Flying out for week long interview/introduction - what kinds of things should we take?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I truly hope it works out for you but something m'dear smells fishy .... I agree flying you in for a week? I guess it's no more expensive than flying you in for a day but I also am surprised.
If they have a chef for groups I would find out what kind of a food service permit they have. What state are they in and what are the food service regulations in that state? Do either of you have a Serv Safe Cert?
As a 4 room Inn that has just not been able to make it since the economic downturn, I cannot imagine how they are affording an Innkeeper couple AND have a landscaper .. who knows maybe their house is paid off and they don't have a mortgage burden or maybe they just need a write off.
Have you asked THEM what THEIR expectations are of YOU during that time? Since you mention you are not experienced AND I can only PRESUME you are not mind readers, I would ask them .. and not try to guess their expectations.
I am sure they may say that "we can talk once you are here" to which my reply would be that I like to be prepared.
Have you done any research into the Inn? Read the reviews? Googled the Innkeepers? Searched history on the corporation if it is one?
There is NO such thing as "magic" - any magician that does not know how his tricks and illusions will turn out has on rose colored glasses ..
Sorry, that's just my take ... but I really wish you luck

Sad to say this aloud, but if we knew what the inn was or where, we might be able to give you a heads up, since this forum is very broad reaching. But no, don't do it, don't tell us, it would be a huge mistake.
Wonder if it is the place one of our members is leaving shortly? I would hire someone without inn experience if I liked them, absolutely, and in fact I might not hire 75% of innkeepers I find (elsewhere online) who I think couldn't handle it. Not here, of course, you are all stellar and above par.
wink_smile.gif

Innkeepers vs running the business? How much will you be doing? What will you NOT be doing? (that is one question I would have during this process). Then you can assess the position better.
What do hired innkeepers do? If the occupancy is high then they hire housekeepers, if it is not high (like ours) then we do it all ourselves. If we needed to hire innkeepers here for whatever reason full time, they would have to clean the rooms, mow the lawns, maintain the grounds etc, as we do.
Just thinking aloud... A B&B not too far from us has hired innkeepers permantently on staff. The owners travel and do other things. There is no way their occupancy is close to ours, they are in the middle of nowhere..
I am also thinking of an inn near me, that hires and fires people at will it seems. There seem to be many different reasons for letting people go and hiring new ones. And, then there are the really talented people that quit. It's really fascinating to watch. lol! I would never work there nor would I recommend it as a place to work to anyone I know.
I was just thinking today of how I'm going to write all the skills required of an innkeeper/owner to put on my updated resume.
regular_smile.gif
It's kind of amazing...

Sad to say this aloud, but if we knew what the inn was or where, we might be able to give you a heads up, since this forum is very broad reaching. But no, don't do it, don't tell us, it would be a huge mistake.
Wonder if it is the place one of our members is leaving shortly? I would hire someone without inn experience if I liked them, absolutely, and in fact I might not hire 75% of innkeepers I find (elsewhere online) who I think couldn't handle it. Not here, of course, you are all stellar and above par.
wink_smile.gif

Innkeepers vs running the business? How much will you be doing? What will you NOT be doing? (that is one question I would have during this process). Then you can assess the position better.
What do hired innkeepers do? If the occupancy is high then they hire housekeepers, if it is not high (like ours) then we do it all ourselves. If we needed to hire innkeepers here for whatever reason full time, they would have to clean the rooms, mow the lawns, maintain the grounds etc, as we do.
Just thinking aloud... A B&B not too far from us has hired innkeepers permantently on staff. The owners travel and do other things. There is no way their occupancy is close to ours, they are in the middle of nowhere..
I am also thinking of an inn near me, that hires and fires people at will it seems. There seem to be many different reasons for letting people go and hiring new ones. And, then there are the really talented people that quit. It's really fascinating to watch. lol! I would never work there nor would I recommend it as a place to work to anyone I know.
I was just thinking today of how I'm going to write all the skills required of an innkeeper/owner to put on my updated resume.
regular_smile.gif
It's kind of amazing...
Samster said:
So between a few of us here we can think of a few that have a high turn over. We will be patient, Southern can let us know later on...
I have had people approach us and ask us to run the inn for us, and maybe do an owner contract. Many, in fact. Where would WE live? This is all part of the package. We eithre run it or we don't. But I know of a couple inns where the owner has fallen ill and the show must go on, they hire to keep the place running. They don't want to close it. It has a history and a reputation. I applaud them for that.

wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
It's kind of amazing...
Samster said:
So between a few of us here we can think of a few that have a high turn over. We will be patient, Southern can let us know later on...
I have had people approach us and ask us to run the inn for us, and maybe do an owner contract. Many, in fact. Where would WE live? This is all part of the package. We eithre run it or we don't. But I know of a couple inns where the owner has fallen ill and the show must go on, they hire to keep the place running. They don't want to close it. It has a history and a reputation. I applaud them for that.
Yes, I'll be curious to find out how these folks can afford full-time, live-in help. The 12 room inn where I worked had all part-time staff, no live-in help at all. I hope that Southern will let us know the end of the story.

OK, I am your prospective employer. After a nice meet and greet, probably over drinks (how well do they hold their alcohol, do they drink to excess?) we'd talk about the day to day operations (are they taking notes, nodding like they agree, asking pertinent questions, showing they 'get it') and I'd let you know what time I expected to see you in the morning. 6 AM. Ready to rock n roll.
On the first morning I would expect you to watch and ask questions. We would take you thru the day as we handle it and expect more questions and possibly some observations on how you think this might be done better this way, have we tried it that way?
On the second day you would be cooking the breakfast so I would expect you to be asking to see the fridge and taking stock of what you need to buy to make that breakfast and handing off a shopping list to the present cook. I would also expect that by this time you would have already made yourself knowledgeable about what it is we do serve and not prepare something totally out of the ordinary or something that could not be repeated within the budget constraints. (So you should have asked about the budget beforehand.)
I'd be interested in your phone manner, how you handle check-ins, your design abilities if you are in charge of florals and room decorating. I'd have a series of 'how would you handle this?' queries. (I can say breakfast is 'take it or leave it' I would not expect an employee to do the same.)
If your responsibilities include marketing I'd expect to see an example of what you think needs to be done to increase room revenues and how you would do that and why you think that would work in this area.
How will you handle my tempermental cook? Does s/he have carte blanche in the kitchen or will you micro/manage?
Gardener? What plans do you have for the gardener?
On to room cleaning. I will expect to see you clean rooms. I will check to see if you are thorough. If I am not going to be an onsite owner, then you will need to either be doing the work or responsible for training. What kind of budget have you worked out for hiring seasonal employees?
Generally, I expect you to be totally conversant with our website, out guest policies, our blog. You need to know something about the area. (research in advance.)
I would expect you to approach us on what leeway you will have, what leeway you want, what you feel comfortable taking over, what you are not comfortable with. Not that you won't learn those things, but that right now you'd prefer to take our lead.
And. seriously, if you will have a chef for five rooms and a gardener the employers obviously have money that is not coming from the room rentals unless the rooms are going for $300+..
You, my dear, are priceless! And I am so glad to be getting to know you!
Whether our potential employers have money, like a lot of money, I do not know; but I do know that the rooms DO NOT go for $300. A landscaper who comes on 2-3 times a year does not constitute a "gardener" in my eyes. I will be able to contract a chef if I have large enough group to warrant one.
A lot of what you have suggested here in a round about way answers my question of what to bring. For example: I have wondered if it would be appropriate to bring some marketing suggestions. I have time to create a couple of things specific to this B&B and so I think I'll do that and take it with me. If the right opportunity opens, then I'll have it at my fingertips.
D has a degree in History - he loves it. So he has been actively learning all he can about the rich history that is there.
when you say big enough group to hire a chef you do mean ie outside function not with five rooms (presuming doubles max 10 guests even if they were triples thats 15) we regularly do 26 for breakfast just 2 of us and not to show off but if you prep properly this isn't that difficult. However if you intend doing say weddings, events etc then yes get someone reliable with good recomendations and comes with the local seal of approval.

I think everyone has filled you in well. Like others I am too curious to know how such a small inn can afford to fly you out for an interview??? Very curious indeed. Good luck. At least you will get a week of "experience" :)

The inn might not be the owners only business. In which case they might be used to a different hirering style.
Don't worry about the experience part. Yes, you will make mistakes but that is how people gain experience. If this isn't their first rodeo, they will know that.

