First Natural Disaster at the Inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on safety watch so I took some images, cutting the big branch in the hickory tree.
https://twitter.com/InnkeeperVA/status/219105510564171776/photo/1/large
Even with debris everywhere I had to get this shot:
https://twitter.com/InnkeeperVA/status/219106545076670465/photo/1/large.
https://twitter.com/InnkeeperVA/status/219106545076670465/photo/1/large
It shows hope and beauty in the midst of chaos and destruction. That is a good thing! Thank you.
Just had a call that it looks as if some shingles were blown off the 1778 log house.
gillumhouse said:
It shows hope and beauty in the midst of chaos and destruction. That is a good thing! Thank you.
Just had a call that it looks as if some shingles were blown off the 1778 log house.
Yeah pretty messed up all over here. Trees trees trees the culprits in most cases. Well guess what the insurance agent just called, if I call him EYORE I would be assigning too much enthusiasm. He said he submitted our claim and someone will be coming out. I asked "Don't you come out?" his reply in a slow drawl was "I am just the maggot that submits the paperwork."
Very helpful, indeed.
People are calling now and we are turning them away, as so many don't have power. One guy just called and said "My wife is country, but not THAT country. Can we pay to come over and take a shower?" DH is adamant that we won't be accerting any guests as another severe storm is on the way. We can barely cool the upstairs as it is now, over 100 degrees and heat index.
I think you have legitimate excuse as to not taking guests. what if the next storm takes out your power? Then you would have to deal with that with strangers in your house. Y ou already have more than enough on your plates. Let them go to a hotel:
catlady said:
I think you have legitimate excuse as to not taking guests. what if the next storm takes out your power? Then you would have to deal with that with strangers in your house. Y ou already have more than enough on your plates. Let them go to a hotel:
Yeah we aren't taking any guests. We had it blocked off - long story...my sister is here with fam from Ireland but they went to OBX. without even swinging by, I have not even seen her yet. There's the phone again...I changed the message to that effect. There are still thousands without power. We are expecting another major storm tonight, DH has been out with chain saw in 104 degree heat all day. One town near us has opened up fire hydrants to allow people to get water. There is a lot going on, DH was adamant, and he would have had said take them all!
Our water plants are having power problems and our city - as are most in the area - is on conserve water alerts.
Some counties downstate have 91 to 96% of the county without power.

YOWSA!
whattha.gif
So glad that everyone is OK and that the damage was not worse. But when it happens to you, it is worse! How fortunate that you did not have guests in the house when this all happened.
Good decision not to accept any guests until you get through this...you have no idea what might happen with your roof all torn up like that!
I will never forget what it was like when we had a 50+ year old tree fall on our house. But, we were also lucky that it wasn't worse than it was.
No rain in our forecast until maybe sometime next week and continued very high temps and humidity. It is 105F here right now. The high yesterday was 107F....

Yeah it's 100 degrees right now and raining, a nice rain, not a downpour, but the severe storm for this evening is not here til around 8pm our local expert says.
Update: Had two more rounds of constant lightning, heavy rain, and yes some came through the roof upstairs into the guest rooms. The rain is always fast and furious here, so the winds moved it out quickly.

Yeah it's 100 degrees right now and raining, a nice rain, not a downpour, but the severe storm for this evening is not here til around 8pm our local expert says.
Update: Had two more rounds of constant lightning, heavy rain, and yes some came through the roof upstairs into the guest rooms. The rain is always fast and furious here, so the winds moved it out quickly..
I am so glad no one was hurt. You have such beautiful trees, is most of the landscape intact? Please be careful, as weak branches might go unnoticed and come down. No guests sounds the right approach.

The storm knocked out power all over the State - especially south of me. I now have a full-house. Good thing I spent so much tme with the dreaded ironing board today. Both calls came in after 6 PM.

