Flavoring Pancakes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Day

Reaction score
I'm sure this is nothing new....
How does adding flavoring to the pancake mix go over with guests?.......ie; vanilla, cherry, etc...

We serve a banana macadamia nut pancake which is a huge hit
RIki

Any of the fresh fruit additions, (banana, raspberry, blueberry) with or without nuts or mini chocolate chips to our from scratch buttermilk pancakes, always go over well here.

You mean actual flavors / extracts...or the fruits???? Blueberry pancakes have always gone well here. But we usually ask before we put the fruit in.

Yes extracts......
As someone mentioned...vanilla is about the only extract I would use in pancakes..otherwise...i think it would be off putting to say have "strawberry" flavor in them...just give them strawberries on top.

I like a little almond extract or lemon extract in my pancakes. With almond extract, you could add peaches or cherries to the top. With lemon, you could add a blueberry compote or a thinned-out lemon curd to the top.
I think my favorite is an autumn one: cinnamon in the pancakes. Top with a heated blend of syrup, the apples from an apple pie filling, and a splash of half-and-half. Yummy

This morning hubs did Cranberry pancakes...have a ton of cranberries that we need to use up. Most decidedly my new favorite pancake...guests are still sitting at the table raving about them! I was afraid would be bitter, but were just about right. Next time, might try diced apple with the cranberries. Will be perfect for fall.
Yum........

This morning hubs did Cranberry pancakes...have a ton of cranberries that we need to use up. Most decidedly my new favorite pancake...guests are still sitting at the table raving about them! I was afraid would be bitter, but were just about right. Next time, might try diced apple with the cranberries. Will be perfect for fall.
Yum.........
Little Blue said:
Yum........
Fresh cranberries? Interesting!!! Did he cook them in like a blueberry? I would love to try those. Maybe some orange zest on top?

Yum.........
Little Blue said:
Yum........
Fresh cranberries? Interesting!!! Did he cook them in like a blueberry? I would love to try those. Maybe some orange zest on top?
Actually, while I was at the Food Service Store, I bought a big bag of what I thought was frozen tart cherries (like I usually do for french toast and for syrups)...when I got home, turns out they were CRANBERRIES. But, he thawed them and just plopped them on the cooking pancake, just about four or five to each cake because they were pretty big.
In combination with the maple syrup.....Mmmmmmm.

Yum.........
Little Blue said:
Yum........
Actually, while I was at the Food Service Store, I bought a big bag of what I thought was frozen tart cherries (like I usually do for french toast and for syrups)...when I got home, turns out they were CRANBERRIES. But, he thawed them and just plopped them on the cooking pancake, just about four or five to each cake because they were pretty big.
Little Blue said:
I would think they would be very tart. Did he add extra sugar? I love cranberries and am always looking for new recipes that use them.

Yum.........
Little Blue said:
Yum........
Little Blue said:
I would think they would be very tart. Did he add extra sugar? I love cranberries and am always looking for new recipes that use them.
Cranberry oatmeal cookies. Same as the raisin kind but sub the cranberries. Also, there was a recipe for gorp in the PAII email newsletter and that used cranberries, too.
I dump them on top of my salad every night.

Yum.........
Little Blue said:
Yum........
Little Blue said:
Cranberry oatmeal cookies. Same as the raisin kind but sub the cranberries. Also, there was a recipe for gorp in the PAII email newsletter and that used cranberries, too.
are you talking fresh or dried cranberries??? Dried fine....fresh...pucker up:)

Yum.........
Little Blue said:
Yum........
Little Blue said:
Dried cranberries. I love them!

Yum.........
Little Blue said:
Yum........
Little Blue said:
Dried cranberries. I love them!
Yes, me too. I use them in salads during the winter months. Also in baking.

Yum.........
Little Blue said:
Yum........
Little Blue said:
No extra sugar....they were not horribly tart, and were awesome with the maple syrup.

Yum.........
I have a cranberry Triple Sec muffin that gets rave reviews. I can only get whole cranberries during the Holidays so buy them up and toss in freezer locker. When using them, I just sort them of course, and put them in the food processor on shred for a couple seconds. I bet they were be great added to the Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes. Will have to try that.

Back