Fire Safety

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domestique

Reaction score
Very sad news from a B & B in Minnesota. You can read the full article here:www.startribune.com/local/124917584.html
Do any of you have local fire requirements for sprinklers? They are not currently required in MN, but I wonder if that will change as a result of this tragedy?

So incredible tragic. And my worst fear.
No sprinkler requirement here. But we do have hard-wired smoke detectors that are REALLY loud.

Wow! This is horrific. I hate to start a debate on firesafety features at an inn without discussing the tragedy, the innkeeper and those who lost their lives.
The article says cause is unknown at this time, but firefighters fought the fire for 5 hours to get it under control.
Did anyone on this forum know this inn or innkeeper? If so, please provide any info as it comes along from the personal standpoint in case there are those here who would like to help, thanks.
"Family members on scene said cries for help likely came from the bed and breakfast owner Bobbi McCrea and her two young daughters, ages 3 and 15. The family said all three died in the fire, along with three others, whose identities remain unknown. New Ulm Fire Chief Paul Macho says they are likely out of town guests."
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/07/02/fire-destroys-bed-and-breakfast-in-new-ulm/

Wow! This is horrific. I hate to start a debate on firesafety features at an inn without discussing the tragedy, the innkeeper and those who lost their lives.
The article says cause is unknown at this time, but firefighters fought the fire for 5 hours to get it under control.
Did anyone on this forum know this inn or innkeeper? If so, please provide any info as it comes along from the personal standpoint in case there are those here who would like to help, thanks.
"Family members on scene said cries for help likely came from the bed and breakfast owner Bobbi McCrea and her two young daughters, ages 3 and 15. The family said all three died in the fire, along with three others, whose identities remain unknown. New Ulm Fire Chief Paul Macho says they are likely out of town guests."
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/07/02/fire-destroys-bed-and-breakfast-in-new-ulm/.
Absolutely awful news.
We are required to be sprinklered. And alarmed. And hooked into the fire dept. And smoke detectors. And we have a pull alarm on the outside of the house. (Not req'd and we're not sure why we have it but it's there and it works.)

We are not required but we have everything else ie wired in heat and smoke alarm, fire retardant furnishings ie couches and carpets. external fire escape from the top floor and two internal staircases stacks of fire doors, every bedoom door is a fire door with foam stuff that expands round the frame to seal the fire in. We are also stone which helps slow the fire down a bit. Compaired to US houses which i know in the main are made of wood. Mind you all the stairs and floors are wood here so would go up eventually. We had a bad hotel fire here in May 2010 one death but it was caused by him setting himself alight. Makes us all super aware of fire here.

This has really hit home for me, since I have two daughters also involved in innkeeping.
This gives us pause on the daily irritation of guests, when we have it pretty dang good. I hope everyone here has their own quarters smoke detectors fully operational, I know we tend to grab batteries or move things from our own quarters when needed in guest areas and neglect our own safety and security...please take care of yourselves. Be prepared. Be safe. Be cautious.
Adited to add: The more I think about this the more adamant I am about making sure I freshen guests room every day. I know of stories from this very forum and from innmates I have met in person who have had people burning candles and leaving them unattended, or burning them in BAD places in a guest room, one story about a pile of candles in the middle of the room on the floor. If they have candles I will remove them.

A Fire Commissioner told me during our Fire Codes Change battle that sprinklers save property, not lives. He said by the time it is hot enough to set off the sprinkler system, people are toast. I do not mean to be anything other than respectful of this tragedy - because that is what it is, a tragedy.
I am interested to find out what caused it. Wiring? Candles? The news story video I saw said the entire building was engulfed in flames. How could an entire building go so fast?
We have smoke alarms in each room and each room has a window to porch roof exit if the stairs are not usable.
Edited to add: I have also informed the VFD as to the location of our bedoom. Once DH takes of his brace, he is helpless mobility-wise. This reminds me to remnd them (VFD) as it has bee a while. In fact, I think a floorplan of both floors would be best.

No sprinklers here. More importantly, we have fire extinguishers on all floors and we have installed smoke alarms in every room and on every floor. The one in the central hallway at the top of the stairs is monitored and connected to the fire department.
Every one of the smoke alarms are sealed 10-year battery units with 8 years of life left. It means we don't have to change the battery twice a year and also that they can't be tampered with. We have had guests attempt to tamper with smoke alarms in our previous house. Our ceilings are rather high and they are near the room door, so that they can't be easily reached, in any case.
We use these... goo.gl/Vym69
And it's so nice not to have to change the battery all the time (or hear those little beeps when the battery is near depletion and trying to figure out which room it is coming from.) It also works out cheaper in the long run than buying 9V batteries twice a year.

No sprinklers here. More importantly, we have fire extinguishers on all floors and we have installed smoke alarms in every room and on every floor. The one in the central hallway at the top of the stairs is monitored and connected to the fire department.
Every one of the smoke alarms are sealed 10-year battery units with 8 years of life left. It means we don't have to change the battery twice a year and also that they can't be tampered with. We have had guests attempt to tamper with smoke alarms in our previous house. Our ceilings are rather high and they are near the room door, so that they can't be easily reached, in any case.
And it's so nice not to have to change the battery all the time (or hear those little beeps when the battery is near depletion and trying to figure out which room it is coming from.) It also works out cheaper in the long run than buying 9V batteries twice a year..
We have fire extinguishers on every floor also BUT I do not want anyone to use them - EVER!! I want then to getthe hell OUT!!
If. GOD forbid, we ever have a fire, I do not want anyone to try to fight it, I want them to vacate the premises! Building and possessions can be replaced - people cannot.

