First time for this!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Well here is a new one that I would like some input on. We had a couple stop by and decided to stay with us for one night tonight. They have been here for 6 hours and have taking a bath and messed up the room and used towels and so on. I just received a phone call from them. The lady told me they needed to check out because she wasn't sure if her brother in-law was going to make it through the night. What would you do in this case?

Sorry, they used the room, I would charge them. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't expect to pay. Did they ask for their money back?

Give them your sympathies, invite them back when things have settled, hand them the bill. ( you might want to discount the bill if there was no breakfast served)
BBBBob

Our policies clearly state that we do not refund for early departures. I would charge them.
With that said, this summer we had an impending hurricaine and wanted our guests to leave a couple of days early so they would get home and so we could prepare for the storm. We offered to refund them one night. They all left 2 days early, paying for one night and receiving a refund from us for one night. They were all very happy. I know that your situation is a bit different but I would certainly not sacrifice your entire fee. I know someone who checked into a B+B, stayed an hour, decided that she didn't like it and used the "sick relative" excuse to leave abruptly. Charge them.

We had a "once you have checked in" no refund policy. Now there were a few times, we forgot about it as we knew the folks, or we gave them a credit for a stay another time. As I said earlier, your place is too big to be nickeling and diming your self to death. Charge them!

They broke it, they bought it. If they had merely stopped in, taken the room and left to go sightseeing I probably would have refunded them. But, they stayed, enjoyed themselves and now they can pay for their pleasure.

Sorry, they used the room, I would charge them. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't expect to pay. Did they ask for their money back?.
Breakfast Diva said:
Sorry, they used the room, I would charge them. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't expect to pay. Did they ask for their money back?
We had a couple leave in the middle of the afternoon on their second day due to the death of a family friend and they did not expect to have to pay for the night they didn't use. Even tho the room then needed to be completely stripped and recleaned.

They bought it, they pay for it. Do you think a hotel would not charge them?????
RIki

If it is truly a sick relative, they will not bother to argue. If they are trying to skip out, then you will see the discussion start as to why you are charging them. My opinion.

I hope you charged them. They used the services. It is like going to a restraunt, eating the meal plus dessert and then not expecting to pay for it because the meat was over-done. CHARFE THEM!!!

Did they ask for a refund or no charge or were they being polite and letting you know?
Business as usual, services rendered.

According to your OP, they didn't say that they weren't expecting to pay...why offer?
They needed to 'check out'. 'Nuf said.

I agree, charge. The room was used and the services rendered. Hand them a coupon for 10% for the next visit and give them some sympathy and maybe a bag for the road so they won't go hungry.

I agree, charge. The room was used and the services rendered. Hand them a coupon for 10% for the next visit and give them some sympathy and maybe a bag for the road so they won't go hungry..
A nice touch, Eric. This is another reason to collect payment in full before handing over the key.

Charge them-i know im a little late for it but they stayed and they used, sorry about the brother in law-you can give them a gift certificate to come back or a discount, but they did stay and use your services and left a mess...nough said.

It falls under the cancellation policy. You have reserved the room for "THEM" and could not rebook it.

With walk ins, I always show them the room before commitment, then if agreed payment is made up front. Our policy is no refunds after check in, so once they committed they bought the use for the night, makes no difference if it is an hour or until check out.

It's written, & I now state AT CHECKIN, "You've paid in full at checkin & we are unable to refund if you decide to leave early." Period.

Back