OK, I am your prospective employer. After a nice meet and greet, probably over drinks (how well do they hold their alcohol, do they drink to excess?) we'd talk about the day to day operations (are they taking notes, nodding like they agree, asking pertinent questions, showing they 'get it') and I'd let you know what time I expected to see you in the morning. 6 AM. Ready to rock n roll.
On the first morning I would expect you to watch and ask questions. We would take you thru the day as we handle it and expect more questions and possibly some observations on how you think this might be done better this way, have we tried it that way?
On the second day you would be cooking the breakfast so I would expect you to be asking to see the fridge and taking stock of what you need to buy to make that breakfast and handing off a shopping list to the present cook. I would also expect that by this time you would have already made yourself knowledgeable about what it is we do serve and not prepare something totally out of the ordinary or something that could not be repeated within the budget constraints. (So you should have asked about the budget beforehand.)
I'd be interested in your phone manner, how you handle check-ins, your design abilities if you are in charge of florals and room decorating. I'd have a series of 'how would you handle this?' queries. (I can say breakfast is 'take it or leave it' I would not expect an employee to do the same.)
If your responsibilities include marketing I'd expect to see an example of what you think needs to be done to increase room revenues and how you would do that and why you think that would work in this area.
How will you handle my tempermental cook? Does s/he have carte blanche in the kitchen or will you micro/manage?
On to room cleaning. I will expect to see you clean rooms. I will check to see if you are thorough. If I am not going to be an onsite owner, then you will need to either be doing the work or responsible for training. What kind of budget have you worked out for hiring seasonal employees?
Generally, I expect you to be totally conversant with our website, out guest policies, our blog. You need to know something about the area. (research in advance.)
I would expect you to approach us on what leeway you will have, what leeway you want, what you feel comfortable taking over, what you are not comfortable with. Not that you won't learn those things, but that right now you'd prefer to take our lead.
And. seriously, if you will have a chef for five rooms and a gardener the employers obviously have money that is not coming from the room rentals unless the rooms are going for $300+..
Whether our potential employers have money, like a lot of money, I do not know; but I do know that the rooms DO NOT go for $300. A landscaper who comes on 2-3 times a year does not constitute a "gardener" in my eyes. I will be able to contract a chef if I have large enough group to warrant one.
A lot of what you have suggested here in a round about way answers my question of what to bring. For example: I have wondered if it would be appropriate to bring some marketing suggestions. I have time to create a couple of things specific to this B&B and so I think I'll do that and take it with me. If the right opportunity opens, then I'll have it at my fingertips.
D has a degree in History - he loves it. So he has been actively learning all he can about the rich history that is there.
ServingSouthernComfort said:
That's a great way to NOT get the job. I would never give out marketing tips in an interview. Why do they need you then?
And if they do hire you, and have already implemented your ideas, they will NOT remember they came from you. They will just look at what has improved since you started. DO NOT DO THIS
They may make a lot of money on functions with the B&B as more of a side line if it appears they have money to spend for a chef and staff.
We are currently a two room inn and make more money on our wine tours than the inn.
An idea (DO NOT GIVE THIS OUT IN YOUR INTERVIEW) if your DH is a history nut you could have him do walking tours. I'd create his own business and have it as an amenitiy add on to help book the rooms, but don't give them the money. Pocket it yourself.
Like others have learned, though, find out if they have been having high turnover. That's a bad sign.
RIki
Riki

That's a great way to NOT get the job. I would never give out marketing tips in an interview. Why do they need you then?
And if they do hire you, and have already implemented your ideas, they will NOT remember they came from you. They will just look at what has improved since you started. DO NOT DO THIS
They may make a lot of money on functions with the B&B as more of a side line if it appears they have money to spend for a chef and staff.
We are currently a two room inn and make more money on our wine tours than the inn.
An idea (DO NOT GIVE THIS OUT IN YOUR INTERVIEW) if your DH is a history nut you could have him do walking tours. I'd create his own business and have it as an amenitiy add on to help book the rooms, but don't give them the money. Pocket it yourself.
Like others have learned, though, find out if they have been having high turnover. That's a bad sign.
RIki
Riki
this is soo true had a small hotel they had all people in for interview and had to do a presentation of what they would do with the place to turn it round and bring a printed copy with them they never hired anyone and just used all the ideas. It was a nasty turn and the hotel, B&B community is very close knit and everyone knew about it.

