Fluorescent Lightbulbs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
For those Inn's that are "green", do you use fluorescent bulbs hanging down? I thought I had read somewhere awhile ago that the bulbs do not last as long used that way. I have some lights that I would like to use fluorescent bulbs in but I'm hesitant if they will not last as long.

We use them everywhere. In the bathroom fixtures (you can get ones that look like globes), nightstands, overhead lights, etc. It's best to read the package to make sure you get the right light wave as some are very harsh white light and others are more what we're used to in incandescent bulbs. There's usually a color bar on the box showing the color the lightbulb will produce.
So far, of the 50 or so that are in place, only one has burned out before its time. The others are chugging right along.

I didn't know about the different colors!!!! I do want to use the ones in the bathrooms since those lights seem to stay on for a long time between all of us using them and they are so hot.

Mostly what influences the length of time that they last is turning them on. Starting up is hard on them. So if you put them in a bathroom where typically there is a lot of quick ons and offs they may not last as long as if you have them in a living room where they are only turned on a few times a day.
You will definitely notice a reduction in heat in the bathroom if you have one of those vanities with a row of lights by switching them to CF.
They also make CF lights that are "fast" on meaning they turn on faster instead of that brief delay they commonly have. The lifetime on the fast on versions is nearly half that of the regular ones, so it pays to get used to the slight delay if you can.
I like the CF in the bathroom because they start out a little dimmer when you first turn them on, then they grow to full brightness in a minute or so....makes it not quite so harsh when you turn them on in the middle of the night ;)

I didn't know about the different colors!!!! I do want to use the ones in the bathrooms since those lights seem to stay on for a long time between all of us using them and they are so hot..
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
I didn't know about the different colors!!!! I do want to use the ones in the bathrooms since those lights seem to stay on for a long time between all of us using them and they are so hot.
I have one over the bathroom sink, kind of like this
and the CFL's work well in it.
OK, that didn't work. It was supposed to insert a picture with the link to the light fixture.

Oddly enough one burned out 1 minue ago in the foyer. Unfortunately this is an OLD place, they burn out often enough around here and YOU do have the get the right one for the right spot. We have them out near our gate now as well. Some do not want to work with what we have, some do.

I didn't know about the different colors!!!! I do want to use the ones in the bathrooms since those lights seem to stay on for a long time between all of us using them and they are so hot..
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Gotta love those vanity fitxures that require 7 to 10 bulbs! UGH! We have fluoros in ours and they are on all the time as there is no window in our bathroom and it is a thoroughfare here for me.

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Gotta love those vanity fitxures that require 7 to 10 bulbs! UGH! We have fluoros in ours and they are on all the time as there is no window in our bathroom and it is a thoroughfare here for me.
We have those ugly strip lights too! I wanted to replace ours with 2 seperate wall mounted lights over the mirror but when we took the old one down the hole in the wall was huge and neither of us can do drywall
sad_smile.gif
so I figured instead of hating the ugly wall patch I would just hate the fixture..
Odd that one of your bulbs burned out just now....spooky!!

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
OK, that didn't work. It was supposed to insert a picture with the link to the light fixture.
The globe bulbs are pricey! I need 10 (12 if I do the powder room too).

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
With the CF bulbs since they draw so much less, you can over bulb the lights if you didn't want to buy that many. Meaning if you have a vanity with 6 bulbs that use 60Watt bulbs. Loosen three (every other one) so they are just for looks, then replace the other three with 100W equivalent CF bulbs (which are ~23 watts actually)

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
With the CF bulbs since they draw so much less, you can over bulb the lights if you didn't want to buy that many. Meaning if you have a vanity with 6 bulbs that use 60Watt bulbs. Loosen three (every other one) so they are just for looks, then replace the other three with 100W equivalent CF bulbs (which are ~23 watts actually)
swirt said:
You are scaring me now.
We have only 3 twisted on in our vanity of 6. LOL!

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
swirt said:
You are scaring me now.
We have only 3 twisted on in our vanity of 6. LOL!
This is where me mentioning that you can see in windows using Google Map Street view comes into play.
devil_smile.gif
<just kidding>

Back