Flavored coffees - YOU flavor it

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i just love flavored coffee ... but not the price.
i do this for my self/family ... and did it at the inn. you might like to try it.
i am especially partial to hazelnut coffee so i got some hazelnut extract and i add about 3/4 tsp to 10 cups of coffee (little cups, not the giant size i love)
at the inn, i would have regular and decaf and then i'd have the 'flavor of the day' and a sign hazelnut, almond, peppermint, cinammon , chocolate ... with little cups beside it 'to sample' if folks really liked it, i'd make more. if it was really well received, then i'd offer it for a while.. during blueberry time, i did have blueberry coffee but it was purchased flavored. the only flavoring i could find had splenda in it which i wouldn't serve without telling.
for peppermint, i have the extracts and i'd put peppermints in a little bowl beside it, cinammon sticks if i did cinammon, so they'd know exactly what was in there and for fun. for chocolate, i actually just put some flaked semisweet chocolate into the coffee and some in a little shaker with spout ike the old fashioned sugar pourer glass with metal top.
do not add too much if you use extract. a little is best. i tried making a stronger flavored coffee but adding more and you might just taste a sortof alcohol flavor instead of what you are aiming for. you have to experiment with proportions.

Are you suggesting this for something to serve to guests? Many of our guests detest flavored coffees or even the flavored creamers.
We got tickled at one young man the other morning when he said, "I like my coffee the same way I like my women............bitter!"

Before I started roasting coffees, I offered my guests flavored coffees - they got to choose the flavor. For chocolate mint (perking pots only - mr cof fee-type will overflow) I would take a few mint leaves from the herb garden and grind them with the coffee beans and then add a blootch of chocolate syrup I got from Eur o-Ca fe) not hersh although I did use cocoa also (Tblsp). For chocolate raspberry used the choc syrup or cocoa and about a tsp of raspbery syrup. Almond flavoring, hazelnut syrup, 1/ tsp cinnamon, tsp of vanilla - all made nice coffee. All were put in the basket at perk. Now however I will not consider flavoring my fresh-roasted. Need to try to tell the differences in countries.

That's a great idea SS. If we did a breakfast in a dining area, I would definitely give your method a try. What a great and thoughtful innkeeper you were. Wish you were in the PNW, I'd hire you in a New York minute!

Are you suggesting this for something to serve to guests? Many of our guests detest flavored coffees or even the flavored creamers.
We got tickled at one young man the other morning when he said, "I like my coffee the same way I like my women............bitter!".
Proud Texan said:
We got tickled at one young man the other morning when he said, "I like my coffee the same way I like my women............bitter!"
PT ... of course i'm suggesting it.
not as in handing a mug of chocolate almond coffee to some guy saying ''here you go mr macho cowboy'' when he's expecting black, high-test BITTER joe.
as an offering ... labelled ... like in my original post.
my place was in the town of Notmuchhappenshere and i had to create a little buzz (buzz, get it?)
i like my coffee sweet and sometimes surprising ... like ME
wink_smile.gif

I noticed in my local cash&Carry that they sell bottled syrup for coffees. I bought a hazelnut and a gingerbread. Not for coffees but as an addition to porridge, it's really popular.

Excellent! Can you recommend a brand/source for hazelnut extract? I love hazelnut coffee but when I've ordered hazelnut flavored beans they pretty much just taste like regular coffee (not that there's anything wrong with that). Just not enough hazelnut.
Being able to flavor it to personal taste would be wonderful!

I think this is a wonderful idea if you have coffee available 24/7 and don't have a single serve coffee maker. I would LOVE this as a guest if it was offered in the evening...in decaf for me. Great idea!!

i like flavorings from silvercloudestates.com
you have 2 choices for hazelnut ... the imitation hazelnut extract or the natural french vanilla that contains hazelnut ... i don't know why they don't have natural hazelnut but both taste really good.
the flavorings are expensive ... but strong ... so, if you buy them, use sparingly to get an idea of how much you wnat.
this site has every extract i would want ... blueberry, carmel, creme de menthe, pistachio, chocolate, toffee ... and some i've never tried (yet) like champagne. they also sell sea salts and other flavorings
you can purchase from them directly.

Back