First Time B&Bers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrh

Reaction score
We were just commenting tonight on how many first time B&B stayers we have. We think maybe 50% or better. Maybe because they see Hotel in our name and overlook B&B??? They all break inn nicely and say they love their B&B experience but just wondering what other inns newby check-in numbers are...
r

Our percentage of newbies is probably close to 50%. Our B&B is a bit different and I think we've found an untapped niche. Although, who's to say how many B&B vets we've lost because we are non-traditional.

I have over the years, had a LOT of first-timers. I was surprised at how many we had back when we were 3 w/shared. We still get many first-timers and I love hearing them say they are now converted to B & B. And I have no idea why - just love it that they choose us for their first experience.

I would say about 60%
Those that have stayed at a b&b are my repeat guests.
Lots of converts after staying here (or so they say....)

We have a single EXTREMELY talkative guest who is holding people hostage at the table...the honeymooners escaped, and she said "we have never been to a B&B, so we thought that was what people do!" I said yes they do talk, but we never have anyone that talkative. Poor people!!! Have to go rescue the bikers now...

We had loads of first timers. It was wonderful indoctrinating them to the world of B & B's:) I would say 99% were sold!

Our virgin percentage is probably close to 60%. All say they will happily choose B&B's in the future. I think the fact that everyone gets high numbers of them bodes very well for our industry. And what were they before they were indoctrinated...gasp.....hotel people!

Not all B&B experiences are good however, all of us can share a few bad ones which might have made us resort to hotels again. Not in this crowd, of course.

Not all B&B experiences are good however, all of us can share a few bad ones which might have made us resort to hotels again. Not in this crowd, of course..
That is why I am grateful first-timers are finding US, meaning those on this Forum for their first B & B experience. May they never find the schlocks.

Okay well here goes...see how it is - this lady will not stop talking, I even went up to strip a room and can hear her on her cell phone while in the furthest room from me. She talks loud nonstop and never takes a breath.
These sweet honeymooners might NEVER go to a BnB again, thanks to her. When I go to a BnB I want solitude and quiet and time to myself (unless visiting one of you folks of course, then it is party time!) But I am not wanting to hear about someone's ailments and life story. JEEPERS!
They had to hear every detail about HER daughter's wedding since they got married two days ago. Yeah, right, that is fair isn't it.
ANOTHER REASON PEOPLE WILL NOT STAY AT BnB'S!!!! I can't blame them, really I can't. I am sneaking around behind my doors to not have to talk.

Okay well here goes...see how it is - this lady will not stop talking, I even went up to strip a room and can hear her on her cell phone while in the furthest room from me. She talks loud nonstop and never takes a breath.
These sweet honeymooners might NEVER go to a BnB again, thanks to her. When I go to a BnB I want solitude and quiet and time to myself (unless visiting one of you folks of course, then it is party time!) But I am not wanting to hear about someone's ailments and life story. JEEPERS!
They had to hear every detail about HER daughter's wedding since they got married two days ago. Yeah, right, that is fair isn't it.
ANOTHER REASON PEOPLE WILL NOT STAY AT BnB'S!!!! I can't blame them, really I can't. I am sneaking around behind my doors to not have to talk..
I have to agree with you here. This is one reason why we have actually cut back going to B & B's. THere are a few friends I will stay with:) But for the most part when we travel now, we will pick a hotel or a private cottage. I want my privacy and do not want to have to sit with people and converse ...or in this case...listen about someone else's life:-( If I were at the table and this happened, I would just say "oops..we've got to get going...see ya..." and LEAVE.

Our first time in a B&B was not the greatest experience. We had already thought of having a B&B, so I booked an anniversary stay. It was in Southern CA and I looked all over for a place with a fireplace in the room. When I called the innkeeper to make the reservation I made sure we had the room with the fireplace and told him it was our anniversary. Well, we get to the place and the entrance was not the front entrance of the lovely building. You had to park in back (no problem), then walk through the back door of the house into a pathway next to the very open kitchen/eating area for the innkeepers. Hmmm, not very private and definitely lost the "wow" factor.
We were then shown to our room and the "fireplace". It was one of those faux fireplaces with a can of sterno type material in a can that you lit for the flame. It seemed very cheesy to me and I felt ripped off. This type of fireplace needs to be described on the website.
At breakfast, we had some nice conversation with the other guests and we discussed that we were wanting to own our own B&B. One couple wanted our card in case we ever did have our own. About 6 months later, we received a letter from that couple with religious quotes, and trying to convert us. I was horrified! Is this really what happens when you go to B&Bs?
Despite that experience, we still did more research and here we are today. If I hadn't had the desire to be an innkeeper, that first experience could have dissuaded me from every trying another one.

