First dietary restricted guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
One: no saturated fat, one: no wheat, no fat, no tomatoes, another no wheat.
Normal brekkie for the no saturated fat, potatoes in olive oil, and he said canadian bacon OK,
The no wheat, no tomatoes brought his own cereal and non dairy beverage. I supplemented with lots of fresh fruit. They wanted a dinner, and brought their own veggies, I supplemented with rice. The no wheat lady and her husband wanted a dinner: made Thai red curry vegetables and rice, with a oatmeal marionberry cobbler to follow. They were happy. Now one more brekkie. These guests were all delightful, and clear about their needs. They made it easy. And all the 'specials' chose the same weekend. Now more confidence for the next time!
chef.gif

KathleenM

Dinner, too? That makes for a lot of menu planning.
I took a reservation last night and got to the dietary restrictions part. The woman said 'no, we don't have any restrictions.' Then she added 'well, my husband can't eat mousse because he's allergic to egg whites.'
You don't think an allergy to egg whites might be worth a mention at a place where you're getting served a full breakfast? And it gets mentioned in the context of mousse? Come on, people...

I took a reservation last night and got to the dietary restrictions part. The woman said 'no, we don't have any restrictions.' Then she added 'well, my husband can't eat mousse because he's allergic to egg whites.'
You don't think an allergy to egg whites might be worth a mention at a place where you're getting served a full breakfast? And it gets mentioned in the context of mousse? Come on, people....
Ohhhhhh, that's too funny! Well, funny in the ironic way, not haha. I'm just always amazed at how people "think"!
I know I'm in trouble when I ask if they have any dietary restrictions and I'm told....oh, I'll fax you the list!

Oh my...you do dinners too? I don't see how you can do it? I could not put up with all of those special requirements.When it gets to that point, I either say "what do you want for breakfast? or, Sorry we cannot accomodate special diets.

You don't think an allergy to egg whites might be worth a mention at a place where you're getting served a full breakfast? And it gets mentioned in the context of mousse? Come on, people....
Ohhhhhh, that's too funny! Well, funny in the ironic way, not haha. I'm just always amazed at how people "think"!
I know I'm in trouble when I ask if they have any dietary restrictions and I'm told....oh, I'll fax you the list!
I had a two page email from someone with Crohn's - good thing, because it was really very specific what she could and couldn't eat. Trouble was it was for a group reservation and another couple was lactose intolerant.
This reservation was for non-B&B people, I'm pretty sure. When I asked what he would like for breakfast, she said cereal. I'm guessing they are used to the HIE continentals rather than a full-blown B&B spread.

We are far off the beaten path, and due to recent feedback, can no longer recommend the one local restaurant. The closest we can recommend is a 20 minute drive - the really good ones are an hour away. So we pretty much have to do dinners, and with only two rooms, its not too much. Due to the driving distance, I keep a very well stocked pantry, so last minute we can usually come up with something. I'm trying to develop some set dinners we can offer as an add-on for online booking. Due to the reception and relative ease of the Thai dinner, that one will probably be on the 'permanent' menu.
We're always learning!
KathleenM

We are far off the beaten path, and due to recent feedback, can no longer recommend the one local restaurant. The closest we can recommend is a 20 minute drive - the really good ones are an hour away. So we pretty much have to do dinners, and with only two rooms, its not too much. Due to the driving distance, I keep a very well stocked pantry, so last minute we can usually come up with something. I'm trying to develop some set dinners we can offer as an add-on for online booking. Due to the reception and relative ease of the Thai dinner, that one will probably be on the 'permanent' menu.
We're always learning!
KathleenM.
Other Kathleen, I do homemade Manicotti for my dinners with salad (huge bowl - serve yourself) and homemade French bread with either a low-fat ice cream or homemade chocolate pudding (hey, I get a lot of practice with that!) for dessert. The pasta is sooo easy to make and I usually make 16 to 20 when I make them. One per is a serving (a guest described it to another guest as a manicotti log) and brought out on a plate with a rosemary sprig as stem, thin slices of green or red pepper (or both) as leaves, and a center slice of a roma tomato as the flower with half a black olive tying it all together at the base of the "stem" as decoration on the plate. I use low-fat cheeses for the filling.
I vac seal the rest in bags of 2 or 4 (no sauce) and freeze until needed. Add sauce and fresh parmesan cheese when I bake them for the dinner. Always handy and the first dinner covered the major expense for all the other dinners.

