FLATWARE

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtatoc

Reaction score
Do you love your flatware? If so, please let me know what you are using. I have been using Towle Antique Beaded 18/10 for 3 years. Only hand wash and dry. But within a short time, I noticed scratches, and "rubs". Thinking about replacing them....

If I brought home 'hand wash and dry' flatware, I would be shot on sight. If it can't go in the dishwasher, we do not use it.
That said, the latest silverware purchased last Jan is from Reed & Barton. I can't find the pattern online, it may be retired and I don't remember the name.
I will say that it is just a matter of time before this is beat up, too. If the flatware touches in the dry cycle we get 'rust' marks on it. These can be removed by rubbing with a little olive oil, but we really don't have the time for that. So, we do 2 loads of dishes now on busy days.
When we bought it we explained our ongoing problem with the rust and the saleswoman told us about the olive oil. Of course, that didn't solve the problem with the scratches. She did mention that if scratching is an issue don't get the matte finish because that scratches, too and it looks worse.
I think I now have 4 sets of old flatware floating around here somewhere. All of them 'retired' because of the scratches and rust.

If I brought home 'hand wash and dry' flatware, I would be shot on sight. If it can't go in the dishwasher, we do not use it.
That said, the latest silverware purchased last Jan is from Reed & Barton. I can't find the pattern online, it may be retired and I don't remember the name.
I will say that it is just a matter of time before this is beat up, too. If the flatware touches in the dry cycle we get 'rust' marks on it. These can be removed by rubbing with a little olive oil, but we really don't have the time for that. So, we do 2 loads of dishes now on busy days.
When we bought it we explained our ongoing problem with the rust and the saleswoman told us about the olive oil. Of course, that didn't solve the problem with the scratches. She did mention that if scratching is an issue don't get the matte finish because that scratches, too and it looks worse.
I think I now have 4 sets of old flatware floating around here somewhere. All of them 'retired' because of the scratches and rust..
You aren't going to believe this! We don't have a dishwasher....I'm the washer and DH is the dryer. So handwashing the flatware isn't a problem....

I think I now have 4 sets of old flatware floating around here somewhere. All of them 'retired' because of the scratches and rust..
You aren't going to believe this! We don't have a dishwasher....I'm the washer and DH is the dryer. So handwashing the flatware isn't a problem....
You're right, I can't believe it. Then again, your max occupancy is 4 (6 if you count yourselves). We have to put everything in the dishwasher, it's a health req. I have to keep telling guests that when they try to 'help' by washing their coffee cups at night.

We bought stainless steel from Ikea and its fab! still struggling with plates that don't mark up real quick.

I bought silverplate on eB ay in the Que en Be ss pattern because it is what my Mom had. Discovered there were 2 differnt ones of that name - 1921 and 1946. I now have both. Actually there was another but I do not know the year - I have it also. I culled the best pieces, kept 2 of the silver chests and put the rest in the third chest and gave to the rummage sale. I just have to keep polishing it. I have enough that I only have to do it a couple times a year and can use a different set each morning for a 2-nighter. ALL of my stainless serving spoons are dark from serving the egg dishes. I recently bought some cheap but pretty spoons to use for the egg bakes when in casseroles. Eggs are what make the fork tines turn and require polishing.
DH is the dish washer here.

You're right, I can't believe it. Then again, your max occupancy is 4 (6 if you count yourselves). We have to put everything in the dishwasher, it's a health req. I have to keep telling guests that when they try to 'help' by washing their coffee cups at night.
I have two dishwashers. Unfortunately they leave for college soon.

its required we wash everything in the dishwasher so thats that.

dansk 18/10 bistro pattern (Heavy, plain and flat with know sharp edges- except the knife
wink_smile.gif
)

Back