First Trip To Maine - Off Topic

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherry64

Reaction score
I will be heading to Maine the last week of May and will be staying up by Jonesport. Do any of you Mainers (or people who have been to Maine) have suggestions on what I should do/see while I am up there? I want to know the "can't miss" sites and stops. I am super exicted as I have often though of living in Maine.
Thanks.
teeth_smile.gif

Are you driving? From where? If you are headed up Rt 1, be sure to stop at the Penobscot Narrows Bridge & Observatory. For a really cheap price you can go up in the bridge tower (the only one in the Eastern Hemisphere that allows visitors). You can also head to Campobello Island.
Where are you staying?

You can't drive up Rt 1 and not stop in Freeport. LL Bean...need I say more????!!! Look up one of the Inn-mates while up there.
When we go up there, we love to go out Rt 24 towards Bailey Island, Orr's Island, and Land's End.
We love it up there, too. My dh's family lives WAY north of that area, but he was born and raised in Maine. It's been on our top 5 list of places we would buy a B&B.

I like the prison shop in Thomaston. Beautiful woodwork......
gillumhouse said:
I like the prison shop in Thomaston. Beautiful woodwork.....
Just drove past the one in York and it has an old 'wagon' outside (like the PT Cruiser, ha, ha) with 'Shawshank Prison' painted on the side. So, also doing a tour of Stephen King's book locations would be fun.

You can't drive up Rt 1 and not stop in Freeport. LL Bean...need I say more????!!! Look up one of the Inn-mates while up there.
When we go up there, we love to go out Rt 24 towards Bailey Island, Orr's Island, and Land's End.
We love it up there, too. My dh's family lives WAY north of that area, but he was born and raised in Maine. It's been on our top 5 list of places we would buy a B&B..
And if she does stop here, I can give her the Lighthouse Tour Guide book. That's good for a couple of DAYS' worth of things to do!
Searsport is great for books and antiquing. I think there are more bookstores per sq mile there than anywhere else I've ever been. (Short of Portland, OR, but that's all ONE bookstore.)

gillumhouse said:
Just drove past the one in York and it has an old 'wagon' outside (like the PT Cruiser, ha, ha) with 'Shawshank Prison' painted on the side. So, also doing a tour of Stephen King's book locations would be fun.
The gates and iron work around his house in Bangor are the coolest.

gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
There's a whole tour in the summer...The Tommyknockers Tour...a guided bus trip to see some of the locations in the books.

Are you driving? From where? If you are headed up Rt 1, be sure to stop at the Penobscot Narrows Bridge & Observatory. For a really cheap price you can go up in the bridge tower (the only one in the Eastern Hemisphere that allows visitors). You can also head to Campobello Island.
Where are you staying?.
Bree said:
Where are you staying?
We are driving from MI. We will be coming up the coast from MA, I believe. We rented a cottage right on the ocean for a really good deal just outside of Jonesport.

Will you be taking any day trips out and about while you are there? If you do, you could go to Mount Katahdin in MIllinocket. It's the highest point in the east. I believe you can climb it. Takes about a day up and back. My dh did it many times while he was growing up. There is also the option for lobster boat rides. Oooohhh, makes me want to go back up there again this year!

If your DH is in to woodworking....a stop at the Lie-Nielsen shop in Warren ME (the shop is right on rt 1) is a cool place to visit....though rest assured these tools are expensive and there are no "great deals" to be had in the shop. ANd of course after ogeling the cool new tools there, a visit to the Hulls Cove Toolbarn is more rewarding where you can find usedold tools at good prices. Sadly that one is a little off the beaten path unless you are headed to Bar Harbor (it is 14 miles off of Rt1) If nobody on the trip is into woodworking...then don't stop either place ;)

If your DH is in to woodworking....a stop at the Lie-Nielsen shop in Warren ME (the shop is right on rt 1) is a cool place to visit....though rest assured these tools are expensive and there are no "great deals" to be had in the shop. ANd of course after ogeling the cool new tools there, a visit to the Hulls Cove Toolbarn is more rewarding where you can find usedold tools at good prices. Sadly that one is a little off the beaten path unless you are headed to Bar Harbor (it is 14 miles off of Rt1) If nobody on the trip is into woodworking...then don't stop either place ;).
Ditto Liberty Tool Co in Liberty. REALLY off the beaten track, unless part of the trip is up 95 to Augusta and then across on Rt 3.

If your DH is in to woodworking....a stop at the Lie-Nielsen shop in Warren ME (the shop is right on rt 1) is a cool place to visit....though rest assured these tools are expensive and there are no "great deals" to be had in the shop. ANd of course after ogeling the cool new tools there, a visit to the Hulls Cove Toolbarn is more rewarding where you can find usedold tools at good prices. Sadly that one is a little off the beaten path unless you are headed to Bar Harbor (it is 14 miles off of Rt1) If nobody on the trip is into woodworking...then don't stop either place ;).
Ditto Liberty Tool Co in Liberty. REALLY off the beaten track, unless part of the trip is up 95 to Augusta and then across on Rt 3.
Bree said:
That place looks like fun Droooool :)

Bree said:
My husband would agree. He would spend hours there!

gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
It may have been set there, but it was filmed here!

Bree said:
swirt said:
Bree said:
Even I want to go there! Old tools are the best.

Will you be taking any day trips out and about while you are there? If you do, you could go to Mount Katahdin in MIllinocket. It's the highest point in the east. I believe you can climb it. Takes about a day up and back. My dh did it many times while he was growing up. There is also the option for lobster boat rides. Oooohhh, makes me want to go back up there again this year!.
If I ever have money again, a week on the Lewis R French (2-masted schooner based in Camden) will be on my horizon.....

Thanks for the suggestions.
regular_smile.gif

There is much I could do while we are there! I can't hardly wait!
Thanks again

Back