations that we did have that were not change of plans type cancellations for biz guests, most were because folks needed more rooms than we could accommodate and they wanted to keep their entire party together at the same lodging property. Because of my love of large parties taking over the inn, I would let them happily go to a hotel. ;-)
But for FD, I guess the best you can do is to let the guest vent and then re-state your policies which you've already sent to the guest in their confirmation. I think we often can tend to get drawn into an emotional discussion when it's really just the facts, ma'am. It's hard as owners who are so vested in our properties for us not to express our disappointment when we see dinero which will help pay our bills slipping through our fingers.
FD, hang in there!
Samster said:
Actually I made the time to do it with an inn running 81% annual occupancy. Of course it wasn't running anything like that before I took it over and implemented my guest-focused policies.
Innkeepers are always short of time. But it's how they use that time that determines whether their inn will be successful or not.

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
If it gets into your vents, it will be distributed throughout your place via the heating system.

Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
If it gets into your vents, it will be distributed throughout your place via the heating system.
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Sorry I am a dufus today. COTTAGE. It is concealed in the cottage. :)

FD, hang in there!
Samster said:
Actually I made the time to do it with an inn running 81% annual occupancy. Of course it wasn't running anything like that before I took it over and implemented my guest-focused policies.
Innkeepers are always short of time. But it's how they use that time that determines whether their inn will be successful or not.
I will say that there is a big difference betweening running an inn and owning a successful inn. And I've done both. I worked as the innkeeper of a 12 room inn that ran at over 80% occupancy year-round. There is no comparison to being the sole proprietor of a busy property vs being an employee.
I guess that the members of this forum are indeed fortunate that you are here to contribute all your knowledge and wisdom to us and we look forward to you instructing us on how best to use our time.

Back