And it's so nice not to have to change the battery all the time (or hear those little beeps when the battery is near depletion and trying to figure out which room it is coming from.) It also works out cheaper in the long run than buying 9V batteries twice a year..
We have fire extinguishers on every floor also BUT I do not want anyone to use them - EVER!! I want then to getthe hell OUT!!
If. GOD forbid, we ever have a fire, I do not want anyone to try to fight it, I want them to vacate the premises! Building and possessions can be replaced - people cannot.
gillumhouse said:
You are the only inn with the fire diagram that says "In case of fire: get the hell OUT!!" :)
I am waiting for an update on the investigation on this story, since the innkeeper and two kids died, what does this mean? Were they all asleep with no alarm? Were they trying to get others out? How did it start. I will share it as soon as I get a google alert on it.

gillumhouse said:
You are the only inn with the fire diagram that says "In case of fire: get the hell OUT!!" :)
I am waiting for an update on the investigation on this story, since the innkeeper and two kids died, what does this mean? Were they all asleep with no alarm? Were they trying to get others out? How did it start. I will share it as soon as I get a google alert on it.
Yes, I've been wondering these things too.
This story has terrified me.

Im the same we have the ruddy things all over (it is required) but I want people OUT! But they don't when I worked in a big hotel the first thing the idiots do is ring down and say
"there is a loud noise make it stop!"
I say "there is a fire please vacate the building"
"do we have to?"
"well if you would rather burn its up to you"

Horrible tradegy. They are not in our "neighborhood" but we knew who they were. Wonderful people and a great B&B. It is just very sad.

Im the same we have the ruddy things all over (it is required) but I want people OUT! But they don't when I worked in a big hotel the first thing the idiots do is ring down and say
"do we have to?"
When I worked relief night audt for a big chain the fire alarm was prone to go off in the wee hours of the morning. ALL phone lines at the desk would ring - What is that noise?/Is there a fire?/ Should we leave the building?
Management had instructed us to shut it off. One night a Fire Dept Lt. came into my area to look at the alarm box and asked who had shut it off. I said that we had been instructed to do that. He then informed me that by turning it off I became personally liable if there was a problem. I informed Manafement I would never touch that panel again. Looking back - shutting it off was stupid.

A Fire Commissioner told me during our Fire Codes Change battle that sprinklers save property, not lives. He said by the time it is hot enough to set off the sprinkler system, people are toast. I do not mean to be anything other than respectful of this tragedy - because that is what it is, a tragedy.
I am interested to find out what caused it. Wiring? Candles? The news story video I saw said the entire building was engulfed in flames. How could an entire building go so fast?
We have smoke alarms in each room and each room has a window to porch roof exit if the stairs are not usable.
Edited to add: I have also informed the VFD as to the location of our bedoom. Once DH takes of his brace, he is helpless mobility-wise. This reminds me to remnd them (VFD) as it has bee a while. In fact, I think a floorplan of both floors would be best..
Sprinklers can save lives. We have sprinklers, and we used to have to allow smoking in our houses (veterans' homes). On at least two occasions, the sprinklers went off, as did the alarms. Both times, smokers had left cigs burning, one in a chair, one on the back of a comode (caught a towel on fire). The sprinklers put the fires out, and the alarms alerted everyone to get the heck out of Dodge (we also do monthly fire drills). Sprinkler systems are not to save property, they are to buy time.

"do we have to?"
"do we have to?"
http://failblog.org/2011/07/05/epic-fail-photos-m-f-workers-these-days-have-serious-priority-issues/
Sorry about the humour, but I thought that this sort of fit.

It was candles left on the porch in the New Ulm fire. a real shame.
http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/27b162dc4e804f2abb8375d2f051746a/MN--New-Ulm-Fire/

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/27b162dc4e804f2abb8375d2f051746a/MN--New-Ulm-Fire/.
proves us all right about candles! my neighbour was going mad this week as came into a room after guests had checked out had put small candles all along the windowsill just by the net curtain (ie nylon and highly flamable) do people have no brains at all?

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/27b162dc4e804f2abb8375d2f051746a/MN--New-Ulm-Fire/.
toddburme said:
http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/27b162dc4e804f2abb8375d2f051746a/MN--New-Ulm-Fire/
Thanks T for the update, I have been awaiting the investigators report. I wonder if it was a "mozzie' citronella candle that some people burn around sunset to keep the mosquitoes at bay?

"do we have to?"
"do we have to?"
The other day we were in Wal mart and the fire alarm went off. It was amazing how people just continued their shopping as we started making our way to the front of the store. NO announcement - NONE! Finally employees started yelling to evacuate and even then there was reluctance. People complaining that they had done most of their shopping can they check out! Guess they needed to smell the smoke or see flames!

Back