Sorry for all the terrible weather you are having there - VA & WV!!! JB, you are doing right in not taking in anyone right now. Wait til the adjuster makes his visit, get all the details of what is covered. You should have some loss of revenue claim as well.
Read over your policy carefully to know what is covered and remember that these adjusters work for the Ins. Co., and get paid on how much they save the CO. Make sure you look closely at EVERY little thing that could be damaged and don't sign until you are sure you are getting your full paid coverage.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I have been there, done that and have heard from many, many others. Hoping you have an easy time of this and that your place is back to mint in record time.
PS - you could send some rain this way, but we have all the heat we can take!
cry_smile.gif

Sorry for all the terrible weather you are having there - VA & WV!!! JB, you are doing right in not taking in anyone right now. Wait til the adjuster makes his visit, get all the details of what is covered. You should have some loss of revenue claim as well.
Read over your policy carefully to know what is covered and remember that these adjusters work for the Ins. Co., and get paid on how much they save the CO. Make sure you look closely at EVERY little thing that could be damaged and don't sign until you are sure you are getting your full paid coverage.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I have been there, done that and have heard from many, many others. Hoping you have an easy time of this and that your place is back to mint in record time.
PS - you could send some rain this way, but we have all the heat we can take!
cry_smile.gif
You bring up some great, important information that I would love to translate into an article for SuiteExchange.com -- would you be interested in emailing me and we could set up a time to chat? jdurrant at convoyant dot com
Thanks!

Will post a photo when it uploads of what woke us up at 6:30 am this morning. No rain or wind, but it rained during the night after a very long dry spell and of course triple digit heat here in the Deep South. Luckily, this time it did not hit the house. This is 1/3 of the tree down and the city workers will be back today or tomorrow to take down the rest of the tree since it has a rotten out hole in the middle where everything branched out many, many years ago.
ETA: I can't get the file uploaded for some reason. This tree is taller than our 2 story house. We will lose a lot of shade, but I don't want another tree falling on the house!

Will post a photo when it uploads of what woke us up at 6:30 am this morning. No rain or wind, but it rained during the night after a very long dry spell and of course triple digit heat here in the Deep South. Luckily, this time it did not hit the house. This is 1/3 of the tree down and the city workers will be back today or tomorrow to take down the rest of the tree since it has a rotten out hole in the middle where everything branched out many, many years ago.
ETA: I can't get the file uploaded for some reason. This tree is taller than our 2 story house. We will lose a lot of shade, but I don't want another tree falling on the house!.
Oh no...so sorry....hate to hear that. You have to first upload to your account, and then select it with the file browser to post in the message. Of course most of our trees have gone by the wayside over these years...many we took out, but hurricanes did the others. The way the remaining ones were swaying in the wind the other night, I am surprised they made it.

ETA: I can't get the file uploaded for some reason. This tree is taller than our 2 story house. We will lose a lot of shade, but I don't want another tree falling on the house!.
That's hard- completely losing an old tree. They're part of the history of the neighborhood.

Oh no...so sorry....hate to hear that. You have to first upload to your account, and then select it with the file browser to post in the message. Of course most of our trees have gone by the wayside over these years...many we took out, but hurricanes did the others. The way the remaining ones were swaying in the wind the other night, I am surprised they made it.
Yes, I know how to upload a photo to the account, etc. It's just not working for whatever reason and I don't have the patience to muck with it right now!

That's hard- completely losing an old tree. They're part of the history of the neighborhood.
Yes, losing this one will now completely change the streetscape on our corner.
sad_smile.gif
It's in line with the one that we lost 2 years ago that destroyed our side yard and damaged our house. We still have a very old elm between our house & garage which lost a giant branch last summer (fell on our garage but thankfully did little damage) and we're considering taking the whole thing down now before our luck runs out!!
The shade will be gone from that side of the house now too.
The city forestry guy told me that they are replacing these old trees with oaks now. He said this one is a hackberry but I don't think it is because I have never seen the green berries that he mentioned. So, we will put in for 2 oaks to be planted in about the same locations after they remove this one and grind down the stump.

Yes, I know how to upload a photo to the account, etc. It's just not working for whatever reason and I don't have the patience to muck with it right now!
we only have 2 trees on our whole property but are prevented from even trimming them by a preservation which is extreme stupidity as the would be more healthy if seen to by a good tree surgen. Am just waiting for a big branch to hit a car.