Ok everybody,hold your horses.
First of all,ServingSouthern,kudos to you,for taking a leap of faith,and not being afraid of taking chances.
Let me all tell you our story.
Both my husband and I have always wanted to run a B&B (not own,just run it )in a specific town.We have no experience,me working in the airline industry,and hubby in corporate/non profit America.
One day,as I was perusing a certain website (with a lot of different job categories) I found an ad,looking for a couple innkeeper/chef.Heck,do we know how to cook,or run a B&B?...No,but like ServingSouthern,we think what the heck,lets send these people an email.
The next day,we get a response back,they loved our email (we were very honest with our qualifications) but they said they loved it,and had a couple of chuckles over it.
Granted,as I work for the airlines,hubby and I can fly for free (standby!) so they asked us if we could fly over,and come on in for an interview.Of course we said yes,and went a couple of days early,so we could have a little fun in this beautiful southern city,and to do a little research on the B&B,and the owners...(I will admit,that after they asked us for the interview,I did a lot of research on the internet,hubby thought it was bordering on "stalking"...I just wanted to be prepared!)
We met the owners for our interview,they walked us around the property (9 freestanding cottages within beautiful grounds) We went through the job descriptions,day to day operation,and had a really really good time,just talking and laughing with the owners.
After our interview,they told us they would be in touch,and about 45mins later,whilst we were having lunch,we got a phone call from them,could we meet them again in about 15mins....We did,and they said they absolutely loved us,and could we come over for two weeks,to see if we really liked the position,and to see if we would all "Click".
We said we would think about it,but the minute we got home,we called them and said YES.Both hubby and I took two weeks vacation,got a cat sitter,and about three weeks later,we were on our way to find out if this was really what we wanted....
The owners sound a lot like Servingsouthern's owners (although they did not pay for our airfare,but then again,they also know we can fly for free) They made us so welcome,had tours ready for us,so we could explore the city,they invited us into to their homes,so they could teach us how to cook in bulk,they took us out for expensive dinners (this city is KNOWN for their amazing restaurants and southern cooking!) On our part,we worked our tails off.We wanted to know how to clean rooms,so we told them not to have the cleaning staff come in for a week,and let me tell you,its hard work,but we loved it,and it is the only way to know how to do it right.We learned their reservation systems within a couple of hours,and were taking reservations on the phone the next day.We greeted guests,made them comfortable,served breakfast (well,hubby did,I was too nervous!) and had amazing conversations with our guests.We assisted with staging the cottages for a photoshoot for the new website,hubby did a lot of yardwork,I organized their laundry room,storage room and kitchen (the flight attendant in me!) and even though we were bone tired every night,it was a wonderful feeling,and I have never seen hubby happier.He was born to be an innkeeper.We also got our first 5 star review on a certain website,saying how wonderful we were! (yes,they mentioned us by name!....)
At the end of the two weeks,the owners came over,with two bottles of champagne,and asked us if we could please accept their job offer,and contract......
Now,it does not pay much (yes,I have been reading this wonderful forum for quite a while!) but both hubby and I have no commitments,no mortgages,no kids,no debts,so taking a 75% reduction in salary was something we were able to do.We realized that having our dream job in a city we have always loved and wanted to retire in,is priceless.
We got very,very,very lucky with our new bosses.They are absolutely the best.I think the most important thing is that you all CLICK and are on the same page.They told us that they loved the fact we had NO experience,is because they had looked at experienced innkeepers,but they always wanted to run the B&B their way,and the owners really wanted something different.Both my hubby and I are very open minded (like the owners) and I think it was a plus.
We are now in the midst of packing our belongings,getting our cats ready for the 16hrs drive down,and can not wait until October 1,when we will be INNKEEPERS!
So once again ServingSouthern,best of luck to you,yes,there are owners who are wonderful and want to make their innkeepers happy,and I think that having the two weeks experience was the best thing our owners ever did.It was a way for all of us to find ou,t if we were a good fit,and we now know that we have a long and happy relationship ahead of us.

