Flax Seed Intolerance

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Harpie

Reaction score
Greetings folk;
I have never come across this one before and sure do need some advice. We have a couple coming for a 3-day Honeymoon and the groom is Flax seed (Flax products) intolerant. Ergo, he cannot eat eggs, as the chickens are normally fed with feed that contains flax. Most of our dishes, i.e Souffles, Pancakes, Waffles , Overnight French Toast etc. etc. are egg based.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Kindest regards
Harry and Carol

Well I think the simplest thing would be to ASK HIM..what does he eat normally for breakfast? Sounds like you will have to do lots of fruit.
How do we even know what the chickens are fed???? FOr that matter, what doesn't have some egg in it. Don't second guess on this one...just ask.

skillet potatoes with fresh veggies & cheese. Oatmeal, fruit, smoothies, grits, granola For vegans, I'll take some premade polenta (comes in a roll), fry it a little to get a crispy texture, then layer it in an individual dish with some herb tomato sauce, layer cheese (vegans get soy cheese) then bake. Simple, easy and he gets a special dish to himself.
Be sure to ask him if an egg or two in a baked pastry item is a problem. Usually it's ok. If not, look at the recipes on this site and there's a really good vegan pumpkin bread that everyone at the table will love.

skillet potatoes with fresh veggies & cheese. Oatmeal, fruit, smoothies, grits, granola For vegans, I'll take some premade polenta (comes in a roll), fry it a little to get a crispy texture, then layer it in an individual dish with some herb tomato sauce, layer cheese (vegans get soy cheese) then bake. Simple, easy and he gets a special dish to himself.
Be sure to ask him if an egg or two in a baked pastry item is a problem. Usually it's ok. If not, look at the recipes on this site and there's a really good vegan pumpkin bread that everyone at the table will love..
Take a look at this link . I would not assume anything. Looking through this info...flaxseed may not be the only issue. ASK HIM FIRST

I had a guest who could not eat eggs and with a full table I made him french toast anyway, and it was excellent. Instead of the bread mixture dipped toast, it was bread grilled lightly in butter, sprinkled in cinnamon and brown sugar. Then I topped it with fresh peaches and icing sugar, and he poured maple syrup over it and it was delicious. You almost didn't even notice the missing ingredient! He was thankful as he had always wanted french toast but couldn't eat it.
Just a suggestion. If you have others, they still get the egg mixture.

I agree, I think the safest thing is to ask him what he normally eats for breakfast.
FWIW, I have had success (at home, still aspiring here) using substitutes for eggs in quick breads, including waffles and pancakes. The easiest for me is: one tablespoon of soy flour (to replace the protein of the egg), one to two tablespoons of water (to replace the moisture of the egg) and an additional 1/4 tsp of baking powder (to replace the rise the egg provides during cooking). It takes a little practice, but the result is good.
Um - this substitute **won't** work for things like souffles, casseroles, bread pudding, etc, anything where you need a custard-y result.

I had a guest who could not eat eggs and with a full table I made him french toast anyway, and it was excellent. Instead of the bread mixture dipped toast, it was bread grilled lightly in butter, sprinkled in cinnamon and brown sugar. Then I topped it with fresh peaches and icing sugar, and he poured maple syrup over it and it was delicious. You almost didn't even notice the missing ingredient! He was thankful as he had always wanted french toast but couldn't eat it.
Just a suggestion. If you have others, they still get the egg mixture..
I made that suggestion to hubs last week ('grilled toast') and he refused flat out. Made me go back to the table and ask them what they could eat. I hate when he does that. And it turned out the egg 'allergy' was one of those 'don't like to look at eggs' allergies. I hate that, too.

Just a suggestion. If you have others, they still get the egg mixture..
I made that suggestion to hubs last week ('grilled toast') and he refused flat out. Made me go back to the table and ask them what they could eat. I hate when he does that. And it turned out the egg 'allergy' was one of those 'don't like to look at eggs' allergies. I hate that, too.
yes this is not an allergy...it is a dislike..not the same thing. If truly allergic to flax and maybe other seeds as well. I would not take the chance and guess at anything. So much easier to just ask them and be safe rather than sorry.

Back