Fire at a Virginia inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Fire Damages an Augusta County Bed and Breakfast WHSV Chief Mike Fisher with the Dooms Volunteer Fire Department says he believes the fire was accidental. The fire happened in a sitting area on one side of the structure. The fire did not reach the main structure on the building.
http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Fire_Damages_an_Augusta_County_Bed_and_Breakfast_139610083.html?ref=083
Some here might know this inn and these innkeepers in Waynseboro VA. The news said no one was hurt, a cigarette butt thrown over a balcony? I bet.
Here is another news source
http://www.newsleader.com/article/20120219/NEWS01/202190334/Fire-damages-Iris-Inn-Waynesboro
with video of firefighters here:
http://www.nbc29.com/story/16967980/fire-in-waynesboro

Oh my ...friends of mine. So glad the structure is ok. oh yeah..sounds like a guest went out there to take a smoke and dropped the butt into the mulch....good grief!

Oh my ...friends of mine. So glad the structure is ok. oh yeah..sounds like a guest went out there to take a smoke and dropped the butt into the mulch....good grief!.
Ya know as much as I have always like the private patio/balcony idea, I bet there can be issues with smokers dropping butts over the edge. That was my first thought. We have had many guests enjoy staying there, I am glad everyone was safe!

Everyone's nightmare. Thank goodnessno one was hurt and it was, according to JB's links, just an outside stairwell.
I have an ashtray on my porch for the smolers and most use it but I have seen so many smokers just toss the butts. It is as if their brains do not comprehend that a cigarette is burning tobacco that was lit with a match - it is a fire! Fire starts another fire!
I will never use mulch - only stone will ever be near my building. It is bad enought that I have hedges and a huge blue spruce that sheds its needles creating a fire hazard. I think the FIRST thing I would ever do if i won the lottery is get that tree taken down.

Oh my ...friends of mine. So glad the structure is ok. oh yeah..sounds like a guest went out there to take a smoke and dropped the butt into the mulch....good grief!.
Ya know as much as I have always like the private patio/balcony idea, I bet there can be issues with smokers dropping butts over the edge. That was my first thought. We have had many guests enjoy staying there, I am glad everyone was safe!
Even flicking them off the porch is an issue. Or into the shrubs as they come in the house. We keep finding them in the potted plants outside the door.

Everyone's nighmare scenario. So now in guestbooks one can add in the "smoking policies" that "A large number of fires are caused by cigarette butts flicked off balconies or outside doors. Please refrain from doing so. Smoking in designated areas only"
Then hope that everyone reads it. And observes
Sigh

The problem is we have found cigar butts in plant and cigarettes all over no matter what you do and what you give them. The best thing is to not allow smoking at all so if something happens we at least can't be sued for allowing smoking. I wonder if the teens did not want to be identified because they may have been the ones to flick the cigarette into the mulch! I'm so pleased it was contained outside - they are very nice people and it's a lovely inn.
Riki

In my state, there is a 50 ft law. No smoking within 50 feet of the building. The guests were told that when they made their reservations, are reminded of that in their confirmations, are told that when they check in. Don't know how much it helps, but it sure doesn't hurt....

In my state, there is a 50 ft law. No smoking within 50 feet of the building. The guests were told that when they made their reservations, are reminded of that in their confirmations, are told that when they check in. Don't know how much it helps, but it sure doesn't hurt.....
It's 20 feet here.But guests don't know that before they enter the building. And most will still stand right on the porch in the rain, with the door open and with guest room windows right behind where they are sitting smoking.
If I smell cig smoke on a guest or see them smoking I will tell them the state rules.

In my state, there is a 50 ft law. No smoking within 50 feet of the building. The guests were told that when they made their reservations, are reminded of that in their confirmations, are told that when they check in. Don't know how much it helps, but it sure doesn't hurt.....
Penelope said:
In my state, there is a 50 ft law. No smoking within 50 feet of the building. The guests were told that when they made their reservations, are reminded of that in their confirmations, are told that when they check in. Don't know how much it helps, but it sure doesn't hurt....
It is one of those "Better the evil you know" in my opinion. What does this do? This sends guests to their vehicles to smoke inside with windows up and then...oi veigh, it is worst on the rooms. So what can we do? Advertise we are a non smoking property. But when they arrive (as guests don't read, we know that) give them direction to where they can smoke, only. I have an ashtray with a little bifold card that smoking near the ponds only. But, we have the cottage and 50% of the guests book that so they can step outside and smoke (It is better than them running up and down the stairs and slamming the front door all night to get their fix).
I hate it, I would have zero tolerance for smoking, but it happens.