First of all,ServingSouthern,kudos to you,for taking a leap of faith,and not being afraid of taking chances.
Both my husband and I have always wanted to run a B&B (not own,just run it )in a specific town.We have no experience,me working in the airline industry,and hubby in corporate/non profit America.
One day,as I was perusing a certain website (with a lot of different job categories) I found an ad,looking for a couple innkeeper/chef.Heck,do we know how to cook,or run a B&B?...No,but like ServingSouthern,we think what the heck,lets send these people an email.
The next day,we get a response back,they loved our email (we were very honest with our qualifications) but they said they loved it,and had a couple of chuckles over it.
Granted,as I work for the airlines,hubby and I can fly for free (standby!) so they asked us if we could fly over,and come on in for an interview.Of course we said yes,and went a couple of days early,so we could have a little fun in this beautiful southern city,and to do a little research on the B&B,and the owners...(I will admit,that after they asked us for the interview,I did a lot of research on the internet,hubby thought it was bordering on "stalking"...I just wanted to be prepared!)
We met the owners for our interview,they walked us around the property (9 freestanding cottages within beautiful grounds) We went through the job descriptions,day to day operation,and had a really really good time,just talking and laughing with the owners.
After our interview,they told us they would be in touch,and about 45mins later,whilst we were having lunch,we got a phone call from them,could we meet them again in about 15mins....We did,and they said they absolutely loved us,and could we come over for two weeks,to see if we really liked the position,and to see if we would all "Click".
We said we would think about it,but the minute we got home,we called them and said YES.Both hubby and I took two weeks vacation,got a cat sitter,and about three weeks later,we were on our way to find out if this was really what we wanted....
The owners sound a lot like Servingsouthern's owners (although they did not pay for our airfare,but then again,they also know we can fly for free) They made us so welcome,had tours ready for us,so we could explore the city,they invited us into to their homes,so they could teach us how to cook in bulk,they took us out for expensive dinners (this city is KNOWN for their amazing restaurants and southern cooking!) On our part,we worked our tails off.We wanted to know how to clean rooms,so we told them not to have the cleaning staff come in for a week,and let me tell you,its hard work,but we loved it,and it is the only way to know how to do it right.We learned their reservation systems within a couple of hours,and were taking reservations on the phone the next day.We greeted guests,made them comfortable,served breakfast (well,hubby did,I was too nervous!) and had amazing conversations with our guests.We assisted with staging the cottages for a photoshoot for the new website,hubby did a lot of yardwork,I organized their laundry room,storage room and kitchen (the flight attendant in me!) and even though we were bone tired every night,it was a wonderful feeling,and I have never seen hubby happier.He was born to be an innkeeper.We also got our first 5 star review on a certain website,saying how wonderful we were! (yes,they mentioned us by name!....)
At the end of the two weeks,the owners came over,with two bottles of champagne,and asked us if we could please accept their job offer,and contract......
Now,it does not pay much (yes,I have been reading this wonderful forum for quite a while!) but both hubby and I have no commitments,no mortgages,no kids,no debts,so taking a 75% reduction in salary was something we were able to do.We realized that having our dream job in a city we have always loved and wanted to retire in,is priceless.
We got very,very,very lucky with our new bosses.They are absolutely the best.I think the most important thing is that you all CLICK and are on the same page.They told us that they loved the fact we had NO experience,is because they had looked at experienced innkeepers,but they always wanted to run the B&B their way,and the owners really wanted something different.Both my hubby and I are very open minded (like the owners) and I think it was a plus.
We are now in the midst of packing our belongings,getting our cats ready for the 16hrs drive down,and can not wait until October 1,when we will be INNKEEPERS!
So once again ServingSouthern,best of luck to you,yes,there are owners who are wonderful and want to make their innkeepers happy,and I think that having the two weeks experience was the best thing our owners ever did.It was a way for all of us to find ou,t if we were a good fit,and we now know that we have a long and happy relationship ahead of us..
I will pay you to use proper punctuation.
Sorry but I just had to say that, as it is quite painful to read the lack of spaces after punctuation.
whattha.gif

Vissarion good for you but please remember most people cannot afford to take a 75% pay cut...

So once again ServingSouthern,best of luck to you,yes,there are owners who are wonderful and want to make their innkeepers happy,and I think that having the two weeks experience was the best thing our owners ever did.It was a way for all of us to find ou,t if we were a good fit,and we now know that we have a long and happy relationship ahead of us..
I will pay you to use proper punctuation.
Sorry but I just had to say that, as it is quite painful to read the lack of spaces after punctuation.
whattha.gif

How much are you willing to pay?
I am in need of some extra money!
regular_smile.gif

RIki
Riki
this is soo true had a small hotel they had all people in for interview and had to do a presentation of what they would do with the place to turn it round and bring a printed copy with them they never hired anyone and just used all the ideas. It was a nasty turn and the hotel, B&B community is very close knit and everyone knew about it.
Awww man! NO WAAY! Now that is just wrong. What B&B community are you making reference to so we can avoid them? ;) That is sad that the other proprietors were in on it.
To listen to y'all - B&B people are just about the most untrustworthy, slimy, unfair, penny-pinching bunch of people in the world. I know it isn't so - but if someone was to come in here unaware - I'm just sayin'... It is indeed some of what attracts us to y'all, though.
Just a side note: I am celebrating your "No exploding toilets yet today" day with you!! woohoo!

