flat screen internet ready tv

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NW Natterbug

Reaction score
For those who have, or are planning on TVs in the rooms: We are installing one internet-ready TV in our new vacation rental apt. We are in a rural area, but have Wifi. We are hoping guests can access their own favorite eye candy, such as Neflix etc.... with this option. Anyone have experience?

I wonder if you could offer a house netflix? $8/month is pretty cheap for it.

Nat - great idea, you can add that in your amenites for a relaxing evening.
Todd - it would be nice but you would have to constantly change your password so they don't access YOUR account when they get back home... I think Netflex would get a flag warning of multiple downloads running at the same time to one account.
Off topic - just noticing the google ad on the left for Com-fort inns & suites, guess they have flat screen in their paid keywords.

You say you live in a rural area, but have wi-fi. Do you have DSL? Cable? Satelite?
I'm in the NW in a rural area also, but the only thing I can get is Satelite and they limit our bandwith usage so much that we don't have enough to stream movies. We're paying $90 a month for just satelite internet and really have our hands tied. We only get 2 gigs per week download.

I would check the agreement, pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to use it in a commercial setting unless the guest was using their own account? (I think you would be required to have THREE netflix boxes if you wanted it in three rooms, so you would pay for three accounts or they would be paying for the service like on a laptop. You can only have one box connected to one person which would be your PC and your TV.)
Interesting concept.
You would need a fast connection 3 meg to stream videos for one room, I think Netflix recommends 5 meg. So you would need however many rooms times 3 meg to stream movies. ie 3 rooms x 3 meg = 9 meg - plus your own needs.

You could do XBMC, Boxee or Tversity with a server without having to worry about using or paying for NetFlix.
Or if you want to go cheaper and not bother with the server, you can simply by Media Players on eBay for about $23 a TV and a USB powered HD is maybe $30 to $50. Or I see the ones that take a 2.5" laptop drive from under $40 and a 160GB hard drive for $45 online. Don't want to go to eBay, NewEgg has this one... goo.gl/fOYVU

We have *not* done this, but have really thought hard about it. What held us back was that we wanted to offer DVD players in rooms and did NOT want to put a component on a shelf or piece of furniture, and at the time, we could not find Flat panel TVs that both had built in DVD players and the internet capability.
*We* use it (internet streaming) all the time. In fact, if it weren't for the BnB guests (and a few sporting events LOL), we would ditch the satellite altogether.
I am curious to hear how you feel it works out.
BTW - I sort of inquired with Netflix about this (it wasn't about the BnB, but similar situation) - you can stream up to three selections at once to three different devices (TV, computer, whatever) at the same time on one account. I expect they are not thinking people will use this in BnBs. Something to consider: People will be accessing "your" queue. Our previous device did not allow us to alter the queue from the device, we had to go to the computer. Our current device will. So...if you were making your account available to guests, either you'd need to pack your queue full of an eclectic list of movies (perhaps crowding out what you want to find quickly), or you might find things you didn't really want to watch (that they added, if your device permits it), AND...if you are in the middle of watching a series, and they watch the next episode...Netflix will mark it "watched" (DH and I have been watcing series, esp from BBC, one episode after another - this would mess us up!).
The deviced we have used (wii and some sort of Blue-Ray player...DH's domain, not main) do not store the password. They have to be activated using a (separate) computer access to one's account. So no guest would be able to access our account profile/information after using our Netflix access. But I don't know if that's so with all devices.
I will say, I know we have had guests who have opted, rather than watch TV in the living room or watch a DVD to stream video (usually a TV episode they missed and were catching up on) on their computer. We have dsl, very rural but still in town such as it is, and no problems whatsoever. FWIW, at the time, we had the slowest speed available (we've increased that for our own purposes).

