"First room on the left"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, I'm a little confused by the guests who think I am going to leave them alone to find their rooms by themselves. (How do we find our room?) I am equally confused by the guests who yawn at me and tell me how tired they are and close the door in my face. Ditto the ones who bolt thru the living room when I am showing them the tea service only to find out their room is NOT in that direction.
Tonight, this woman yawned in my face about 5 times, absolutely could not THINK about eating she was so tired, then, 'How late are the shops open?' When I showed them to their room, she walked into the bathroom and closed the door while I was showing her where things were. I left her. She can figure out where the oddly-placed light switches are on her own. As it was, her husband was flicking the light switch on and off because the CFL hadn't warmed up yet and he kept saying, 'It's dark in here.' Yeah, I left him, too.
I'm thinking I should just hand out those little cards like they have in the hospital: 'Take elevator A to floor 4. Exit elevator, turn right. Yours is the first room on the left.'
Maybe I should start dressing better or start drinking later...
teeth_smile.gif
I need a pair of really expensive shoes (that I buy at the Goodwill) to wear for check-in, because shoes are a dead giveaway. I wear Birks. I'm the hired help. If I could stand for more than 30 seconds in Manolo Blahniks I'd get respect...what shoes does Condi Rice wear? SHE gets respect.

Hey Bree, how many rooms to you have?.
Okay -- well then, you CAN complain. I really don't know how you do it.
Where do you sit 14 people for breakfast? I'm in awe.
4 rooms is the most I can do. We have eight people here EVERY morning for breakfast. That's the most our dining room table will sit.
Between filling the coffee caraffes and the orange juice pitchers, and the extra toast, etc., I sweat so much, I should be 20 lbs. lighter --- not.

4 rooms is the most I can do. We have eight people here EVERY morning for breakfast. That's the most our dining room table will sit.
Between filling the coffee caraffes and the orange juice pitchers, and the extra toast, etc., I sweat so much, I should be 20 lbs. lighter --- not.
trishany said:
I can have up to 19 for breakfast because I have more than one bed in the rooms. A 'full' house for me is 19. Right now I'm running around 16-18 for breakfast EVERY day.
I don't do a 'seating', you come anytime between 8-9:30. Sometimes guests wait to eat, most of the time it sorts itself out just fine. The other day I set up a table in the living room. THAT day every room that had 2 beds had a kid in the second bed so it was all tables of 3. THAT is hard for me to do.
I don't fill carafes. I put the coffee pot on a warmer and swap it out for a new one when it gets low. I serve the juice myself. If you want more, just ask. No seconds. We don't do seconds. The plates are full enough on firsts!
It's like a little ballet to watch me and hubs in the kitchen, which is, BTW, about 1/4 the size of your kitchen! The guests are chatting with us, we're 'slinging hash' and it all gets done. We're synchronized.

trishany said:
I can have up to 19 for breakfast because I have more than one bed in the rooms. A 'full' house for me is 19. Right now I'm running around 16-18 for breakfast EVERY day.
I don't do a 'seating', you come anytime between 8-9:30. Sometimes guests wait to eat, most of the time it sorts itself out just fine. The other day I set up a table in the living room. THAT day every room that had 2 beds had a kid in the second bed so it was all tables of 3. THAT is hard for me to do.
I don't fill carafes. I put the coffee pot on a warmer and swap it out for a new one when it gets low. I serve the juice myself. If you want more, just ask. No seconds. We don't do seconds. The plates are full enough on firsts!
It's like a little ballet to watch me and hubs in the kitchen, which is, BTW, about 1/4 the size of your kitchen! The guests are chatting with us, we're 'slinging hash' and it all gets done. We're synchronized.
19?! you're not serious. I can't even fathom that. I swear.
YOU are a better woman than me! (and that's saying alot lol!!!!).

trishany said:
i don't like it when i have that many for breakfast. four or five rooms is my comfort zone. that would be 8 to 12 people, depending on whether two have three people in the room.
i cook and serve alone and by the time breakfast is done, i am worn out. i don't want to clean up and i sure as heck don't want to go strip beds! today i ran upstairs and stripped some beds and grabbed the dirty towels, bagged them up and lugged them down the stairs before the laundry pickup which comes too early but it's the only arrangement i have ... if i miss it, next pickup isn't until monday.
i make a huge mess when i'm cooking. sometimes guests stand where they can see me and i have no idea how it looks to them. sometimes, they talk to me over the counter while i'm cooking and plating, other times they try to hand me dirty dishes which is really comical because they want to help and it is the LEAST helpful thing they can do because it is NEVER at a time when my hands are free.
whatever i drop, i kick into a corner. hopefully not dropping too much! but i dribble a lot ... waffle batter, maybe crack an egg that goes schlooping down the counter top, down the face of a cupboard and onto the floor.yeucka. i have two big gel mats that i scrub off each morning and they need it. and you can quote me about the schlooping and the yeucka.

