Fireflies!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
The first fireflies have been spotted tonight! I love these bugs, they are the best.

Already?! They always seem like a lazy summer evening bug!

How cool is that!
And here on the West Coast, we're having cold rainy weather, more like March than late May.
The fireflies are a great image for those of us caught in the rain.

We've had them blinking all over the place for about a week now. I absolutely love them. There's something magical about seeing the trees full of little fairy lights.

summer heat, summer flowers, summer bugs! summer came early where i am and makes me wonder if that means an early fall
but ...
i love fireflies! agree ... magical! we call them lightning bugs. i was never able to catch one as a child. and now i don't want to! but maybe with my camera?

summer heat, summer flowers, summer bugs! summer came early where i am and makes me wonder if that means an early fall
but ...
i love fireflies! agree ... magical! we call them lightning bugs. i was never able to catch one as a child. and now i don't want to! but maybe with my camera?.
I get thrills from unexpected wildlife ... some of which is so so familiar to all of you, but is new to me ... a few examples ....
Last year I had this tiny, tiny green frog land on a blade of grass next to me.
I also found a HUGE stick insect (I think you call them Walking Sticks)
A six foot milk snake.
I love my chipmunks, they know us now and they always make me smile
We have a Great Horned Owl .... one more reason to keep my cats indoors
A skunk family that lives under our OQ .... a week ago "mama" and I had a Mexican stand off. We met half way across the parking lot. She agreed to go one way and I agreed to go the other.
.... but fire flies (and yes, I know them as lightening bugs) will always help me "chill" at the end of long day. The more you stare into the dark, the more you see and I find them magical and grounding at the same time.

No magic involved, just courtship, if you can call that magical. :)

but ...
i love fireflies! agree ... magical! we call them lightning bugs. i was never able to catch one as a child. and now i don't want to! but maybe with my camera?.
I get thrills from unexpected wildlife ... some of which is so so familiar to all of you, but is new to me ... a few examples ....
Last year I had this tiny, tiny green frog land on a blade of grass next to me.
I also found a HUGE stick insect (I think you call them Walking Sticks)
A six foot milk snake.
I love my chipmunks, they know us now and they always make me smile
We have a Great Horned Owl .... one more reason to keep my cats indoors
A skunk family that lives under our OQ .... a week ago "mama" and I had a Mexican stand off. We met half way across the parking lot. She agreed to go one way and I agreed to go the other.
.... but fire flies (and yes, I know them as lightening bugs) will always help me "chill" at the end of long day. The more you stare into the dark, the more you see and I find them magical and grounding at the same time.
My wife has been trying for years to get me to move to the midwest to be near her brother. I've never found a compelling reason to do so ('nuf said). BUT, when we visit, and I get a chance to spend a quiet evening on the deck with a glass of wine and the lightning bugs, I'm almost willing. (But then the in-laws return home, and the feeling is gone for another year
embaressed_smile.gif
)

I just realized....we don't have those here. I'm from Ohio and used to see them all the time. I guess I hadn't missed them if I'm just now realizing we don't have them. We do have a mess of no-see-ums.

We had the hummingbirds and the loons return just a few weeks ago. Nothing like falling off to sleep to the sounds of the loons singing to each other.

We had the hummingbirds and the loons return just a few weeks ago. Nothing like falling off to sleep to the sounds of the loons singing to each other..
Country Girl said:
We had the hummingbirds and the loons return just a few weeks ago. Nothing like falling off to sleep to the sounds of the loons singing to each other.
Wow.
Amazing.
Hope you blog that? That is cool!

irongage, i'm in massachusetts. we have fireflies or lightning bugs here. i don't know where they are in the u.s. exactly ... but i'm not midwest.

irongage, i'm in massachusetts. we have fireflies or lightning bugs here. i don't know where they are in the u.s. exactly ... but i'm not midwest..
seashanty said:
irongage, i'm in massachusetts. we have fireflies or lightning bugs here. i don't know where they are in the u.s. exactly ... but i'm not midwest.
Maybe their territory is related to humidity. I'm in Colorado, where we don't have a lot of that (although it is increasing).

Back