Grazie! Great idea. Do you use ricotta, and does it freeze well?
-KathleenM

Grazie! Great idea. Do you use ricotta, and does it freeze well?
-KathleenM.
Low-fat or fat-free ricotta (my shtick remember is low-fat) (2 large tubs), low fat shredded mozzarella (couple large size bags), dump in about half a large jar of grated romano and same of grated Parmesan, add a couple eggs, mince some basil and orgeano from the herb garden and mix it all up. I have a pasta maker (the crank roller type and crank the pasta to a #4) and cut the sheets into 3 to 4 inch pieces. put on rack to dry. Put in boiling water with a bit of olive oil and boil for about 9 - 10 minutes. Take out of water with a tool (flat round shape with all the drain holes in it - cannot remember what it is called right now) and put a "log" of filling to size of piece of pasta. roll that sucker up and put fold side down in the bags. Freezes very well. If I do not remember to defrost, the vac bags can be put in boiling water for quick thaw.
Put enough of favorite tomato (or spaghetti) sauce in bottom of 9 x 13 pan for up to 6 manicottis (size pan to number of manicottis but they DO GROW in size as they bake), add maicotti and cover with spagetti sauce. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake @ 350 to 375 for about 45 min. SUPER easy.
PASTA: I use only egg whites and 2 egg whites = 1 egg.
I usually use 2 to 3 cups of semolina per batch and make a "well" and add equivilant of 1 egg per each cup of semolina. Add a scant 1/4 cup cold water. Mix. If it feels too dry, put your hand under cold water faucet and then mix. You do not want it too moist (it will stick to everything ) and that is why you do the "water on hand" method. Make into small ball and flatten so it will go through the rollers. Enjoy!

I've got 9 days straight of a full house coming up- dietary restricted and the worst kind-no eggs (as in allergy)! Why, why, why, do these people go to B&B's?
I'm seriously thinking of charging extra to accommodate special diets, see if that curbs it. How can I can offer the same quality of foods without going out and spending astronomical amounts of money to buy specialty products to recreate their meals to their specs that are going to go bad before I have a chance to use them up?
I am so done with diets! I would never expect someone at a B&B to accommodate my dietary needs if I had something like egg allergy. Come on, it's a freakin' bed and BREAKFAST people! Like you wise ones say, if they went to Lenny's they would be SOL, why am I expected to accommodate this?
At least they're all coming at the same time, so I can get them all over with at once.

I've got 9 days straight of a full house coming up- dietary restricted and the worst kind-no eggs (as in allergy)! Why, why, why, do these people go to B&B's?
I'm seriously thinking of charging extra to accommodate special diets, see if that curbs it. How can I can offer the same quality of foods without going out and spending astronomical amounts of money to buy specialty products to recreate their meals to their specs that are going to go bad before I have a chance to use them up?
I am so done with diets! I would never expect someone at a B&B to accommodate my dietary needs if I had something like egg allergy. Come on, it's a freakin' bed and BREAKFAST people! Like you wise ones say, if they went to Lenny's they would be SOL, why am I expected to accommodate this?
At least they're all coming at the same time, so I can get them all over with at once..
Willowpondgj said:
At least they're all coming at the same time, so I can get them all over with at once.
This is a good time to do a buffet, a nice buffet and they can pick and choose and you can smile and not worry about it. Seriousely, I would do that.

At least they're all coming at the same time, so I can get them all over with at once..
Willowpondgj said:
This is a good time to do a buffet, a nice buffet and they can pick and choose and you can smile and not worry about it. Seriousely, I would do that.
I think I'm going to go apply for a job at the post office.

I think if they are going to go way overboard and expect the world from you...I would just say " I am sorry I am unable to accommodate your dietary restrictions, I would be happy to recommend someone who can."...if you can't then just say I am sorry, I forgot to check my calendar, we don't have any availability on the dates you requested.
Even with my nutrition background, I too became weary of some of the special dietary requests...we ran a B & B not a made to order restaurant. IF they can't eat what I served...let them bring their own food.
embaressed_smile.gif
ANother reason I retired.

I agree with Joe, serve a buffet. We usually do that for a full house that is together.
We have vegans coming this week and they've been here before so I know we fed them something I just don't remember what. I've asked them what they usually eat but no response yet.

I would go with CatLady's standard, "What do you usually eat?" If it's simple add some spiffed up fruit and be done with it! I think we overthink a lot of things and it can wear us out.
Hang in there!

Though it's not our first dietary restricted guest, we're getting our first gluten free this Thursday. DW is serving her egg casserole concoction, "Southwestern Round-up". It's usually served with homemade biscuits or flour tortillas, but this gal is getting extra fruit.

Though it's not our first dietary restricted guest, we're getting our first gluten free this Thursday. DW is serving her egg casserole concoction, "Southwestern Round-up". It's usually served with homemade biscuits or flour tortillas, but this gal is getting extra fruit..
What about some kind of corn polenta or something like that?

Though it's not our first dietary restricted guest, we're getting our first gluten free this Thursday. DW is serving her egg casserole concoction, "Southwestern Round-up". It's usually served with homemade biscuits or flour tortillas, but this gal is getting extra fruit..
Samster said:
Ya'll talking about grits?
smiley-char092.gif

Seriously, isn't there a problem with some corn products?

Bob's Red Mill makes a really great GF bread mix. Throw it in the bread machine. It toasts up really well and you can freeze the rest for the next GF guest. I don't know about in Texas, but you find it in the regular supermarkets here.

DW found a Gluten-Free bread mix and made an orange-cranberry bread for our guest this morning. It was a bit hit as was her southwestern style egg casserole. The guest was so appreciative and we both got hugs as she left this morning.

Back