trishany said:
i don't like it when i have that many for breakfast. four or five rooms is my comfort zone. that would be 8 to 12 people, depending on whether two have three people in the room.
i cook and serve alone and by the time breakfast is done, i am worn out. i don't want to clean up and i sure as heck don't want to go strip beds! today i ran upstairs and stripped some beds and grabbed the dirty towels, bagged them up and lugged them down the stairs before the laundry pickup which comes too early but it's the only arrangement i have ... if i miss it, next pickup isn't until monday.
i make a huge mess when i'm cooking. sometimes guests stand where they can see me and i have no idea how it looks to them. sometimes, they talk to me over the counter while i'm cooking and plating, other times they try to hand me dirty dishes which is really comical because they want to help and it is the LEAST helpful thing they can do because it is NEVER at a time when my hands are free.
whatever i drop, i kick into a corner. hopefully not dropping too much! but i dribble a lot ... waffle batter, maybe crack an egg that goes schlooping down the counter top, down the face of a cupboard and onto the floor.yeucka. i have two big gel mats that i scrub off each morning and they need it. and you can quote me about the schlooping and the yeucka.
  • You do all this by yourself?! I can't even imagine that. I really can't.
  • Can you cut down the number or rooms to make it easier foir you?

trishany said:
whatever i drop, i kick into a corner.
I have a Chocolate Lab that just volunteered to come spend the summer with you....he's packing a bag and wants me to help him with a carboard sign that says "Seashanty's or Bust" LOL

trishany said:
I have a Chocolate Lab that just volunteered to come spend the summer with you....he's packing a bag and wants me to help him with a carboard sign that says "Seashanty's or Bust" LOL
Oh, jeeeez, Seashanty, ANOTHER guest -- a chocolate lab!
Do you have any vacancies?

YOU are so adorable! I feel like taking your face and just hugging it.
And, I still can't believe you are running this.
Incredible.

does the lab like bacon and eggs? muffins? waffles? blueberries? (slightly smashed)
He just ran out the door, and I think he took my GPS... I could hear it tell him to turn left at the end of the driveway..... if only he knew left from right I'd say he'd be there by noon tomorrow.
tounge_smile.gif

I agree with SS...give these folks a laminated card with the directions & their key. Then you say, "The innkeeper (or owner) will see you at breakfast tomorrow. Call the number on the laminated card if you have any questions before then." hahahahahahaha! Then, of course the phone number on the card will go to a message that says, "Please see our staff if you have any questions". Evil Samster....

I agree with SS...give these folks a laminated card with the directions & their key. Then you say, "The innkeeper (or owner) will see you at breakfast tomorrow. Call the number on the laminated card if you have any questions before then." hahahahahahaha! Then, of course the phone number on the card will go to a message that says, "Please see our staff if you have any questions". Evil Samster.....
regular_smile.gif
devil_smile.gif
you are a riot. Please note: Staff will be available any time after check out.

trishany said:
does the lab like bacon and eggs? muffins? waffles? blueberries? (slightly smashed) i could do with a warm huggable friend right now.
yes, trisha ... i sometimes block off two of the eight rooms because i really can't manage on my own. if i know ahead of time that i'm flying solo, i've started doing exactly that.
i meant to say, bree, that these must be hotel people ... i can't think of a hotel i've stayed in where they did anything but hand over a keycard and give directions 'take the elevator to the third floor, turn right .... next!'
having 'inn' in the name causes some confusion for my guests. they ask about the front desk staff, the office, etc. i tell them, walk in the door, if i'm not right there to greet you, come straight ahead to the welcome sign at the end of the front hall. we kept the old name and added bed and breakfast. maybe we should have dropped 'inn' from the name. gosh! if anyone came to the OFFICE it would be bad. it doubles as my bedroom/place for broken bits and bobs and random things ... they would be horrified i think if i brought them back here to check in!!!!
here's my messy office ... note the computer, chair and bills in the little sorter thing - that's the 'office' and over my shoulder the bathrobe hanging on the door. my dressing room! on the floor beside me are boxes of who knows what! behind me are shelves piled and filled with 'stuff' that's my storage area ... and you can't see what i'm facing.
devil_smile.gif

messy%20office_0.jpg

I agree with SS...give these folks a laminated card with the directions & their key. Then you say, "The innkeeper (or owner) will see you at breakfast tomorrow. Call the number on the laminated card if you have any questions before then." hahahahahahaha! Then, of course the phone number on the card will go to a message that says, "Please see our staff if you have any questions". Evil Samster.....
regular_smile.gif
devil_smile.gif
you are a riot. Please note: Staff will be available any time after check out.
Even better...I hope Bree takes our suggestions. tee hee....

Back