The storms in Virginia barrelled right through my neighborhood and reached you more quickly than I could have gotten there in my car. This article explains what happened and has links to a time-lapse radar.

The storms in Virginia barrelled right through my neighborhood and reached you more quickly than I could have gotten there in my car. This article explains what happened and has links to a time-lapse radar..
The MOST incredible storm I've ever witnessed.

The storms in Virginia barrelled right through my neighborhood and reached you more quickly than I could have gotten there in my car. This article explains what happened and has links to a time-lapse radar..
Innkeep said:
The storms in Virginia barrelled right through my neighborhood and reached you more quickly than I could have gotten there in my car. This article explains what happened and has links to a time-lapse radar.
Thanks for that link.
Funny the wind looked like seagull splats as it came along, that is pretty much how it felt! Getting dumped on! I saw it really bluster out of control as soon as it hit SW VA and moving past us.
Funny how many news stories, evne this one covers DC/MD and yet you should see the damage and outages throughout the rest of the state, earlier it was like 60-80% still without power in Charlottesville VA. A Hot Hurricane, with not even a moments warning to anyone. I stood outside and looked down the street at the old Angle Hardware store with it's Nuclear Fall Out Shelter sign still affixed to the outside, with sirens, and wondered what it would be like if something else had happened...
Our fireworks show was on tonight, we walked ot the corner (we're on this hill) and all the places we normally sit were covered in debris, so we all sat in the road.

Innkeep said:
It was like John Dillinger trying to outrun the feds!

Innkeep said:
Thanks for that link.
Funny the wind looked like seagull splats as it came along, that is pretty much how it felt! Getting dumped on! I saw it really bluster out of control as soon as it hit SW VA and moving past us.
Funny how many news stories, evne this one covers DC/MD and yet you should see the damage and outages throughout the rest of the state, earlier it was like 60-80% still without power in Charlottesville VA. A Hot Hurricane, with not even a moments warning to anyone. I stood outside and looked down the street at the old Angle Hardware store with it's Nuclear Fall Out Shelter sign still affixed to the outside, with sirens, and wondered what it would be like if something else had happened...
Our fireworks show was on tonight, we walked ot the corner (we're on this hill) and all the places we normally sit were covered in debris, so we all sat in the road.
West Virginia got hit so bad that the entire State has been declared a disaster area. The kids I gave 2 rooms to for 2 nights were told 2 weeks for power. A nearby COUNTY is on conserve water with food, water, and heat stations set up in various locations and stations like that are set up all over the State. I was one of the lucky ones to have NOT lost power.
The numbers are improving - morning paper says still out of power - 19% of my county, 60% of the county south of us, 54% of the county mentioned above, and the other counties that border us are 35%, 47%, and 35%. It is the heat that makes it so difficult. The family with us spent the day at the Park pool yesterday and planned the same today. The City hooked up a generator from the sewer plant to be able to do our concert Monday night. It was postponed from Sunday. We had thousands of people (4 to 5 k) coming to get some entertainment. It was so hot I was melting (OK I wish) until an hour after the sun went down. Cymbals were put on the stand and 15 minutes later were touched accidently - they were brought back in the the bath house because they were so hot to touch.
It is now hoped power will be back on by Sunday.
I hope your area is faring better, JB.

There was a boil water issued for our county this am.
Here is something, in cities with ghetto's there is, as you can imagine, break ins, with so many without power. Even generators are being stolen from businesses. Richmond is a very high crime area, very bad area, not a place you would want to get off the highway on the wrong street, type city. Downtown and monument ave, and the canals, awesome, but around it, like any state capital, is poverty.
Two guys with a clipboard show up and just walk into the kitchen, the guests let them in. So IF you want to rob a place, show up with a clipboard.
(Yes it was the insurance dudes from the claim we filed, but still)

We're both glad you're unharmed. I'm saddened at the loss of your big tree; that's irreplaceable. Hopefully, you'll get a response from your insurance company. I would imagine they're overwhelmed right now, but there should at least be a toll-free number for emergencies. It might be time to switch companys.

Back