Penelope said:
It is one of those "Better the evil you know" in my opinion. What does this do? This sends guests to their vehicles to smoke inside with windows up and then...oi veigh, it is worst on the rooms. So what can we do? Advertise we are a non smoking property. But when they arrive (as guests don't read, we know that) give them direction to where they can smoke, only. I have an ashtray with a little bifold card that smoking near the ponds only. But, we have the cottage and 50% of the guests book that so they can step outside and smoke (It is better than them running up and down the stairs and slamming the front door all night to get their fix).
We were right... someone smoking outside and threw the butt into the leaves!!!

People are idjits! We had a no smoking policy except for on the patio, but yet folks would smoke on the porches and flick their butts into our landscaping. So aggravating.
angry_smile.gif

Glad that no one was hurt...we have heard sadder stories about fires at inns, unfortunately.

Penelope said:
catlady said:
Do they know who? Can they make them pay the damages? I'm so glad it did not get INTO the building. It is lovely.
RIki

I have an ashtray with a little bifold card that smoking near the ponds only.
Maybe instead we all make a copy of this news article and post it! I find people read my news articles I have posted, but not many will read the signs
angry_smile.gif

We are a non-smoking B+B. No smoking....none. We instituted this policy after two couple who stayed with us for a week moved all the out door furniture to the front lawn and smoked their brains out all day for days on end. They said that they usually rent a house but were tired of entertaining their family so they invited others to drop by, sit and smoke with them, and let us clean up the mess. That was many years ago and we have come along way with our restrictions. I would rather have an empty house than to have to deal with smokers, smell, mess and threat of fire.

We are a non-smoking B+B. No smoking....none. We instituted this policy after two couple who stayed with us for a week moved all the out door furniture to the front lawn and smoked their brains out all day for days on end. They said that they usually rent a house but were tired of entertaining their family so they invited others to drop by, sit and smoke with them, and let us clean up the mess. That was many years ago and we have come along way with our restrictions. I would rather have an empty house than to have to deal with smokers, smell, mess and threat of fire..
Silverspoon said:
We are a non-smoking B+B. No smoking....none. We instituted this policy after two couple who stayed with us for a week moved all the out door furniture to the front lawn and smoked their brains out all day for days on end. They said that they usually rent a house but were tired of entertaining their family so they invited others to drop by, sit and smoke with them, and let us clean up the mess. That was many years ago and we have come along way with our restrictions. I would rather have an empty house than to have to deal with smokers, smell, mess and threat of fire.
and yet...there is my mother. My Nana who came out from Northern Calf before that, who is now gone, who had smoked her entire life since she was a teen. Unfortunately as much as I hate it, there are people I love who smoke, so I have to make allowances, and give them a designated smoking place.

We are a non-smoking B+B. No smoking....none. We instituted this policy after two couple who stayed with us for a week moved all the out door furniture to the front lawn and smoked their brains out all day for days on end. They said that they usually rent a house but were tired of entertaining their family so they invited others to drop by, sit and smoke with them, and let us clean up the mess. That was many years ago and we have come along way with our restrictions. I would rather have an empty house than to have to deal with smokers, smell, mess and threat of fire..
My Daddy smoked until he was 69 years old (died of cancer @ 79). NONE of his children smoke. I am a non-smoking B & B but I do have an ashtray for my smoker guests. I am saddened by those of my children who smoke - they did not get it at home.
There is much tolerance for many addictions (and smoking is an addiction) but people who smoke are treated like third-class citizens. I do not like smoking. The aroma of smoking is not one I prefer to be around, but I think it is horrible that people who smoke are forced to go out in the rain/snow/whatever to suck down that which they addicted to. GOD help me if they decide chocolate should be banned. As long as I do not have to smell it or clean up after it (other than emptying the ashtray), I will not comment to a guest about it.
For all the talk about banning smoking, governments would be hard put to replace all that lovely tax money if everyone quit smoking.

My Daddy smoked until he was 69 years old (died of cancer @ 79). NONE of his children smoke. I am a non-smoking B & B but I do have an ashtray for my smoker guests. I am saddened by those of my children who smoke - they did not get it at home.
There is much tolerance for many addictions (and smoking is an addiction) but people who smoke are treated like third-class citizens. I do not like smoking. The aroma of smoking is not one I prefer to be around, but I think it is horrible that people who smoke are forced to go out in the rain/snow/whatever to suck down that which they addicted to. GOD help me if they decide chocolate should be banned. As long as I do not have to smell it or clean up after it (other than emptying the ashtray), I will not comment to a guest about it.
For all the talk about banning smoking, governments would be hard put to replace all that lovely tax money if everyone quit smoking.
gillumhouse said:
They may lose the tax money but the hospitals would not have to take all the medical problems who cannot pay the bill and are treated for free. I see it every day here at UVA.

Back