First reservation after getting home

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Been gone a few days. Got a call, then an online booking, then a call. In the space of 5 minutes. First call asking if we have rooms. Online booking after looking at rooms. Next call saying they didn't get a confirmation. And a list as long as my arm of things they can't eat and what has to be recleaned in the room before they can occupy it.
Welcome home!
I'm planning to leave again.

Same happened to us. You wonder about the calls you missed. Then you pour another glass of wine and remember your vacation.

Same happened to us. You wonder about the calls you missed. Then you pour another glass of wine and remember your vacation..
TheBeachHouse said:
Same happened to us. You wonder about the calls you missed. Then you pour another glass of wine and remember your vacation.
I know what calls I missed...DH wrote them all down for me telling me all the deals he made while I was gone. Which, of course, included not charging the deposits from the other thread. ;-) And not charging for kids. And giving discounts in July.

Same happened to us. You wonder about the calls you missed. Then you pour another glass of wine and remember your vacation..
TheBeachHouse said:
I know what calls I missed...DH wrote them all down for me telling me all the deals he made while I was gone. Which, of course, included not charging the deposits from the other thread. ;-) And not charging for kids. And giving discounts in July.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Oh, honey!

TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Oh, honey!
I'm the grumpy cat in this house.

TheBeachHouse said:
[/quote]
[/quote]
I hope you slapped him!
angry_smile.gif

TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Oh, honey!
Madeleine said:
I would be also. The ONLY OK, one of the only, saving graces possessed by Himself is that when it comes to the B & B he only takes a phone number for me to call and then calls my cell immediately with the number.

Yup, I typically come home to the same scenario! Have your wine because it will never change.

Maddie I'd be grumpy too. I find that the few times my DH handles the reservations he takes the easy road. Gives them what they want in order to quickly seal the deal and having a happy conversation.

Dealing with one such issue right now myself that he started. A whole house booking by a repeat guest that ALWAYS wants a discount. This time is wanting to book during our high season, weekend of course with a discount. The last time they reserved the whole house, they canceled all but 2 rooms. I have put my foot down and am the big bad bully.

TheBeachHouse said:
Oiy! Take a deep breath and remember, they pay, they stay, they go away. It has been the mantra that has seen me through some tough times. Hopefully you will get a string of really nice guests to lessen the sting from the PITAs.
I have finally trained DH not to take reservations. His hearing is less than perfect so names and numbers are often his creative effort to make sense out of a conversation. Besides, he really can not be stern and like your DH he tends to give away the farm.

TheBeachHouse said:
[/quote]
I hope you slapped him!
angry_smile.gif

[/QUOTE]
Ice said:
I hope you slapped him!
No, can't do that. And I also try not to sigh or groan or ask why. It is what it is. But I think he's seen the error of his ways. The same person who cancelled had a bad cc (so I couldn't even charge the cancellation fee) and also asked DH to see his way clear to letting them stay for one night instead of the 2-night min. Well, that's no nights and no cancellation fee so I hope he remembers that for next time.

TheBeachHouse said:
Oiy! Take a deep breath and remember, they pay, they stay, they go away. It has been the mantra that has seen me through some tough times. Hopefully you will get a string of really nice guests to lessen the sting from the PITAs.
I have finally trained DH not to take reservations. His hearing is less than perfect so names and numbers are often his creative effort to make sense out of a conversation. Besides, he really can not be stern and like your DH he tends to give away the farm.
Mine knew better. He always just handed me the phone if someone called. To this day he still won't answer our home phone..unless I scream "ANSWER IT!"

TheBeachHouse said:
Mine knew better. He always just handed me the phone if someone called. To this day he still won't answer our home phone..unless I scream "ANSWER IT!"
EmptyNest said:
Mine tells me to be nice. ;-)

TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Madeleine said:
My reply would be "why start now..."

Maddie I'd be grumpy too. I find that the few times my DH handles the reservations he takes the easy road. Gives them what they want in order to quickly seal the deal and having a happy conversation.

Dealing with one such issue right now myself that he started. A whole house booking by a repeat guest that ALWAYS wants a discount. This time is wanting to book during our high season, weekend of course with a discount. The last time they reserved the whole house, they canceled all but 2 rooms. I have put my foot down and am the big bad bully..
Copperhead said:

Dealing with one such issue right now myself that he started. A whole house booking by a repeat guest that ALWAYS wants a discount. This time is wanting to book during our high season, weekend of course with a discount. The last time they reserved the whole house, they canceled all but 2 rooms. I have put my foot down and am the big bad bully.
How did you put your foot down? No discount? Half deposit for full house? No refund for cancel? What did you end up doing?

TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Madeleine said:
AMEN!

Dealing with one such issue right now myself that he started. A whole house booking by a repeat guest that ALWAYS wants a discount. This time is wanting to book during our high season, weekend of course with a discount. The last time they reserved the whole house, they canceled all but 2 rooms. I have put my foot down and am the big bad bully..
Copperhead said:

How did you put your foot down? No discount? Half deposit for full house? No refund for cancel? What did you end up doing?
TheBeachHouse said:
Copperhead said:

I am standing by our group booking policy - 1st night deposit + 30 day cancel by. Not giving the option for discount for full house which we don't advertize. They took advantage of us giving them a break last year then canceled 3 of the 5 rooms and putting 4 in one room that had originally booked 1 of the 3 they canceled. I did make them pay the 3-4th in room fee but that really burned my butt. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on ME.
wink_smile.gif

Copperhead said:

TheBeachHouse said:
Copperhead said:

I am standing by our group booking policy - 1st night deposit + 30 day cancel by. Not giving the option for discount for full house which we don't advertize. They took advantage of us giving them a break last year then canceled 3 of the 5 rooms and putting 4 in one room that had originally booked 1 of the 3 they canceled. I did make them pay the 3-4th in room fee but that really burned my butt. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on ME.
wink_smile.gif

Good for you!

TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Oh, honey!
Madeleine said:
I would be also. The ONLY OK, one of the only, saving graces possessed by Himself is that when it comes to the B & B he only takes a phone number for me to call and then calls my cell immediately with the number.
I forward the phone to my cell and call HIM on his to relay his personal calls. :)
otherwise it would be hours until I get home to get the messages. Many guests have booked elsewhere by then
yes we do have online booking, but many still want to phone

Copperhead said:

TheBeachHouse said:
Copperhead said:

wink_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Copperhead said:

wink_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Back