Flushed Out >.<

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbz

Reaction score
Blocked sewerage system of 2 rooms.... some guests have been flushing down sanitary napkins/diapers. Put up a note in the bathroom requesting guests to put them in the paper bag and then throw in bin... they started flushing it down after wrapping it in paper bags.
Never really appreciated fresh mountain breeze till now.. was literally hanging out from the terrace and enjoying fresh air... let me not get into the gross details.
Any thoughts?

There was a time (we've since resolved the issue) when we had a holding tank which had to be pumped to our septic tank (uphill). Folks flushed all sorts of things that our signs requested that they not flush. The pump would get "tangled up" or otherwise broken & it was a disaster to fix (I feel your pain). For a while at check in part of my speech upon entering the room would be to flush, "nothing! nothing! nothing! except small amounts of t.p." (yes I said nothing 3 times after the second time the pump was blocked up by the same foreign objects... Most restaurants etc. on island have signs in their bathrooms here requesting that nothing at all (even t.p.) be flushed-as in many parts of the world where the systems just can't handle it, but people don't listen & carry on flushing all sorts of things....

There is another innkeeper on here who has a boat. She has a policy of charging the guests and telling them they will be helping her 'in the bilge' if they put anything down the toilet that is on the list. (List provided.) She tells them she will know exactly which cabin has done the deed.
Other innkeepers have put up witty signs.

Yuck. I would have LARGE, BOLD signs in each and every bathroom reminding folks of your specific situation and NOT TO FLUSH anything! When traveling throughout the Caribbean we saw these signs everywhere (along with reminders of what would happen if the system got clogged) and they are not offensive at all, just a reminder that you're visiting a different culture than you're used to. Personal ablutions become a matter of habit and I really think it's a matter of just not thinking versus trying to be destructive...I think the reminder is a good idea to prevent this happening again.

Believe me I know your pain as have had to use a guest room for 3 days as the pump that operates out of the basement stopped working it tackles room 11 shower and sink, my toilet, the dishwasher and sink. We have had the handyman and two lots of plumbers out and have finally decided parts of the pump had corroded. We have a saniflow maccerating toilet in room 12 and we have a sign on it that we had made by Vistaprint it says "Please be aware this is a masserating toilet therefore do not put any (contracptives, nappies, sanitary products) down it as it will clog the system and there is an £85 call out for it to be mended which we will be charging to your card. Please put these items in the bin provided. However I saw one that says "please do not put anything down this loo which doesn't come out of you" which I thought was quite funny as what I would like to say is Poo Wee and Toilet paper only down this toilet or I will kill you! would be a bit extreme.

Viper said:
... they started flushing it down after wrapping it in paper bags.
I cannot believe it. Would they do this at home? Stupidity strikes 1 in 10!
BBBob

List of things out of the blocked pipe:
1. Sanitary Napkins - 10
2. Diapers - 5
But the award goes to:
Stones ! o_O ...Lots of them ! Hahaha... hard to imagine this one.
tounge_smile.gif

Viper said:
... they started flushing it down after wrapping it in paper bags.
BBBob.
BBBob
[/quote]
I think the percentage is higher!

Back