First Course before waffles with fruit?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
since the 'fruit course' has gone over so well ...
what about when you serve waffles with blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream (any, all or none with the waffles) syrup is on the tables ... what would you offer as a first course? still offer fruit?
sometimes people toast up english muffins or other toast while they are waiting so i know something would be welcome. i have boiled eggs set out since some want an egg, too. but not sausage or bacon right now as there are guests here who have religious objections ... about 1/2 of them .... no problem, i'm just not serving it as part of breakfast this weekend.

I always serve my waffles topped with fruit - sliced bananas and raspberries with chocolate waffles or sauteed apples with plain ones- and serve a fruit starter. I use a more unadorned fruit starter with the sweet entrees - cantalope slices with blueberries strewn over and a raspberry or concord grape drizzle or a fruit cup with strawberries or watermelon balls and blackberries, with a light lime/ginger syrup. I save the more fussy fruit starters - peach soup, apple/rhubarb crisp, baked pears - for the savory entrees.

Juice and a fruit dish - either a "compote" - I do mango chunks, melon balls, sliced strawberries if I have them, etc.... or a peach pinwheel with a cherry in the middle or a smoothie.

Juice and a fruit dish - either a "compote" - I do mango chunks, melon balls, sliced strawberries if I have them, etc.... or a peach pinwheel with a cherry in the middle or a smoothie..
i am soooo ready for breakfast!
okay ... i need to hit the hay so i can be up at 5 something to have a 6 o'clock promised breakfast ready
fruit wins huh? thank you.
oh ... what is a peach pinwheel? you slice a piece of peach some way?

I always serve my waffles topped with fruit - sliced bananas and raspberries with chocolate waffles or sauteed apples with plain ones- and serve a fruit starter. I use a more unadorned fruit starter with the sweet entrees - cantalope slices with blueberries strewn over and a raspberry or concord grape drizzle or a fruit cup with strawberries or watermelon balls and blackberries, with a light lime/ginger syrup. I save the more fussy fruit starters - peach soup, apple/rhubarb crisp, baked pears - for the savory entrees..
Have this surprise guest and only have the following fresh fruite: honeydew melon, blueberries, and oranges. What to do? What to do?
I'm going to serve a 3 cheese omelet with bacon and a couple of sections of blueberry waffles since I'm not doing a backed good for just one guest.
Ideas??

I always serve my waffles topped with fruit - sliced bananas and raspberries with chocolate waffles or sauteed apples with plain ones- and serve a fruit starter. I use a more unadorned fruit starter with the sweet entrees - cantalope slices with blueberries strewn over and a raspberry or concord grape drizzle or a fruit cup with strawberries or watermelon balls and blackberries, with a light lime/ginger syrup. I save the more fussy fruit starters - peach soup, apple/rhubarb crisp, baked pears - for the savory entrees..
Have this surprise guest and only have the following fresh fruite: honeydew melon, blueberries, and oranges. What to do? What to do?
I'm going to serve a 3 cheese omelet with bacon and a couple of sections of blueberry waffles since I'm not doing a backed good for just one guest.
Ideas??
melon balls and orange segments tossed with some lime juice or even orange juice - top with a few twisted orange zests. Make it easy on yourself.

Ideas??
melon balls and orange segments tossed with some lime juice or even orange juice - top with a few twisted orange zests. Make it easy on yourself.
That's the direction that I was leaning. You confirmed it for me
regular_smile.gif
Thanks! I do have some fresh limes in there, too. Have to have those for my cocktails. haha!

Juice and a fruit dish - either a "compote" - I do mango chunks, melon balls, sliced strawberries if I have them, etc.... or a peach pinwheel with a cherry in the middle or a smoothie..
i am soooo ready for breakfast!
okay ... i need to hit the hay so i can be up at 5 something to have a 6 o'clock promised breakfast ready
fruit wins huh? thank you.
oh ... what is a peach pinwheel? you slice a piece of peach some way?
Open a can of sliced peaches or slices of fresh peaches and put them on a plate like a pinwheel with a marascino cherry in the center. Looks pretty and is very easy.

haha kathleen, here i was thinking i was supposed to slice up a peach in some fancy way ... making life more complicated for myself!

