First Square hitch

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two comments from today
I swiped a guest's card today and when I asked if she wanted her cc rcpt emailed the screen showed up in her hands and her email address was already there. She hit yes, and I thought "Oh no was it the last guest email in there? How could that be?" but sure enough it was hers. She has used square before at their renaissance fair. So this is interesting, I thought worth sharing with you all.
Since square sends you an immediate email telling you of the transaction, I clicked on it and saw yes indeed it was her email account.
Another guest saw me swipe this card and said that is scary. I asked why? She went into the "unsecure thing" about using that. I mentioned to her that this would be more secure, imo, than my other cc processor who is not up on everything as this company would be. I understand they would be a target for hackers, of course..
Joey Bloggs said:
Two comments from today
I swiped a guest's card today and when I asked if she wanted her cc rcpt emailed the screen showed up in her hands and her email address was already there. She hit yes, and I thought "Oh no was it the last guest email in there? How could that be?" but sure enough it was hers. She has used square before at their renaissance fair. So this is interesting, I thought worth sharing with you all.
Since square sends you an immediate email telling you of the transaction, I clicked on it and saw yes indeed it was her email account.
Another guest saw me swipe this card and said that is scary. I asked why? She went into the "unsecure thing" about using that. I mentioned to her that this would be more secure, imo, than my other cc processor who is not up on everything as this company would be. I understand they would be a target for hackers, of course.
I find all of this both interesting and worrisome at the same time.
I bit and ordered a Square Reader yesterday to give it a try. While completing the application I found at least one (maybe 2) of the security questions, to make sure I was who I said I was, were taken from my FB page. One asked which one of the following people do I know: This took me not only by surprise that Square knew who I knew and who I didn't (or thought I didn't) but where the data came from. The only one on the list I knew was someone from my past who I knew from her previous marriage.... since friending her she has since dropped her previous last name and remarried.... I almost stated I knew NONE of the above, but her 1st name is unique and I then recalled her maiden name. Square also asked (by list) where I lived (state) during certain dates: guess that could have come from another source but it is on my FB as well.
My FB is set to private, only friends can see this info about me so I am wondering how Square could? Are we all an open book now?
I saw this yesterday:
Facebook-Moving-truck.gif

Gotta READ! lol
Now I did read a while back where people's homes were burglarized by having their FB state their location using 4 square and other apps on their phones.

Two comments from today
Another guest saw me swipe this card and said that is scary. I asked why? She went into the "unsecure thing" about using that. I mentioned to her that this would be more secure, imo, than my other cc processor who is not up on everything as this company would be. I understand they would be a target for hackers, of course..
Joey Bloggs said:
Two comments from today
Another guest saw me swipe this card and said that is scary. I asked why? She went into the "unsecure thing" about using that. I mentioned to her that this would be more secure, imo, than my other cc processor who is not up on everything as this company would be. I understand they would be a target for hackers, of course.
I bit and ordered a Square Reader yesterday to give it a try. While completing the application I found at least one (maybe 2) of the security questions, to make sure I was who I said I was, were taken from my FB page. One asked which one of the following people do I know: This took me not only by surprise that Square knew who I knew and who I didn't (or thought I didn't) but where the data came from. The only one on the list I knew was someone from my past who I knew from her previous marriage.... since friending her she has since dropped her previous last name and remarried.... I almost stated I knew NONE of the above, but her 1st name is unique and I then recalled her maiden name. Square also asked (by list) where I lived (state) during certain dates: guess that could have come from another source but it is on my FB as well.
My FB is set to private, only friends can see this info about me so I am wondering how Square could? Are we all an open book now?
I saw this yesterday:
Facebook-Moving-truck.gif

Gotta READ! lol
Now I did read a while back where people's homes were burglarized by having their FB state their location using 4 square and other apps on their phones.
copperhead said:
Gotta READ! lol
I saw that coming.

I'm pretty sure the new iTunes terms of service has the same furniture confiscation clause. It's now industry standard.
The credit card companies have become very security conscious. I've recently gone though signing up my guesthouse CC account and one for my sister's new store and in both cases, with different CC companies, it literally took weeks of back and forth to prove to them that we are who we say we are, and that we live where we say we live, before they would activate the accounts. And both required actually talking to me on the phone. I think they wouldn't activate the account without actually hearing my southern accent! It all comes out of 911. They're serious about it! (and that's a good thing, I think)
I guess them checking people's online trail is similar to employers checking the FB page of job applicants. It's the new norm (and that's not a good thing, I think).

Two comments from today
Joey Bloggs said:
Two comments from today
Square sent similar questions to me, and I don't even have ANY personal information on my FB page, not even my last name. Google your real name sometime and see how easy it is to get age, address, and relatives information.

We just went through this too, but I suspect that the information probably comes from your credit report, not Facebook...

One of the questions had an answer that ONLY could have come from FB. All the others had several other avenues to locate info. It is scary just how quick those questions popped up with the info. We are an open book now on the web. No wonder Idenity theft is so wide spread.

Back