First Square hitch

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
Square will not let you issue a partial refund. Somehow a tip got added to a customer bill. I don't know how, since you have to get to a different screen to do tips, and I haven't done this (knowingly) yet. I found out the extra charge had been added in the worst way. The customer phoned. Sigh. I'll send a check for the difference.
Edited to add: Operator error on adding the tip. When I handed the phone to the customer, I inadvertantly touched the touch screen in the wrong place, didn't even realize I did it, and then it was signed and went to the next screen before I realized what had happened. I did the same with the following customer, but was on the alert for such an error, so stopped the process. Gotta be careful where you touch on these small touch screens! I went back over the previous customer list. No problems are lurking!

I have a worse one. The amount I was told the bill would be for the iPhone service WITH DH's phone was not quite what the bill I got today is. Was told $105 per and now have been told $160 - a slight difference? Will be taking the time to go to the Mall tomorrow to raise hell @ the store.

Anon Inn said:
Square will not let you issue a partial refund. Somehow a tip got added to a customer bill. I don't know how, since you have to get to a different screen to do tips, and I haven't done this (knowingly) yet. I found out the extra charge had been added in the worst way. The customer phoned. Sigh. I'll send a check for the difference.
So what you are saying is you would have to refund the full amount and then run the new amount?
Or send a check.

Anon Inn said:
So what you are saying is you would have to refund the full amount and then run the new amount?
Or send a check..
I would have to refund the entire amount then do another charge for the correct amount, but since they are home now, easier to send a check.

Anon Inn said:
Or send a check..
I would have to refund the entire amount then do another charge for the correct amount, but since they are home now, easier to send a check.
Anon Inn said:
I think that is fair enough.
I really would like to know how the gratuity got on there though. If you work it out and care to share at some point. Thx.

I noticed that on Square where you can only refund the exact amount your originally charged. That is something I don't like. On the old credit card machine I could refund any amount. I guess writing a check and sending it to the guest is the way to go. I know a few B & B's that only send checks as refunds because of the fees they incurred with their credit card processor when processing the refund.

This would be bad for all those $25 cancellation fees. We credit the card back the deposit minus the cx fee.
Very inconvenient!

I have a worse one. The amount I was told the bill would be for the iPhone service WITH DH's phone was not quite what the bill I got today is. Was told $105 per and now have been told $160 - a slight difference? Will be taking the time to go to the Mall tomorrow to raise hell @ the store..
Don't you just hate that? Recently signed up for Com cast service, bundled for $99. But then when I asked..."Will my bill be $99/month?", well no....then there are taxes, fees etc. They couldn't give me a total so until I get the bill I will have no idea what the bottom line is. To me, this is just deceptive. As we all know, guests do not like surprises either.

Got the ap downloaded. Tried again this morning - Grrrrr!! Understanding guest gave me a check. THEN I discovered the problem - you have to push that sucker in harder than I did. Ran a charge on my own card after I figured it out. NOW I think I am good to go!! Woohoo!!! Old dogs can learn - it just takes them longer.

When we set up our Sq uare, we chose the option to not accept tips via cc. Guests, however, sometimes leave cash tips which we give to the college students who clean for us on occasion.
So far, very happy with the new system.

WOOHOO!!!!! I did y first Square charge that worked. Guest signed the screen and had his receipt sent to his e-mail!!! I am cooking! Not too bad for an old dog!

Two comments from today
I swiped a guest's card today and when I asked if she wanted her cc rcpt emailed the screen showed up in her hands and her email address was already there. She hit yes, and I thought "Oh no was it the last guest email in there? How could that be?" but sure enough it was hers. She has used square before at their renaissance fair. So this is interesting, I thought worth sharing with you all.
Since square sends you an immediate email telling you of the transaction, I clicked on it and saw yes indeed it was her email account.
Another guest saw me swipe this card and said that is scary. I asked why? She went into the "unsecure thing" about using that. I mentioned to her that this would be more secure, imo, than my other cc processor who is not up on everything as this company would be. I understand they would be a target for hackers, of course.

Two comments from today
I swiped a guest's card today and when I asked if she wanted her cc rcpt emailed the screen showed up in her hands and her email address was already there. She hit yes, and I thought "Oh no was it the last guest email in there? How could that be?" but sure enough it was hers. She has used square before at their renaissance fair. So this is interesting, I thought worth sharing with you all.
Since square sends you an immediate email telling you of the transaction, I clicked on it and saw yes indeed it was her email account.
Another guest saw me swipe this card and said that is scary. I asked why? She went into the "unsecure thing" about using that. I mentioned to her that this would be more secure, imo, than my other cc processor who is not up on everything as this company would be. I understand they would be a target for hackers, of course..
Security is seeing your card swiped right in front of your face. We has ours hacked from the local gas station. :-(

The first card I swiped already had the guests email on the screen too. I could not believe it but now as I have been using it this last month it is normal. People are using this everywhere now and it is no big deal. It does seem more secure to me than a normal credit card machine because if I am charging a card before the guest arrives without the card reader I must have the code on back and the correct zip code or it will decline. My other machine could just bypass all that it will go through. One other note is I get a lot of European guests and received the reservation online and went to do a manual charge and it declined because of the zip code. They do not have zip codes like we do in the United States so I emailed support and they told me to put in five zeros and after trying it again it went through.

