fixing toilet leaks saved me a bundle

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen

Reaction score
A few months ago I posted a whine about my huge (and growing huger) water bill. Well, we decided to test the toilets for leaks and were horrified to find that six of my eight toilets were leaking.
After we replaced the flappers, my water bill dropped 60%.
I'm sharing this sad tale (with a happy ending) to recommend that you test your toilets. Take the lid off the tank and put a few drops of food coloring in it. Replace the lid and go away for 30 minutes. When you come back, if the water in the bowl is colored, then you have a leak and could be wasting thousands of gallons like I was.
Helpful article: www.toiletology.com/leaking.shtml
Karen

Glad you found such an easy fix, even if it took longer than necessary! We had the same thing here except guests let us know fairly quickly because they could hear the water refilling. It took us less than a day to have everything back in order again. And, yes, quite a lot of savings as our sewer bill is based on the amount of water we use, so double savings.

Good tip to check the flapper. Also, a good idea to see if you have the most efficient flush valve kits in the tanks. One of the first things we did was replace the old, rusty valve kits in our second house.
Also, check to make sure that the valve is shutting off properly when it's used often. We had one toilet that seemed to be fine when we cleaned it, but for some reason it would stick with repeated flushing. (Guests seem to do things that we don't....)

We installed the "pressure assist" toilets that don't use a flapper valve. They cost a little more initially, but they'll save you money in the long run not only with water savings but from guest who use a full roll of tp per sitting and stop the thing up.

Now go to your City and ask if there is a leak discount. Do not laugh, folks. I am serious. Tell them you found a leaking toilrt, actually 6 of them. there is a leak discount in my city. (one time discount)

we are putting in (gradually) new toilets with the duel flush (ie small for wee large for solids) so will use less water though our bill isnt bad it will all help.Bought two yesterday! looked like a nutter in the hardwear shop!

We recently changed all of our toliets to the duel flush and we are very pleased with the results. The original water saving toliets only caused more water usage by having to flush twice and pains with blockages.
BTW, as SWIRT pointed out in an old thread, you can buy the duel flush parts to replace your flappers. They work best in older toliets instead of the old water savers, but they do work and are far superior to flapper syle with leakage. You can by them at Home Depot.

Back