Food Co-ops

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecondAct

Reaction score
Have any of you used a food co-op and if so, what has your experience been?

I have and it wasn't always fresh and the best quality which ended up costing more in waste. Are you speaking of catalog ordering? Or local markets?

I haven't had a co-op but did have a CSA share last summer. It was great in a lot of ways - I used the herbs for breakfast, and had more veggies in my diet than usual, but when we get busy in the summer I cook less, so sometimes stuff went to waste. If you're an inventive chef you can find a good use for everything.

I haven't had a co-op but did have a CSA share last summer. It was great in a lot of ways - I used the herbs for breakfast, and had more veggies in my diet than usual, but when we get busy in the summer I cook less, so sometimes stuff went to waste. If you're an inventive chef you can find a good use for everything..
We were in a CSA this summer. Didn't work for me. Too many veggies for us. I ended giving up lots of it away. I just didn't care for much of the produce we ended up getting and I was not particularly fond of the quality. Picked way too late for my tastes. I don't want baseball bat sized zuchinni:-(

My daughter belonged to a coop for a number of years. Part of the problem is that you have to belong to one that is very committed. When a truck comes in with cases, people have to separate it all out to the individual orders. Then notify people to pick up the orders, etc. It is alot of work.
I used to get some things thru her coop that I couldn't get from anywhere else. I usually had to buy a case, but could put in the freezer.
She also belongs to a CSA, but we don't. I buy from a local group that is part of the CSA but they operate an organic store and we buy from there like any other store.

Just back from the Farmer's Market. It was small today - getting to be the end of the season. It was great. This was the second year. We have ours on Wednesday mornings. Many of the towns in this area have them and there are only so many farmers......

I have and it wasn't always fresh and the best quality which ended up costing more in waste. Are you speaking of catalog ordering? Or local markets?.
Well, the person who told me about this is a homeowner with a small family and they buy from a co-op where a semi-tractor trailer comes around and they can buy everything, soup to nuts. They were saying both that the stuff was cheaper but I think these people are more interested in the fact that it was "organic." I tried googling for this but they seem to be more available around larger cities. We do have a farmer's market in our town on Saturday mornings, but they are just about done for the season now too.

Back