First Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! So, everyone else has been upbeat, let me do the downer thing...you may want to let the guests know all of the hoopla is because they are your first guests. They may decide to repeat because of the wine and fondue, only to find out that was a one off.
If they are not appreciative, if they destroy your towels wiping chocolate sauce all over them, if they spill the wine and try to hide it...let it go. Don't take that sort of thing personally- it isn't personal.
Please enjoy your first guests!
As for the dinner ladies...make sure you make enough money to pay for the food and your time and the planning. Have a set menu so you're not doing more and more for less and less because they keep saying, 'Oh, could you just throw this in, too...'
I'm considering moving to the Maritimes when we're done here...you're right...you're friendly..
Thanks for your great advice.and all the congrats. We make our own wine and will be giving a free bottle in their room as a keepsake(for special occasions like anniversary,birthday etc). The wine and fondue will be offered in the great room because of the liquor license. The only concern I have is that we are in the country so should I place a menu in the room if they don't plan on going to the city? I mean they have to eat other meals beside breakfast. Thinking of doing an Italian dish with salad.garlic toast and dessert at $12 per person. Feel free to comment. By the way--anyone have a simple fudge recipe?
riverbendnewbie said:
The only concern I have is that we are in the country so should I place a menu in the room if they don't plan on going to the city? I mean they have to eat other meals beside breakfast. Thinking of doing an Italian dish with salad.garlic toast and dessert at $12 per person. Feel free to comment.
I offer dinners because, like you, I'm out in the country and not everyone wants to drive into town for dinner. In my confirmation email, on my website, and in the in-room information booklet I indicate that I can provide dinners here with advance notice. I need to know ahead of time in order to do my shopping and to do any advance prep work. Sometimes guests ask about dinner without much notice (at breakfast ask about having dinner that evening) and if I can do it, I say okay. If not, I tell them sorry but dinner is not available this evening. You may want to consider the same scenario. It's not very cost effective to have dinner ingredients on hand for a house full of 'maybes'.
However, when one couple books dinner in advance, I often pick up extra ingredients and then let other guests know that dinner is available that evening. It's much better economically for me to do dinner for more than just 2 people. And if I don't have any takers on the dinner, I can just toss the chicken breasts or whatever in the freezer for me and hubby later.
Also, fast forward to next summer (or whenever your peak season is) and imagine trying to do last minute dinners (shopping, prep, cleanup) while flipping rooms and prepping breakfast. Make sure whatever you decide to do will work down the road.
Re price: do not underprice yourself! I charge twice that for a simple supper. Your price has to not only cover the cost of your groceries and utilities to shop for, prep, cook and clean up after the dinner. It also has to pay your time to do all that and serve it too. An evening of work all for (in your example) $24 if two people are dining? There's nothing wrong with having your guests pay for the convenience of not driving into town. Just try to find a $12 dinner in town! You're worth more than that.

Wonderful! Congratulations on your first guests!
My very first guests were innkeepers!! There were my best guests so far in almost 9 months
teeth_smile.gif

I do vividly remember my next guests though. But my all-time favorite non-innkeeper guests that stick in my head include a husband who came in the house & had the "deer in the headlights" look.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
What is a B&B? lol! They ended up extending their stay another night for a total of 4 nights. The ultimate compliment imvvho. And, he was the guest that left me my first monetary tip & told me to spend it on something for myself & not tell my husband. Haha!
If you love what you do, your first guests and all your guests will pick up on that. Take a breath and enjoy them! Best of luck.

Don't hover. After the wine and fondue (that is if they are even interested, we've had guest who don't like sweets and didn't drink) LEAVE THEM ALONE. It really depends on the guests, but some are more open than others and some socialize more than others. Let them know that you're available to them should they need you then let them relax. You can provide other times for socializing with you, at which point it becomes their option to which they can accept or decline.
Finally, make your guest feel valued. If you can do that, all the other details of your B&B will fade from their memory, but they'll always remember how they felt during their visit.

Don't hover. After the wine and fondue (that is if they are even interested, we've had guest who don't like sweets and didn't drink) LEAVE THEM ALONE. It really depends on the guests, but some are more open than others and some socialize more than others. Let them know that you're available to them should they need you then let them relax. You can provide other times for socializing with you, at which point it becomes their option to which they can accept or decline.
Finally, make your guest feel valued. If you can do that, all the other details of your B&B will fade from their memory, but they'll always remember how they felt during their visit..
Proud Texan said:
Finally, make your guest feel valued. If you can do that, all the other details of your B&B will fade from their memory, but they'll always remember how they felt during their visit.
I have to agree with letting the guests know you're available if they need to know something, but leaving them to their own devices. We're very 'chatty' during breakfast (and before) but at night we leave guests alone. We wander out into the common spaces to 'check' but if no one 'notices' us, we disappear again.
Guests have our full attention at check-in and from around 7 AM to 10 AM. After that they can ring the bell for assistance, we let them be.