We have *not* done this, but have really thought hard about it. What held us back was that we wanted to offer DVD players in rooms and did NOT want to put a component on a shelf or piece of furniture, and at the time, we could not find Flat panel TVs that both had built in DVD players and the internet capability.
*We* use it (internet streaming) all the time. In fact, if it weren't for the BnB guests (and a few sporting events LOL), we would ditch the satellite altogether.
BTW - I sort of inquired with Netflix about this (it wasn't about the BnB, but similar situation) - you can stream up to three selections at once to three different devices (TV, computer, whatever) at the same time on one account. I expect they are not thinking people will use this in BnBs. Something to consider: People will be accessing "your" queue. Our previous device did not allow us to alter the queue from the device, we had to go to the computer. Our current device will. So...if you were making your account available to guests, either you'd need to pack your queue full of an eclectic list of movies (perhaps crowding out what you want to find quickly), or you might find things you didn't really want to watch (that they added, if your device permits it), AND...if you are in the middle of watching a series, and they watch the next episode...Netflix will mark it "watched" (DH and I have been watcing series, esp from BBC, one episode after another - this would mess us up!).
The deviced we have used (wii and some sort of Blue-Ray player...DH's domain, not main) do not store the password. They have to be activated using a (separate) computer access to one's account. So no guest would be able to access our account profile/information after using our Netflix access. But I don't know if that's so with all devices.
I will say, I know we have had guests who have opted, rather than watch TV in the living room or watch a DVD to stream video (usually a TV episode they missed and were catching up on) on their computer. We have dsl, very rural but still in town such as it is, and no problems whatsoever. FWIW, at the time, we had the slowest speed available (we've increased that for our own purposes)..
We bought these...
dvs450h-lg-dvd-player-mount.jpg
but I don't know if LG still makes them. But they also work as a media player (not for streaming) so we have small HD attached to them.
Samsung makes these units that are wall mountable as well.
1245007244.usr10.jpg
and they currently have a BluRay player that is wall mountable at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752665-REG/Samsung_BD_D7500_BD_D7500_Blu_ray_Disc_Player.html

All good suggestions. What I was really looking for...is it the coming thing for people to be able to access their own favortes, YouTube, Netflix or whatever, by using the hotel wifi on the internet ready TV in the room, and just plugging in their own account password, just as now they would put in their own passwords at the B&B to check their email, their bank balance, or what-have-you. Would an internet-ready TV fit that bill, or are we just not there yet?

I will say, I know we have had guests who have opted, rather than watch TV in the living room or watch a DVD to stream video (usually a TV episode they missed and were catching up on) on their computer. We have dsl, very rural but still in town such as it is, and no problems whatsoever. FWIW, at the time, we had the slowest speed available (we've increased that for our own purposes)..
Jill, I think we're on the same page with this. We chose not to have satellite or cable, and no one has ever asked. But they do love their wifi, and we ourselves probably have viewing habits similar to yours. I've become an old-British-series-on-Netflix addict this past winter. Some mention catching up on the news before they go to sleep would be nice.
Good to know that up to three devices can access different Neflix offerings. Since we have just the two rooms, and now the vacation rental apt, this might do the trick in the short run.

All good suggestions. What I was really looking for...is it the coming thing for people to be able to access their own favortes, YouTube, Netflix or whatever, by using the hotel wifi on the internet ready TV in the room, and just plugging in their own account password, just as now they would put in their own passwords at the B&B to check their email, their bank balance, or what-have-you. Would an internet-ready TV fit that bill, or are we just not there yet?.
NW Natterbug said:
All good suggestions. What I was really looking for...is it the coming thing for people to be able to access their own favortes, YouTube, Netflix or whatever, by using the hotel wifi on the internet ready TV in the room, and just plugging in their own account password, just as now they would put in their own passwords at the B&B to check their email, their bank balance, or what-have-you. Would an internet-ready TV fit that bill, or are we just not there yet?
They already do that on their iPhones and iPads and laptops which they bring with them when they visit you and I.

All good suggestions. What I was really looking for...is it the coming thing for people to be able to access their own favortes, YouTube, Netflix or whatever, by using the hotel wifi on the internet ready TV in the room, and just plugging in their own account password, just as now they would put in their own passwords at the B&B to check their email, their bank balance, or what-have-you. Would an internet-ready TV fit that bill, or are we just not there yet?.
The Internet TVs are set to keep your passwords. You would need to reset it all the time.

A Netflix account allows for 5 devices running at the same time. But I would think twice before you do that, for several reasons.
1) Netflix takes up a lot of bandwidth. 5 devices streaming netflix is going to slow down your network severly.
2) If you make one account, Netflix stores what movies you have seen last, and recommends based on your usage. Your guests are going to be able to see what your other guests recently watched...and some of those movies may be a little....well...you know.
Americans have access to HULU though...it's almost worth the hassle (I wish we Canadians could access it!)

Thanks so much for all the input. We decided to buy three internet ready TVs. They are now set up to receive Neflix. We've tried running all at once. So far, no problems.
As always, thanks for your collective wisdom. The simplest solution is so often the best!
Our new vacation apartment will have its first guest on Saturday. Just a few more details to go.....

Back