First Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbendnewbie

Reaction score
Hi again-- Just wanted to let you know that we ahve our first guests arriving tomorrow evening and we are thrilled. because they are our "first" we decided to offer complimentary wine and chocolate fondue with fresh fruit as a welcome. We also got a booking from 9 ladies who want us to do a private Christmas dinner in December. John and I are patient individuals and really believe that if you treat people as you would want to be treated they will come. Sounds a little corny but thats a Maritimer for you. If anyone has some last minute coaching tips I am all ears.

cheers.gif
Congrats on your first guests! It is so nice to hear your enthusiasm and excitement. Enjoy yourselves and your guests, and savor this moment, you only get that "first time feeling" once!
You are right, be patient, treat others as you would want to be treated, and start to develop your tough skin...things will happen that are out of your control but you will learn from them and move on, making your place even better.
I think I just gave myself a pep talk too...thanks for reminding me how fun this business can be! Hope you have a great weekend with your guests.

riverbendnewbie said:
. . . if you treat people as you would want to be treated they will come. . . .
I think you're all set! Congratulations on getting up and running.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Just enjoy yourself and help them to enjoy yourself!
=)
Kk.

We all remember our first.
teeth_smile.gif

Mine was an unmarried coworker fling. They never left their room. boo hoo hoo. Yes I will always remember, I was geared up and ready to innkeep them big time!
Suggestion - since they are the first get as much out of them as possible, ie Trip Advisor review, comments to use on your website (from the guest book) etc, and ask them if you can use those? They might really love to do that, as they will feel ultra special as well!
CONGRATS! We're all batting for you.

Congrats on your first guests.All will be well and you will wonder what you were concerned about.

Congrats on your first guests.All will be well and you will wonder what you were concerned about..
gillumhouse said:
Congrats on your first guests.All will be well and you will wonder what you were concerned about.
I hope they get the full sweaty palms and butterflies! That is all part of the fun! Innkeeping "almost like being in love..."
teeth_smile.gif

We were so nervous with our first guests 6 months ago, but we must not have showed it because they just came back for a second time for 4 nights...we must have done something right! Of course we've made mistakes but B&B guests are mostly a different breed, kind and understanding! We love being innkeepers.

Yay! So, everyone else has been upbeat, let me do the downer thing...you may want to let the guests know all of the hoopla is because they are your first guests. They may decide to repeat because of the wine and fondue, only to find out that was a one off.
If they are not appreciative, if they destroy your towels wiping chocolate sauce all over them, if they spill the wine and try to hide it...let it go. Don't take that sort of thing personally- it isn't personal.
Please enjoy your first guests!
As for the dinner ladies...make sure you make enough money to pay for the food and your time and the planning. Have a set menu so you're not doing more and more for less and less because they keep saying, 'Oh, could you just throw this in, too...'
I'm considering moving to the Maritimes when we're done here...you're right...you're friendly.

Yay! So, everyone else has been upbeat, let me do the downer thing...you may want to let the guests know all of the hoopla is because they are your first guests. They may decide to repeat because of the wine and fondue, only to find out that was a one off.
If they are not appreciative, if they destroy your towels wiping chocolate sauce all over them, if they spill the wine and try to hide it...let it go. Don't take that sort of thing personally- it isn't personal.
As for the dinner ladies...make sure you make enough money to pay for the food and your time and the planning. Have a set menu so you're not doing more and more for less and less because they keep saying, 'Oh, could you just throw this in, too...'
I'm considering moving to the Maritimes when we're done here...you're right...you're friendly..
Thanks for your great advice.and all the congrats. We make our own wine and will be giving a free bottle in their room as a keepsake(for special occasions like anniversary,birthday etc). The wine and fondue will be offered in the great room because of the liquor license. The only concern I have is that we are in the country so should I place a menu in the room if they don't plan on going to the city? I mean they have to eat other meals beside breakfast. Thinking of doing an Italian dish with salad.garlic toast and dessert at $12 per person. Feel free to comment. By the way--anyone have a simple fudge recipe?

Congrats! The Canadian maritimes is beautiful. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

I'm considering moving to the Maritimes when we're done here...you're right...you're friendly..
Thanks for your great advice.and all the congrats. We make our own wine and will be giving a free bottle in their room as a keepsake(for special occasions like anniversary,birthday etc). The wine and fondue will be offered in the great room because of the liquor license. The only concern I have is that we are in the country so should I place a menu in the room if they don't plan on going to the city? I mean they have to eat other meals beside breakfast. Thinking of doing an Italian dish with salad.garlic toast and dessert at $12 per person. Feel free to comment. By the way--anyone have a simple fudge recipe?
riverbendnewbie said:
. . . By the way--anyone have a simple fudge recipe?
I'll post one in the Recipes section momentarily.
edit: posted here

Thinking of doing an Italian dish with salad.garlic toast and dessert at $12 per person. Feel free to comment.
Do not take this personally - but are you nuts? $12 per plate will hardly pay for your ingredients.
I do a big salad with a loaf of homemade French bread, next course - homemade manicotti (homemade pasta and low-fat cheeses with the best sauce in the area - he makes a great sauce and sells it in the grocery) served plated with lovely edible decoration on the plate - dessert & coffee/tea amd I charge $25 per person and no one blinks even though this is Podunk. The pasta recipe is very easy and all you really need is one of those hand-crank pasta makers, When I make it, I make at least 16 to 20 manicottis, set out what I need for that particular meal, and then vaccuum seal the rest in packages of 2 or 4 and put into the freezer until needed. The bags, if it is a last minute notice, can be put in boiling water for a quick thaw, slap on the sauce, add fresh-grated (Krafts or Salerno bags at the dairy section), cover with foil and bake for 30 min or so. Voila!

Congratulations!!!
I would love to move to PEI. That's been in my thought process a lot lately...such beautiful land, and from what I've read here: nice folks, too!!! ;) that's a good combination!

Back