That's a great story. Please keep us in the loop when you start your new life and the ups and downs of innkeeping.
I can definitely see a job placement happening this way. As adament as I am about how I would only hire innsitters with experience, I can also see where I could hire an inexperienced innkeeping couple as full time innkeepers if I made the personal connection, saw them in action at my inn and spent time training and seeing how they interacted with my guests.
I would make sure the people I were hiring had the same philosophy of hospitality, were quick learners and I would train them and be hands on until I was comfortable that my 'baby' were in good hands.
Congratulations!

RIki
Riki
Awww man! NO WAAY! Now that is just wrong. What B&B community are you making reference to so we can avoid them? ;) That is sad that the other proprietors were in on it.
To listen to y'all - B&B people are just about the most untrustworthy, slimy, unfair, penny-pinching bunch of people in the world. I know it isn't so - but if someone was to come in here unaware - I'm just sayin'... It is indeed some of what attracts us to y'all, though.
Just a side note: I am celebrating your "No exploding toilets yet today" day with you!! woohoo!
To listen to y'all - B&B people are just about the most untrustworthy, slimy, unfair, penny-pinching bunch of people in the world. I know it isn't so - but if someone was to come in here unaware - I'm just sayin'...
What a statement!!
'B&B people' are just like all other people you've met in the business world. All kinds. Great and not so good. There are owners and innkeepers and owner/innkeepers. And the B&B people on this forum are the most generous bunch I've met.
They are very wise and are just urging a healthy dose of caution and skepticism. Filling you in on real life experiences and scenarios. What good would it do you to just to say KUDO's to you and congratulations?
Isn't that what you came here for?

RIki
Riki
To listen to y'all - B&B people are just about the most untrustworthy, slimy, unfair, penny-pinching bunch of people in the world. I know it isn't so - but if someone was to come in here unaware - I'm just sayin'...
What a statement!!
'B&B people' are just like all other people you've met in the business world. All kinds. Great and not so good. There are owners and innkeepers and owner/innkeepers. And the B&B people on this forum are the most generous bunch I've met.
They are very wise and are just urging a healthy dose of caution and skepticism. Filling you in on real life experiences and scenarios. What good would it do you to just to say KUDO's to you and congratulations?
Isn't that what you came here for?
" Innspiring.com is a place for innkeepers and Bed and Breakfast owners to share ideas, ask questions, and celebrate the joys and hardships of running a B&B. This forum is run by innkeepers for innkeepers. Welcome and please feel free to create an account and take part. Opinions, are always honest, sometimes blunt and usually valuable. Come in and make yourself at home. "

RIki
Riki
You wrote:
"And if they do hire you, and have already implemented your ideas, they will NOT remember they came from you. They will just look at what has improved since you started. DO NOT DO THIS"
Thanks, Eg! I hadn't really thought about this like this, but I know it happens. I have lost more than once when it came to NOT getting the credit due for some work I had done - stolen by none other than: my boss. UGH!
On the other side of this coin is - if they don't hire me because my marketing plan is soooo good that they can make big bucks without me just by stealing my idea - then I definitely need to be asking for more money on future interviews ;). Corporate companies have marketing peoples come in to pitch their idea for selling their product all the time. Its just how it works.
I don't think I will bring my BEST idea - but I think I may bring one mark-up for them to see my work. If they don't hire me and steal my idea, then BLESS THEM. I believe we reap what we sow in life - and I would be very fearful as a business owner if I am out there screwing people over all the time. It cannot work out well for them in the long run. All that negative energy will eventually bite them.

That's a wonderful, heart-warming story and I hope it all works out when you get there. We were homeless and unemployed when we found our place here, so we didn't even have to think about it. We had zero hospitality background, I still can't cook, but the guests are just open and gracious and love everything we've done. Good things do happen everyday.

Well congrats to both of you. But 9 freestanding cottages is a bit different than having 9 guest rooms in your own home and living with them 24/7. Nothing wrong with that..it is just not the same as running / living in a B & B.

Back