Fireplace

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winewitch

Reaction score
What's a nice way to tell guests not to mess with the wood burning fireplace in the guest common room? As in, only the innkeepers are permitted to run it, period.

On the tour state what you just did. Do not leave the fire 'set up and ready to light'. Have a framed notice on the mantel that says, 'Due to fire codes we must insist that you do not attempt to use the fireplace. We will gladly get everything started for you.'
The number of times the fire dept has been next door due to guests not following the fireplace directions makes me wonder why the FD hasn't insisted that they remove the wood fireplaces and replace them. The number of times we've been smoked out (In the SUMMER) by guests trying to light the fires is about 2-3 times per season.
One place we stayed had a novel way of keeping you, the guest, from lighting the GAS fireplace...they took all the igniters out and the innkeepers will come to your room and light the whole thing for you. At midnight? Probably not. The idea of having to ask permission certainly put a damper on the evening.

I agree with Bree...this is something to definitely stand firm on! Leave the common room(s) fireplace alone! Yeesch!
We have one gas fireplace in a guest room. We tell guests that we will turn on the pilot for them if they like when we do the room tour or they MUST call us. We can't leave it on as it is pretty warm on its own & really burns the gas. Plus, we like to have the window open a crack in there. We inherited that fireplace & it's not set up for guests really. We are going to have it modified ASAP when we can afford it.
The best set up that I've seen is a thermostatically controlled gas fireplace vented to the outside. Flip the switch and you're done.
We have one electric fireplace & it's fine. We are going to add more to some other rooms. Flip a switch. Ambiance & heat.
regular_smile.gif

One of my favorite places in Santa Fe, NM has their fireplaces ready to go & detailed instructions. Still, they get people who smoke up their rooms & call for innkeeper assistance!

I agree with Bree...this is something to definitely stand firm on! Leave the common room(s) fireplace alone! Yeesch!
We have one gas fireplace in a guest room. We tell guests that we will turn on the pilot for them if they like when we do the room tour or they MUST call us. We can't leave it on as it is pretty warm on its own & really burns the gas. Plus, we like to have the window open a crack in there. We inherited that fireplace & it's not set up for guests really. We are going to have it modified ASAP when we can afford it.
The best set up that I've seen is a thermostatically controlled gas fireplace vented to the outside. Flip the switch and you're done.
We have one electric fireplace & it's fine. We are going to add more to some other rooms. Flip a switch. Ambiance & heat.
regular_smile.gif

One of my favorite places in Santa Fe, NM has their fireplaces ready to go & detailed instructions. Still, they get people who smoke up their rooms & call for innkeeper assistance!.
Our gas fireplaces don't have the thermostat so you can toast the room pretty well and we've warned guests about that. They'll have the one on in the living room and it completely shuts off the furnace so the rest of the common space is freezing.

regular_smile.gif

One of my favorite places in Santa Fe, NM has their fireplaces ready to go & detailed instructions. Still, they get people who smoke up their rooms & call for innkeeper assistance!.
Our gas fireplaces don't have the thermostat so you can toast the room pretty well and we've warned guests about that. They'll have the one on in the living room and it completely shuts off the furnace so the rest of the common space is freezing.
Yeah, we're going to see if our fireplace shop here can help us with converting that guest room one over to include a thermostat. We have a wood burning fireplace in our living room that is already plumbed for gas. We haven't even burned wood in there since we've lived here. For me, it never seems to get cold enough
regular_smile.gif
I'm working on dh to fire it up from time to time this Winter for the "cozy" factor
wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Yeah, we're going to see if our fireplace shop here can help us with converting that guest room one over to include a thermostat. We have a wood burning fireplace in our living room that is already plumbed for gas. We haven't even burned wood in there since we've lived here. For me, it never seems to get cold enough
regular_smile.gif
I'm working on dh to fire it up from time to time this Winter for the "cozy" factor
wink_smile.gif

That's why I love our little electric fireplaces. Nice ambiance ..heat or no heat, winter or summer. Worked for us:)

I agree catlady
4 of our rooms have fireplaces and they now have electrical inserts which work wonderful. Guests can just click ON or OFF on the remote control. It is a great way to heat up their room in the winter months without having to have the boiler on all the time.

I agree catlady
4 of our rooms have fireplaces and they now have electrical inserts which work wonderful. Guests can just click ON or OFF on the remote control. It is a great way to heat up their room in the winter months without having to have the boiler on all the time..
For our location, it will be perfect...with the remotes as an added bonus. So they'll have their TV, DVD, fan, and fireplace remotes. haha!

winewitch said:
What's a nice way to tell guests not to mess with the wood burning fireplace in the guest common room? As in, only the innkeepers are permitted to run it, period.
take away the wood

winewitch said:
take away the wood.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
winewitch said:
take away the wood
That has limited success around here...friends have UNUSABLE (very old, original) fireplaces in the guest rooms and guests bring back Duraflame logs and light them up. They have notices up on the mantel to please not try to burn anything but it doesn't stop the guests. They finally had to put decorative floral arrangements in.

winewitch said:
take away the wood.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
winewitch said:
take away the wood
That has limited success around here...friends have UNUSABLE (very old, original) fireplaces in the guest rooms and guests bring back Duraflame logs and light them up. They have notices up on the mantel to please not try to burn anything but it doesn't stop the guests. They finally had to put decorative floral arrangements in.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
winewitch said:
take away the wood
I know I was being facetious. If it is in a common area and is not blocked off to guests then they will try to use it, there is not a whole heckuvalot you can do really other than post a note and patrol the area.

winewitch said:
take away the wood.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
winewitch said:
take away the wood
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
winewitch said:
take away the wood
I know I was being facetious. If it is in a common area and is not blocked off to guests then they will try to use it, there is not a whole heckuvalot you can do really other than post a note and patrol the area.
I guess in the summer we can stick a motion detector with a screaming siren in the flu!! That'll get 'em!

Back