Fluffs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowpondgj

Reaction score
What do you include in your fluff? What's the minimum one should include?
I'm thinking minimum:
Make bed
replace any wet towels that are not hung for re-use
empty trash
quick wipe of sink and toilet
replace any consumables: TP Tissue, soaps, etc.

Exactly what you wrote, and if it needs a quick vaccum I will do that. I don't clean sink, toilet, shower unless it looks like it needs it, or they are here more than one or two nights. Replace bath mat if wet or more than one night, replace chocolates.

We are on overdrive here because hubs doesn't want anything building up in the bathrooms...so,
  • Make bed (replace any soiled linens)
  • Empty trash in bathroom & bedroom
  • Realign blinds on windows, open/close windows
  • Adjust thermostat, A/C
  • Entirely clean bathroom (wash sinks, mirrors, shower, toilet, floor), replace toilet paper as needed, ditto amenities & soaking wet towels (they just won't dry overnight)
  • Vacuum bathroom & bedroom
What I don't do is dust unless there is an obvious spill that needs attention.

Also - Making bed I do what others would do at turn down. I put extra pillows and cover pillows in closet. These are usually laying around the room from the bed time.

We are on overdrive here because hubs doesn't want anything building up in the bathrooms...so,
  • Adjust thermostat, A/C
  • Entirely clean bathroom (wash sinks, mirrors, shower, toilet, floor), replace toilet paper as needed, ditto amenities & soaking wet towels (they just won't dry overnight)
What I don't do is dust unless there is an obvious spill that needs attention..
Bree said:
  • Adjust thermostat, A/C
As a guest, I set the temperature, blinds, curtains, etc. in a way that makes me comfortable. I would be really annoyed to find they had been changed after I had set them the way I wanted.

We replace sodas, waters and wine glasses. Make beds and empty trash. I straighten towels. Refill soaps and chocolate if need be. I wipe the sink and that's it, unless something obvious needs to be cleaned up. If the a/c is blasting I dial it down to a normal level. No reason for it to be on all day when they're out.
Riki

• Adjust thermostat, A/C
What I don't do is dust unless there is an obvious spill that needs attention..
Bree said:
  • Adjust thermostat, A/C
As a guest, I set the temperature, blinds, curtains, etc. in a way that makes me comfortable. I would be really annoyed to find they had been changed after I had set them the way I wanted.
As the innkeeper, I adjust it to save money. If you walked out of your room and 'mistakenly' left the heat on and the windows open and it's 35 degrees, I am not heating the outdoors so you can have your 'preferred' temperature when you return. Ditto leaving the blinds at odd angles that make my house look, from the outside, like a madwoman lives here. (From the inside, we already know she lives here.)
My take is that the guest can readjust whatever they want when they return 10 hours later. Including turning every blasted light in the room back on.
Unless you have mentioned you're allergic to fresh air, you're getting fresh air in the summer, you are not running the A/C 24x7.
What I won't do is put the blinds up if your luggage is piled in front of the window or I have to climb over anything to get to the windows. (Exception being the odd angles, those are getting fixed no matter what obstacles are in my way.) Yes, this an obsession. We used to have blinds on our 5 huge picture windows across the front of the house. When I came home from a walk one day, hubs had aligned those 5 blinds to look like steps from the street, one just a little lower than the other all the way across the 24' span. I laughed, but I knew he was picking on me.

I have the same theory on the turn down service. As nice as it is to come back to turn down, I don't want to turn a bunch of lights on and have them waste energy when I have no idea when the guest will return. I like turn down, but rarely do it here.
When I enter a room - lights all go off, ceiling fan goes off, bathroom fan goes off. If blinds are all shut it is because it was dark adn they had the lights on and blinds down. Now when I am in there it is daylight and there is lots ot see outside the windows.
Case in point - magnolia blooming outside this one room I just freshened. I am not leaving the blinds closed. They left early and just never opened them.
We have central a/c so I can't comment on that. But if you turn it off or down completely the guests stuff melt. I would have to leave it on a decent temp. I have to do that in the cottage, or the flowers will wilt in 35 seconds.

I do pretty much what the rest of you say you do. However, if I see guests will be returning after dark, I turn a light on in the suite. The suites have separate entrances. I was told by one guest that it makes the return much warmer and inviting instead of coming into a dark room and, I think, it may be good for liability purposes too.

I do pretty much what the rest of you say you do. However, if I see guests will be returning after dark, I turn a light on in the suite. The suites have separate entrances. I was told by one guest that it makes the return much warmer and inviting instead of coming into a dark room and, I think, it may be good for liability purposes too..
vancouverislander said:
... I think, it may be good for liability purposes too.
And with what Socks had happen a little while ago, I probably wouldn't be a bad idea...
Socks, have you heard any more from those guests? Did you take photos and document things?

