First Cancellation Charge....scared!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoodell

Reaction score
We have just had our second last minute cancellation in the one year we've been open.
I had to force Chris to try and run the charge of one night stay for the first one, and since I had emailed the guest to remind him of our policy, he had put a "hold" on his card. He is now a PITA and we just gave up on that one.
I just got an email cancellation due to "family emergency" for a two night stay this weekend (big University ball game) who had also booked a wine tour and some amenities. I just had Chris charge the lesser of the two night stay (Sat and Sunday stay).
I'm at work so I'm not responding to her until I get home tonight. I could just die since I got a "lead" from BBdot com and told the lead of a room available at another inn. They probably booked it too. AAaagh. I'm hoping I can rebook this room this close in but am not sure.
Riki

If it's a big weekend, you'll probably fill it. Think positive.
On a related note, don't you take deposits?

Don't fret over it. If they try a chargeback all you need to do is to send in your policy. Do you have proof that they agreed to your cancellation policy?

We just booked a room for Sunday night today - I think you'll get some last-minute calls for the weekend since it is a holiday. Can you update your website with the vacancy? That helps us fill a room. I wouldn't run the charge until you see what happens, but if you don't fill it you are definitely in the right to charge it. With all that, do what feels right to you and don't worry about it afterwards. Don't send a gift certificate if the guest is already being a PITA.

If it's a big weekend, you'll probably fill it. Think positive.
On a related note, don't you take deposits?.
Well we state that we charge a one night deposit but since we have so few cancellations in this area we've not been charging it, to save money on fees. We have them send a deposit check in the mail for the tours, and refuse to accept a credit card for a tour deposit.
They must check a box on webervations that they understand the cancellation policy which is 10 days out. I don't have to refund if I book it but probably will. I'm just out to protect myself, not scam anyone. I also have them email me back after I email the confirmation to ensure they received it, so I have that email as well.
I am not sure I'll fill it as for some reason the football game is not sold out which is a first, and my main competitor in my price range still has a room available. Not common for uva football season.
Yes, I've updated webervations and it's already showing available on bbonline.
It's not a big deal as we have a busy day on Friday with wine tours booked, I am just determined not to let the cancellation deposit go or they'll think they can do it anytime.
It could really be a family emergency, but I'm not sure. Maybe their connection for the game tickets fell through or something.
Riki

Sorry to hear this, I hope you sort it all out and dont get the shaft from this guest. It is a holiday weekend, but unlike this past weekend, we have plenty of rooms open - altho schools started here last week, many of them across the country start NEXT week.
Charge him and don't give in.

Sorry to hear this, I hope you sort it all out and dont get the shaft from this guest. It is a holiday weekend, but unlike this past weekend, we have plenty of rooms open - altho schools started here last week, many of them across the country start NEXT week.
Charge him and don't give in..
Thanks. I charged the lesser day since one day was Sat and on Sun. We are somewhat quiet this holiday weekend which is strange as we've been slammed up until last weekend with not only weekends booked but also some week days.
Sept and Oct are going to be hugely busy, both tours and B&B weekend nights.
Riki

Back