Our first time in a B&B was not the greatest experience. We had already thought of having a B&B, so I booked an anniversary stay. It was in Southern CA and I looked all over for a place with a fireplace in the room. When I called the innkeeper to make the reservation I made sure we had the room with the fireplace and told him it was our anniversary. Well, we get to the place and the entrance was not the front entrance of the lovely building. You had to park in back (no problem), then walk through the back door of the house into a pathway next to the very open kitchen/eating area for the innkeepers. Hmmm, not very private and definitely lost the "wow" factor.
We were then shown to our room and the "fireplace". It was one of those faux fireplaces with a can of sterno type material in a can that you lit for the flame. It seemed very cheesy to me and I felt ripped off. This type of fireplace needs to be described on the website.
At breakfast, we had some nice conversation with the other guests and we discussed that we were wanting to own our own B&B. One couple wanted our card in case we ever did have our own. About 6 months later, we received a letter from that couple with religious quotes, and trying to convert us. I was horrified! Is this really what happens when you go to B&Bs?
Despite that experience, we still did more research and here we are today. If I hadn't had the desire to be an innkeeper, that first experience could have dissuaded me from every trying another one..
One more reason why I always read online reviews of a place before booking. Much as some of us might hate TA and others, they really are an invaluable resource for travelers....myself included. I'm willing to bet that Inns with alot of poor reviews are not doing well in this economy. Before reviews, it was every man for himself!

Despite that experience, we still did more research and here we are today. If I hadn't had the desire to be an innkeeper, that first experience could have dissuaded me from every trying another one..
BD that is awful.
The one group of people that tend to try to get email addresses are our British guests. I am stating what my experience is, not sterotyping anyone...they stay with us one night enroute to somewhere else where they tell us they only stay at BnB's when they travel and had met another couple at a BnB and they are going to stay with them now, for a week.
This happens frequently. I want to tell them "Yes Americans say things, like let's get together' or give us a call if you are every in our area" that is NOT an invite. It really bugs me, as I see it ALL the time.
I inquire sometimes out of curiosity, oh these are friends of the family, etc? NO we don;t even know them and they invited us to stay with them. Hm, right.
So sometimes when I see the exchange later on I wonder if they are getting JUNK MAIL or JUNK GUESTS. !!
I have guests who stay here who are involved in this or that and whatdoyaknow I am now on their mailing list! Happens constantly, so I am careful how much interest I show toward any of those type discussions. It sucks!

BD that is awful.
The one group of people that tend to try to get email addresses are our British guests. I am stating what my experience is, not sterotyping anyone...they stay with us one night enroute to somewhere else where they tell us they only stay at BnB's when they travel and had met another couple at a BnB and they are going to stay with them now, for a week.
This happens frequently. I want to tell them "Yes Americans say things, like let's get together' or give us a call if you are every in our area" that is NOT an invite. It really bugs me, as I see it ALL the time.
I inquire sometimes out of curiosity, oh these are friends of the family, etc? NO we don;t even know them and they invited us to stay with them. Hm, right.
So sometimes when I see the exchange later on I wonder if they are getting JUNK MAIL or JUNK GUESTS. !!
I have guests who stay here who are involved in this or that and whatdoyaknow I am now on their mailing list! Happens constantly, so I am careful how much interest I show toward any of those type discussions. It sucks!
Joe Bloggs said:
Oh! And what about the ones who try to sell you whatever their homebased business is?!?!?! I can't tell you how often I get guests on their way out giving me catalogues for cleaning products, candles, insurance, etc. Just last week I had one trying to sell me on her desktop publishing business...handed me her brochure and card. The irony was, I could have done it better myself!

ANOTHER REASON PEOPLE WILL NOT STAY AT BnB'S!!!! I can't blame them, really I can't. I am sneaking around behind my doors to not have to talk..
I have to agree with you here. This is one reason why we have actually cut back going to B & B's. THere are a few friends I will stay with:) But for the most part when we travel now, we will pick a hotel or a private cottage. I want my privacy and do not want to have to sit with people and converse ...or in this case...listen about someone else's life:-( If I were at the table and this happened, I would just say "oops..we've got to get going...see ya..." and LEAVE.
Aside from the post election heated exchange last Fall at the breakfast table, we just don't get much of this here. I can't even remember the last time that someone just totally dominated the conversation unless it was in a group of people where everyone knew each other :) Letting people pick their breakfast time helps.

BD's first time reminded me of the story of my friend. She had booked stays at 2 different B & Bs. The first one was more motel than B & B and absolutely horrible. That would have been it for B & Bs BUT they were booked the next night at another B & B. It was everything the first one was not! Even her husband enjoyed it.
Then she announced to him that she wanted to do B & B at their house. He went along with it because she said if it doen't work out, it is still our house.
First guests arrive while he is at work. They have 2 rooms with shared bath (not them share). He comes home, goes into their room and come back out just as a teen-age girl emerges from the bathroom in bra & panties and a towel wrapped around her head. He says hello, she says hello and he walks into the kitchen and says to his wife, "I think I am going to like this business." They are still a B &B 10 years later.

Back