I do pretty much what the rest of you say you do. However, if I see guests will be returning after dark, I turn a light on in the suite. The suites have separate entrances. I was told by one guest that it makes the return much warmer and inviting instead of coming into a dark room and, I think, it may be good for liability purposes too..
vancouverislander said:
I do pretty much what the rest of you say you do. However, if I see guests will be returning after dark, I turn a light on in the suite. The suites have separate entrances. I was told by one guest that it makes the return much warmer and inviting instead of coming into a dark room and, I think, it may be good for liability purposes too.
NIGHT LIGHTS BAYYYYYBEEEE!
Our rooms all have nightlights that are emergency lights, if the guest for some reason cannot find the light switch that is right inside the door. They are lit if the room is dark as they are on sensors.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

vancouverislander said:
... I think, it may be good for liability purposes too.
And with what Socks had happen a little while ago, I probably wouldn't be a bad idea...
Socks, have you heard any more from those guests? Did you take photos and document things?
As far as fluffs, I'm exactly like JBJ, as far as I can tell. Tidy the bed, check the trash, take towels from floor, replace candy, replace dirty glasses, only swipe surfaces that are in obvious need. Lights generally off, although I do leave the blinds how they have them (usually).
emspiers said:
No photos, and I haven't even remembered to call my agent. I was at the Fair picking up my ribbons when they left, so I didn't even say goodbye to them. They never asked for a refund or discount for only using one room instead of two, and I never offered. If a bill shows up in the mail I'll probably pay it, but I don't think one will. They were really nice guests and I felt so bad for them.
=)
Kk.

I have the same theory on the turn down service. As nice as it is to come back to turn down, I don't want to turn a bunch of lights on and have them waste energy when I have no idea when the guest will return. I like turn down, but rarely do it here.
When I enter a room - lights all go off, ceiling fan goes off, bathroom fan goes off. If blinds are all shut it is because it was dark adn they had the lights on and blinds down. Now when I am in there it is daylight and there is lots ot see outside the windows.
Case in point - magnolia blooming outside this one room I just freshened. I am not leaving the blinds closed. They left early and just never opened them.
We have central a/c so I can't comment on that. But if you turn it off or down completely the guests stuff melt. I would have to leave it on a decent temp. I have to do that in the cottage, or the flowers will wilt in 35 seconds..
It doesn't get that hot here. So, I'll take it from the winter perspective...I turn the heat down to 55-60 when I go into the room. There's no need for it to be 80 all day long. We have guests who stay in the room for 4 days, all day, and run the fireplace so the room stays a toasty 87 degrees.

Willowpond - ditto what you said.
We have door knob signs -- "Please Clean" or "No Cleaning Necessary".
Here is the percentage as best I can evaluate which is based on 236 couples:
% of guests placing "Please Clean" - 30%
% of guests placing "No Cleaning Necessary" - 60%
% of guests who don't place ANY sign of the door knob - 10%.

Here's what I do for a freshen:
  1. Make bed or straighten (rarely have we had a bed that couldn't be made but if there is too much stuff on it, I leave it alone except to put pillows in shams & decorative pillows up & out of the way, if not done already)
  2. Empty all trash bins
  3. Remove wet/used towels & replace with fresh towels
  4. Wipe out sink & counter or shelf above sink
  5. Wipe out tub/shower, brush toilet if needed
  6. Vacuum if needed (mostly only done on longer stay)
  7. Replenish turndown chocolates, TP, tissues, and bath amenities as needed
  8. Change out flowers if needed
  9. Turn off lights, fans, adjust blinds & curtains if needed
  10. Change out pillowcases if stained; check bed linens & change if stained

willow - i do what you do -- then i stand in the doorway and take a look. if it looks neat and inviting, i'm set. of course, if the guests have lots and lots of things all over, there isn't much i can do.
yesterday i went to fluff and there were panties (stretchy, silky, big - you know the kind) hung over all the curtain rods in the room. and socks, too. guest washed them in the tub or sink and hung them to dry. not hung in the bathroom, tho. i was wondering what kind of folding drying rack or something would be an alternative to having guests do this.
i agree with bree about the thermostat. heat jacked up to 80 in three guest rooms with windows wide open. i was away for a few days and discovered a room had been vacant for four days like this and the innsitter didn't notice.
sad_smile.gif
it had been cleaned and the door closed.

Ok, went to fluff, computer on the bed. Do you make it? I did, but thought twice about it.
2nd room, king bed clear, made it... twin bed covered in clean piles of clothing, including undies, next to open suitcase. Passed.
WWYD?
angel_smile.gif

We have central a/c so I can't comment on that. But if you turn it off or down completely the guests stuff melt. I would have to leave it on a decent temp. I have to do that in the cottage, or the flowers will wilt in 35 seconds..
It doesn't get that hot here. So, I'll take it from the winter perspective...I turn the heat down to 55-60 when I go into the room. There's no need for it to be 80 all day long. We have guests who stay in the room for 4 days, all day, and run the fireplace so the room stays a toasty 87 degrees.
Bree said:
Our health department says we can't have any guest area below 68 degrees. So in your scenario, I would turn the heat down, but not to 55-60.

Bree said:
Our health department says we can't have any guest area below 68 degrees. So in your scenario, I would turn the heat down, but not to 55-60.
NW BB said:
Bree said:
68??? I'd be broke in a week. The common rooms are down to 60 at night. We turn up the heat around 6:30 when hubs is making breakfast. Any unoccupied rooms are 55-60, but your heath dept couldn't argue with that, no one is in there! When I turn the heat down in an occupied guest room, it doesn't get back down to that temp very quickly. And the rooms heat up quickly. We used to turn the heat up around 1 PM for arrivals and spent too much money heating rooms no one was in, so we let the guest turn their own heat up and down when they arrive. Many don't use the heat at all. (Guests CAN adjust the temp in the common space via the wall-mounted thermostat, which we point out to them or by using the gas fireplace, so it's not like we WON'T let them turn the heat up!)
Do you have an upper limit on temp?

Back