Focus on what is wrong

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
from ThinkDaily for Business People
Focus on what is wrong
Managers will tell you what is right. Leaders need to rise above and look for where what is happening doesn't match goals, potential or objectives.
You need to call it when nobody else will. Then fix it.
What's wrong with your business?
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]http://bit.ly/9acFCW[/COLOR]

You know we do this quite well here! Find something wrong and then put all our heads together to fix it.

This is why I rarely read glowing reviews. I want to see where a guest's experience came up short, and what the innkeeper did about it. That tells me everything I need to know.

This is why I rarely read glowing reviews. I want to see where a guest's experience came up short, and what the innkeeper did about it. That tells me everything I need to know..
IronGate said:
This is why I rarely read glowing reviews. I want to see where a guest's experience came up short, and what the innkeeper did about it. That tells me everything I need to know.
Do you mean how the innkeeper responded? Yes, it is that old we can all be calm when everything goes perfectly right, but see what happens when you throw us into hot water!

Luckily I havnt got reviews about those times when the S***t has hit the fan thank goodness! Maybe we should all write one about a tiny problem and how we fixed it! for trip adviser lol.

This is why I rarely read glowing reviews. I want to see where a guest's experience came up short, and what the innkeeper did about it. That tells me everything I need to know..
IronGate said:
Do you mean how the innkeeper responded? Yes, it is that old we can all be calm when everything goes perfectly right, but see what happens when you throw us into hot water!
Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
Interesting way to put it...see what happens when the guest throws us off the mark somehow. Blame the guest? Review our own way of doing things? Ignore it? Laugh it off?
What is telling is when ONE guest can make an innkeeper completely change the way they do business. Was that problem there all along? Was that the straw? Or is it a total overreaction? Sometimes the changes are for the good of all and that's positive. Other times the mgmt responses to reviews stating massive changes in policy DUE TO THIS GUEST are totally negative.
Of course I hope all the time to not have that kind of task set in front of me! We have changed as the years have gone along. We've changed back and forth on some issues (late arrivals). We've remodeled to partly avoid the boundary-less guest's intrusions. We've done that dang keypad thing 3 times now! We've changed how we make brekkie.
All of it without any kind of reviews but just gauging how our guests are reacting to what they're finding here.

IronGate said:
Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
Interesting way to put it...see what happens when the guest throws us off the mark somehow. Blame the guest? Review our own way of doing things? Ignore it? Laugh it off?
What is telling is when ONE guest can make an innkeeper completely change the way they do business. Was that problem there all along? Was that the straw? Or is it a total overreaction? Sometimes the changes are for the good of all and that's positive. Other times the mgmt responses to reviews stating massive changes in policy DUE TO THIS GUEST are totally negative.
Of course I hope all the time to not have that kind of task set in front of me! We have changed as the years have gone along. We've changed back and forth on some issues (late arrivals). We've remodeled to partly avoid the boundary-less guest's intrusions. We've done that dang keypad thing 3 times now! We've changed how we make brekkie.
All of it without any kind of reviews but just gauging how our guests are reacting to what they're finding here.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
As the saying goes, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.
Overeacting, vs reacting to a bad situation is something to think about. That could be the diff in a long slew of pitas (the last straw) to the difficult guest being the only one for a while and we can deal with it. Sometimes the last straw means we need to re-eval how we do things. Some of these things are obv to the rest of us and we just go merrily along...until it happens.
I am disturbed when innkeepers change something major due to one guest. The "notes everywhere" thing comes to mind. One bad apple and the rest of us are treated like school children. Like DH said to me one day when someone suggested I make him a honeydew list "I better not EVER see a honeydew list or you will have a stop work order" it was a total insult to him. Now for me, I am a list maker, but don't dare make that one, even tho I need to!! I mean, he needs me to! haha

IronGate said:
Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
IronGate said:
As the saying goes, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.
Overeacting, vs reacting to a bad situation is something to think about. That could be the diff in a long slew of pitas (the last straw) to the difficult guest being the only one for a while and we can deal with it. Sometimes the last straw means we need to re-eval how we do things. Some of these things are obv to the rest of us and we just go merrily along...until it happens.
I am disturbed when innkeepers change something major due to one guest. The "notes everywhere" thing comes to mind. One bad apple and the rest of us are treated like school children. Like DH said to me one day when someone suggested I make him a honeydew list "I better not EVER see a honeydew list or you will have a stop work order" it was a total insult to him. Now for me, I am a list maker, but don't dare make that one, even tho I need to!! I mean, he needs me to! haha
No honeydo list here, either. I make lists for myself. Anything else I make suggestions and shut up.

Thing is people hate it when there are signs everywhere but i know how people get like thats it is because of the complete lack of people exercising any form of common sense!
Every day i say to guest the glasses for the juice are here and point 10 seconds later you have run out of juice glasses or where are the glasses (have had them try an look in cupboards before now) they are right in front of you where I showed you they are! DUH

Back to our all time saying "People don't read" and then of course "People don't listen" and "People are in a diff environment from what they are used to"

I can't remember the reason now but last week one guest said "U need to put a sign on that"
cry_smile.gif

Back