The first card I swiped already had the guests email on the screen too. I could not believe it but now as I have been using it this last month it is normal. People are using this everywhere now and it is no big deal. It does seem more secure to me than a normal credit card machine because if I am charging a card before the guest arrives without the card reader I must have the code on back and the correct zip code or it will decline. My other machine could just bypass all that it will go through. One other note is I get a lot of European guests and received the reservation online and went to do a manual charge and it declined because of the zip code. They do not have zip codes like we do in the United States so I emailed support and they told me to put in five zeros and after trying it again it went through..
Barry_Manilow said:
...European guests...it declined because of the zip code. They do not have zip codes like we do in the United States so I emailed support and they told me to put in five zeros and after trying it again it went through.
Good to know!

The first card I swiped already had the guests email on the screen too. I could not believe it but now as I have been using it this last month it is normal. People are using this everywhere now and it is no big deal. It does seem more secure to me than a normal credit card machine because if I am charging a card before the guest arrives without the card reader I must have the code on back and the correct zip code or it will decline. My other machine could just bypass all that it will go through. One other note is I get a lot of European guests and received the reservation online and went to do a manual charge and it declined because of the zip code. They do not have zip codes like we do in the United States so I emailed support and they told me to put in five zeros and after trying it again it went through..
Barry_Manilow said:
...European guests...it declined because of the zip code. They do not have zip codes like we do in the United States so I emailed support and they told me to put in five zeros and after trying it again it went through.
Good to know!
Arkansawyer said:
Barry_Manilow said:
Good to know!
In Ireland they don't even have post codes.
shades_smile.gif

Two comments from today
Another guest saw me swipe this card and said that is scary. I asked why? She went into the "unsecure thing" about using that. I mentioned to her that this would be more secure, imo, than my other cc processor who is not up on everything as this company would be. I understand they would be a target for hackers, of course..
Actually, I agree with your guests and in this country would be a violation of the privacy act. You can't give a third party information on your guest and a third party can't retain that information without the guests explicit permission. So they couldn't keep it, even if you entered it. (I don't even know if I can legally say that a guest is here, without their explicit permission to do so.)
Think of it this way, Square can now send your customer an email, a coupon, spam, etc to their email box directly. All without the permission to use that email address for any other purpose. They can keep track of their purchases and use that for marketing. They could sell it to a bank as a way to market CCs.
I made a special order at HD once, they transmitted the info from my special order to Citi who sent me a CC application form. Privacy commissioner stepped in. Information cannot be used for any purpose not originally intended and cannot be transmitted to a third party without express permission. No more CC churning by Citi.

Two comments from today
Security is seeing your card swiped right in front of your face. We has ours hacked from the local gas station. :-(
I had mine hacked at a supermarket, at a discount department store and right at a US processor. Three times!
First time (supermarket) the card was used in India. I caught it, they removed the charges and issued new card.
Second time (TJ department store) their computers were hacked. The CC processor cut-off my card but didn't tell me. I just kept on getting declined until I called them and they told me the problem. They apparently didn't call anyone, just cut us all off. Irresponsible CC company. In fact, for several month afterward security issues plagued the new card, couldn't use the card to pay for gas at the pump, couldn't process charges for telephone/Internet orders. Even was on a three-way call with the security department and a linen company in the US and the security department couldn't explain why the charge kept on being declined. I ended up switching cards to a different bank who were a lot more professional and the charges went through instantly.
Third time (US processor) their computers were hacked. My CC company called pretty quickly and sent me out a new card with a new number within a few hours.
Amex has also replaced my card a few times with no explanations. They call up, tell me a new card is on the way, old charges will go through, but new charges to the card won't. So I don't have to change anything preset. And pretty quick to change the card as well. I think I am on card 6 on Amex (they number their cards, so you can tell which iteration you are on.)

Two comments from today
Joey Bloggs said:
Two comments from today
Another guest saw me swipe this card and said that is scary. I asked why? She went into the "unsecure thing" about using that. I mentioned to her that this would be more secure, imo, than my other cc processor who is not up on everything as this company would be. I understand they would be a target for hackers, of course.
I find all of this both interesting and worrisome at the same time.
I bit and ordered a Square Reader yesterday to give it a try. While completing the application I found at least one (maybe 2) of the security questions, to make sure I was who I said I was, were taken from my FB page. One asked which one of the following people do I know: This took me not only by surprise that Square knew who I knew and who I didn't (or thought I didn't) but where the data came from. The only one on the list I knew was someone from my past who I knew from her previous marriage.... since friending her she has since dropped her previous last name and remarried.... I almost stated I knew NONE of the above, but her 1st name is unique and I then recalled her maiden name. Square also asked (by list) where I lived (state) during certain dates: guess that could have come from another source but it is on my FB as well.
My FB is set to private, only friends can see this info about me so I am wondering how Square could? Are we all an open book now?

Two comments from today
Joey Bloggs said:
Two comments from today
I find all of this both interesting and worrisome at the same time.
I bit and ordered a Square Reader yesterday to give it a try. While completing the application I found at least one (maybe 2) of the security questions, to make sure I was who I said I was, were taken from my FB page. One asked which one of the following people do I know: This took me not only by surprise that Square knew who I knew and who I didn't (or thought I didn't) but where the data came from. The only one on the list I knew was someone from my past who I knew from her previous marriage.... since friending her she has since dropped her previous last name and remarried.... I almost stated I knew NONE of the above, but her 1st name is unique and I then recalled her maiden name. Square also asked (by list) where I lived (state) during certain dates: guess that could have come from another source but it is on my FB as well.
My FB is set to private, only friends can see this info about me so I am wondering how Square could? Are we all an open book now?
I saw this yesterday:
Facebook-Moving-truck.gif

Back