We do ONE plate - a heaping of fruit on the plate is always included.
It's just so much easier.
On that plate, we serve delicious french toast covered with baked apples, OR two baked eggs on english muffins with tomatoe and canadian bacon, OR a hashed brown quiche.
Now, DH is adding to all these dishes, a slice of the most awesome egg and green onion quiche.
My point is that ONE plate saves you loads of time. And the guests just love it.
Of course, your table has to be set elegantly.
I just inherited 8 waterford chrystal glasses.
I use them for juice glasses. DH asked my why I was putting them out on the table and he thought I should "save them", and keep them in a closet for display.
Annywaaay, they look beautiful on the table, shining in all their glory.

Many times that I am serving waffles or another sweet dish I will serve a citrus salad with apples and bananas as the fruit. Since it is acidic I figure that it will offset the sweetness of the entree.

SS - keep a couple cans of sliced peaches on the shelf. If you get caught "short" (for me an actual reservation in the winter) you can open and drain the peaches and make the pinwheels on salad plates for a very pretty fruit dish. The cherry in the center sets it off nicely. If you have mint, put a couple mint leaves in the center with the cherry in the center of everything.

SS - keep a couple cans of sliced peaches on the shelf. If you get caught "short" (for me an actual reservation in the winter) you can open and drain the peaches and make the pinwheels on salad plates for a very pretty fruit dish. The cherry in the center sets it off nicely. If you have mint, put a couple mint leaves in the center with the cherry in the center of everything..
yes, i'll have to get some peaches.
the reason i want to do a first course sometimes, is it buys me time ... when i'm cooking eggs or waffles or whatever it is, i can only cook up a couple at a time. if 12 people all walk in to the breakfast room at about the same time .... if i can scoot some fruit or something over while they are waiting it's kind of nice. otherwise, i put it all one one plate ... it looks nice that way, too. depends on what i'm making and for how many

SS - keep a couple cans of sliced peaches on the shelf. If you get caught "short" (for me an actual reservation in the winter) you can open and drain the peaches and make the pinwheels on salad plates for a very pretty fruit dish. The cherry in the center sets it off nicely. If you have mint, put a couple mint leaves in the center with the cherry in the center of everything..
the reason i want to do a first course sometimes, is it buys me time ... when i'm cooking eggs or waffles or whatever it is, i can only cook up a couple at a time. if 12 people all walk in to the breakfast room at about the same time .... if i can scoot some fruit or something over while they are waiting it's kind of nice. otherwise, i put it all one one plate ... it looks nice that way, too. depends on what i'm making and for how many
seashanty said:
Another option is to stock up on jarred fruits. I think they taste a tad better than canned. We keep them on hand in case a melon isn't ripe when we want to use it. And, yes, the fruit course buys you time. Except you have to get it out there WHILE you're cooking. And once the guests see you, they want your attention!

hijole... late to the conversation ... again. When we serve waffles with strawberries and cream, we still put out a large fruit plate, just don't include strawberries on it. But, we have so much to choose from here that we really don't need to add them.
One large fruit plate on the table for the first course followed by ... eggs or waffles or ... followed by a baked item.

hijole... late to the conversation ... again. When we serve waffles with strawberries and cream, we still put out a large fruit plate, just don't include strawberries on it. But, we have so much to choose from here that we really don't need to add them.
One large fruit plate on the table for the first course followed by ... eggs or waffles or ... followed by a baked item..
bree - you need to come to my place! guests can see me from the breakfast room while i'm cooking anyway ... and they talk to me over the counter ... i'll find a pic and post it or something. so that's not a concern. it would be nice to be out of site as i cook but i am used to the arrangement. they can see me from about the waist up and can't see what i drop and then kick into the corner.
where is that chocolate lab?
wink_smile.gif

One large fruit plate on the table for the first course followed by ... eggs or waffles or ... followed by a baked item..
bree - you need to come to my place! guests can see me from the breakfast room while i'm cooking anyway ... and they talk to me over the counter ... i'll find a pic and post it or something. so that's not a concern. it would be nice to be out of site as i cook but i am used to the arrangement. they can see me from about the waist up and can't see what i drop and then kick into the corner.
where is that chocolate lab?
wink_smile.gif

He got stuck hitch hiking in Massachusetts :)

Back