My very first guests were innkeepers!! There were my best guests so far in almost 9 months
teeth_smile.gif

I do vividly remember my next guests though. But my all-time favorite non-innkeeper guests that stick in my head include a husband who came in the house & had the "deer in the headlights" look.
What is a B&B? lol! They ended up extending their stay another night for a total of 4 nights. The ultimate compliment imvvho. And, he was the guest that left me my first monetary tip & told me to spend it on something for myself & not tell my husband. Haha!
If you love what you do, your first guests and all your guests will pick up on that. Take a breath and enjoy them! Best of luck..
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

If you love what you do, your first guests and all your guests will pick up on that. Take a breath and enjoy them! Best of luck.
Arriving like 14 hours late at 3am in the morning? You are a gluten for punishments. (sorry I like using gluten vs glutton now it is cute! Innkeepers are glutens)

teeth_smile.gif

If you love what you do, your first guests and all your guests will pick up on that. Take a breath and enjoy them! Best of luck..
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

Arriving like 14 hours late at 3am in the morning? You are a gluten for punishments. (sorry I like using gluten vs glutton now it is cute! Innkeepers are glutens)
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

And arriving separately, instead of together. And without luggage, either of them. And crashing your St Paddy's day party. Yeah, gluten, for sure.

Well so far so good. Eggs their way ,bacon,ham and homemade toast (whole grain),maritime grilled taters(home fries). Homemade jams. Fresh fruit with yogurt to start. They were tea drinkers so made a pot and set it at their table. made oatmeal muffins with dried cranberries and pecans. They are off to the city. The only thing I forgot was the juice--brought it out late but they didn't seem to care. Whew! One more night to go!

Well so far so good. Eggs their way ,bacon,ham and homemade toast (whole grain),maritime grilled taters(home fries). Homemade jams. Fresh fruit with yogurt to start. They were tea drinkers so made a pot and set it at their table. made oatmeal muffins with dried cranberries and pecans. They are off to the city. The only thing I forgot was the juice--brought it out late but they didn't seem to care. Whew! One more night to go!.
riverbendnewbie said:
The only thing I forgot was the juice--brought it out late.
OMG!!! NOT THE JUICE!
whattha.gif
You might as well pack it up and lock the doors.
wink_smile.gif

We just opened in August and I think the worst we've done is we forgot an extra roll of toliet paper in one of our cottages and the guest came a'knockin asking for one.
embaressed_smile.gif

RULE NO. 1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
RULE NO. 2: It's all small stuff.
DW is in charge of the kitchen. It's my job to pour the coffee and I will ask each guest what, if any juice they prefer. Sometimes they don't want anything; in which case I will remove their juice glass. If you can delegate some of the smaller task like these, it will go a lot smoother.

Well so far so good. Eggs their way ,bacon,ham and homemade toast (whole grain),maritime grilled taters(home fries). Homemade jams. Fresh fruit with yogurt to start. They were tea drinkers so made a pot and set it at their table. made oatmeal muffins with dried cranberries and pecans. They are off to the city. The only thing I forgot was the juice--brought it out late but they didn't seem to care. Whew! One more night to go!.
riverbendnewbie said:
OMG!!! NOT THE JUICE!
whattha.gif
wink_smile.gif

We just opened in August and I think the worst we've done is we forgot an extra roll of toliet paper in one of our cottages and the guest came a'knockin asking for one.
embaressed_smile.gif

DW is in charge of the kitchen. It's my job to pour the coffee and I will ask each guest what, if any juice they prefer. Sometimes they don't want anything; in which case I will remove their juice glass. If you can delegate some of the smaller task like these, it will go a lot smoother.
Yeah I know I am being silly-- all you can do is your best! I am loving it though! It helps that these guests are really easy to please. I am sure I will have my PITAS in due time--hopefully never but I know that won't happen.
By the way I almost took a job years ago in Texas but chickened out--love to visit someday.
Thanks for your comments

riverbendnewbie said:
OMG!!! NOT THE JUICE!
whattha.gif
wink_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Yeah I know I am being silly-- all you can do is your best! I am loving it though! It helps that these guests are really easy to please. I am sure I will have my PITAS in due time--hopefully never but I know that won't happen.
By the way I almost took a job years ago in Texas but chickened out--love to visit someday.
Thanks for your comments
We'd welcome you here.
cheers.gif

riverbendnewbie said:
OMG!!! NOT THE JUICE!
whattha.gif
wink_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your comments
In 6 months (knock wood), I have not had a true PITA yet. A couple high maintenance folks
confused_smile.gif
and one couple that damaged antique furniture
angry_smile.gif
but I couldn't pin it on them mostly because there was a pre-existing small crack.
The things that I worry about....guests never notice.
I bet you don't forget the juice ever again
regular_smile.gif
Keep up the good work!!

riverbendnewbie said:
OMG!!! NOT THE JUICE!
whattha.gif
wink_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your comments
We'd welcome you here.
cheers.gif

Guests departed at 11a.m and they even tipped!! All in all a great weekend. Can't wait for our next guests. Hoping for a little snow soon to brighten up the landscape. This time of year is a lttle dreary but I will start decorating now for Christmas--luv it!

riverbendnewbie said:
OMG!!! NOT THE JUICE!
whattha.gif
wink_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Thanks for your comments
We'd welcome you here.
cheers.gif

Guests departed at 11a.m and they even tipped!! All in all a great weekend. Can't wait for our next guests. Hoping for a little snow soon to brighten up the landscape. This time of year is a lttle dreary but I will start decorating now for Christmas--luv it!
riverbendnewbie said:
Excellent! Feels good doesn't it?
cheers.gif

Hey, I brought out the juice late with my first guests too! so focused on all the extras that we forgot the norm (juice). Oh well, thats not what they will remember.

Back