First Webervations Reject

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I guess it had to happen eventually. I posted on my web site that Mou ntai nFe st was a 2-night minimum. NEVER thought about the Webervations (actually do not know how to set up a 2-night except as a bookable pkg - which I did just now) and some one booked my best room for 1 night - Friday and to top it off needs gluten-free.
I called her before I did the reject and explained it was on my web site as a 2-night. She told mne that she spent a lot of time online looking for a reservation but they were all 2-night minimum until this one. I again apologized for the inconvenience and said we would be happy to take the reservation if she would like to extend to Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday. She got pissy telling me that was very bad business practices.
I sent a specialized reject response via Webervations. Here is her reply to my e-mail. I did the bold.
When I screw up in MY business, I honor the screw up even when its not in my best financial interests - which, by the way, is usually the case. But I do it so people don't say to me what I am about to say to you. I will NEVER stay at your bed and breakfast and I will never recommend it to anyone I know.
This is a 4-day event. It was posted on my web site as a 2-night minimum. I do
apologize for not being able to figure out how to fix that on the online
reservations until a kind friend helped me today. I apologize for the
inconvenience. I would have been happy to accommodate your dietary needs with a
2-night stay for this event. If you find you can book for the 2-night minimum
please let us know. A gluten-free breakfast is available here.
My feeling is that I do not want her or her friends as guests. I am not about to screw up a possible 3-night (last year it was a 4-night for the whole house) for one night that is going to cost me big-time just to do her diet. I did not respond to her e-mail.

You did the right thing. She did a reservation "request" and it is just that. She's requesting to stay with you. In my opinion you had no obligation to accept that request when you have it on your website that there is a 2 night minimum. Now that you know how to change the webervations settings, it won't happen to you again.
With her attitude, feel lucky that she's not staying!

You did the right thing. She did a reservation "request" and it is just that. She's requesting to stay with you. In my opinion you had no obligation to accept that request when you have it on your website that there is a 2 night minimum. Now that you know how to change the webervations settings, it won't happen to you again.
With her attitude, feel lucky that she's not staying!.
Still do not kow how to just do it to it. I will just make it a bookable package because that I do know how to do. I also put in the bookable package that no other specials or offers are valid for this event.
I wonder what kind of business she is in that she thinks it is OK to do someone out of that much money. It certainly would not make an innkeeper very happy to be making a gluten-free breakfast knowing it also cost the loss of one or two nights of revenue to do it. By her statement that "everyone esle had a 2-night minimum" she KNEW what she was doing.
Would you travel from NC to WV for 1 night? That is a long motorcycle ride at the end of the Saturday festivities. They bring in BIG NAME entertainers!

it is too bad.
sad_smile.gif

she is reacting with anger because she is disappointed. the strike-back weapons are to say i won't ever stay with you and i won't recommend you to anyone. unless and until she finds other accommodations, she may not let this go.
you feel bad because there was a mixup and you are a nice accommodating person .... but your instincts tell you that you must have the restrictions in place for that event and that you will lose $$ if you make this exception.
my advice: do not respond again. you're not changing your mind and it won't help.
sorry ... i always want to please, too.

PS You can knock back any booking you feel like, you hold the reigns. If you say "I changed my mind, now it is a 2 night min" then sobeit. Your place your rules.

K I know you have a reservation request, it is not confirmed until the innkeeper says so!
Was this always there or did you change it today:
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']We make a reasonable effort to keep our availability up to date but the availability display may have changed since we last updated.[/FONT]
To make a reservation request, click on the Room of your choice listed below. This will take you to an online form where you will be asked to enter your name and address, how we may contact you, and any special requirements for your visit.
The main thing is that anyone who is that wicked does not deserve to stay in a B&B. No worries!

gillumhouse said:
I will NEVER stay at your bed and breakfast and I will never recommend it to anyone I know.

This is a no win for you. She is pissed/disappointed for and for whatever reason cannot be there for 2 nights. ($hit happens to quote Forest Gump) You responded in a timely manner. You have plenty of time till July for other bookings. Even if she does call back I think I would be unable to accommodate. I can only see grief coming of this slight error.

BBBBoB

K I know you have a reservation request, it is not confirmed until the innkeeper says so!
Was this always there or did you change it today:
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']We make a reasonable effort to keep our availability up to date but the availability display may have changed since we last updated.[/FONT]
To make a reservation request, click on the Room of your choice listed below. This will take you to an online form where you will be asked to enter your name and address, how we may contact you, and any special requirements for your visit.
The main thing is that anyone who is that wicked does not deserve to stay in a B&B. No worries!.
That is what I did in the very beginning. The only change I made today was to make the EVENT a bookable package so i could get it as a 2-night minimum. There is no way I was going to let her screw me up. We figure she is some one in that group of a certain brand of bikers that is more cult and image than anything - the pie plate helmet crowd. The last time one of them booked here I got screwed $$$! No way thins time.

Let this leave your head. You responded in a very timely manor to her request and you did have this noted on your website. She is not B&B material and will hopefully never stay with any of us!

Still do not kow how to just do it to it. I will just make it a bookable package because that I do know how to do. I also put in the bookable package that no other specials or offers are valid for this event.
I wonder what kind of business she is in that she thinks it is OK to do someone out of that much money. It certainly would not make an innkeeper very happy to be making a gluten-free breakfast knowing it also cost the loss of one or two nights of revenue to do it. By her statement that "everyone esle had a 2-night minimum" she KNEW what she was doing.
Would you travel from NC to WV for 1 night? That is a long motorcycle ride at the end of the Saturday festivities. They bring in BIG NAME entertainers!
Kathleen, here are the directions to create 2 night minimums without having to do a bookable package:
click on availability/rates, update rates, make sure you're in the right month, then click on the date (the actual number on the calendar), choose the room (do each one separately), then in the line where it says "minimum stay thru", make it a 2 (for 2 night minimum). Make sure that both the Friday AND Saturday is changed to say 2. Click save. and now you have a 2 night minimum on those nights.

She's a jerk.
It's a request.
You don't want her.
Stick to your guns.
And pat yourself on the back when your full house of wonderful guests takes her place!
=)
Kk.
P.S. I could never go from NC to WV for one night... it would break the Kathy Rule of Travel which is: you have to stay at a place at least a little longer than however long it takes to get to and from that place. (And sleeping hours don't count.) So if the party is an hour drive each way, we have to stay at the party more than two hours...

Like everyone says, you have the right to refuse the request. Don't pay attention to her one more second. Since everyone else told her two night minimum, she knew stinkin' well that she caught someone who had not updated.
Forget about her!
RIki

I use a service similar to webreservations called guest link and they send me a request and I confirm or deny as appropriate. The important thing to remember is it is ONLY A REQUEST its the same as her ringing up to ask and you telling her you have a min policy. I always say you can ask what you like it doesn't mean you are going to get it. Plus if you can get people in for 4 nights as this is clearly a busy time I would consider making it a 3 night mimimum. Plus you don't want people like that what a horrible woman.

Back