Food cost question for B&B's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are a B&B and I did a short while ago cost out our breakfasts.
The reason being that I wanted to add a smoked salmon dish to our breakfast menu but smoked salmon is very expensive, so I wanted to compare costs.
As it turned out the smoked salmon dish was only a matter of pence more expensive than a full Scottish cooked breakfast which most people choose, and yet most people think it's very luxurious to be offered this in a B&B and most B&B owners I know recoil at the thought of offering it to guests.
I can post my spreadsheet if anyone is interested..
multiple post -- it's apparently going to be one of those days. :(

The reason being that I wanted to add a smoked salmon dish to our breakfast menu but smoked salmon is very expensive, so I wanted to compare costs.
As it turned out the smoked salmon dish was only a matter of pence more expensive than a full Scottish cooked breakfast which most people choose, and yet most people think it's very luxurious to be offered this in a B&B and most B&B owners I know recoil at the thought of offering it to guests.
multiple post -- besides, I really wanted to make sure Pottery House had a good and proper welcome! :)

multiple post -- and I heard there was a prize for rapidly increasing your post count. True????

multiple post -- apparently I have a "thing" about making sure my comments get noticed, eh?

multiple post -- maybe swirt can do me a favor and delete some extraneous posts? please?
oh, dang, I feel such a fool.
embaressed_smile.gif

Irongate you brought a smile to my face! SNAFU's can be fun sometimes.
cheers.gif

I think the multiple posts happen if you PREVIEW them when you edit, if I recall. I forget now.

Irongate you brought a smile to my face! SNAFU's can be fun sometimes.
cheers.gif

I think the multiple posts happen if you PREVIEW them when you edit, if I recall. I forget now..
I think the multiple posts happen if you PREVIEW them when you edit. . .
That might be true, but they can also happen when your touchpad gets all excited and desperately wants to please. "If one entry is good, many must be great. I'll help!"

I do actual food costs. All BB groceries are entered on spread sheet. It's the easiest way for me.

To write off the cost I need to keep track of it as well. Don't want an audit.
tounge_smile.gif

Yes, we too find that people tend to go for the simpler options. I've offered Eggs Benedict but the take-up has been very limited, I thought it would be a lovely option for breakfast.
We put out a different menu every morning and some poeple who stay for 4, 5 or even 7 nights have exactly the same thing every morning. Had someone here for 4 nights who was a vegetarian last month so I went out of my way to ensure there where vegetarian choices every morning, but all he wanted was brown toast and un-cooked tomatoes every morning.

Yes, we too find that people tend to go for the simpler options. I've offered Eggs Benedict but the take-up has been very limited, I thought it would be a lovely option for breakfast.
We put out a different menu every morning and some poeple who stay for 4, 5 or even 7 nights have exactly the same thing every morning. Had someone here for 4 nights who was a vegetarian last month so I went out of my way to ensure there where vegetarian choices every morning, but all he wanted was brown toast and un-cooked tomatoes every morning..
Pottery House said:
We put out a different menu every morning and some poeple who stay for 4, 5 or even 7 nights have exactly the same thing every morning. Had someone here for 4 nights who was a vegetarian last month so I went out of my way to ensure there where vegetarian choices every morning, but all he wanted was brown toast and un-cooked tomatoes every morning.
You know, if someone wants the same brekkie each morning by their choice, that's fine. Sometimes they're eating out for dinner & lunch and they're starting to feel stuffed!
I wanted to do eggs benny, too, but the take I heard was no one wants to see runny yolks anymore (the egg police have scared them silly). And, a lot of guests don't even want to know it's an egg at all. Beat it up or encase it so they don't know and they're fine.

We put out a different menu every morning and some poeple who stay for 4, 5 or even 7 nights have exactly the same thing every morning. Had someone here for 4 nights who was a vegetarian last month so I went out of my way to ensure there where vegetarian choices every morning, but all he wanted was brown toast and un-cooked tomatoes every morning..
Pottery House said:
You know, if someone wants the same brekkie each morning by their choice, that's fine. Sometimes they're eating out for dinner & lunch and they're starting to feel stuffed!
I wanted to do eggs benny, too, but the take I heard was no one wants to see runny yolks anymore (the egg police have scared them silly). And, a lot of guests don't even want to know it's an egg at all. Beat it up or encase it so they don't know and they're fine.
We've got our own chickens and when you see where the eggs come from and what the chickens eat (they love a big fat worm) it makes me think twice about eating eggs too.
regular_smile.gif

But then I start to think about milk!!

Welcome Pottery House!
Nice blog article. May I share your April 11th article on my own blog as a matter of interest with link to your blog or website? You can email me from my profile and I will "reveal" my blog and where I am.
welcome.gif

Pottery House said:
Mortie, why the runny yolks? Scramble the dang things and everyone loves them! After all they are glorified egg mcmuffins, right? That is what the egg mcmuffins are based on anyway.
whattha.gif

Welcome Pottery House!
Nice blog article. May I share your April 11th article on my own blog as a matter of interest with link to your blog or website? You can email me from my profile and I will "reveal" my blog and where I am.
welcome.gif

Thank you.
DId make me notice that a bit of spell-checking wouldn't have gone a miss on that blog entry
embaressed_smile.gif

I had no time to actually cost out every food item that was consumed by our guests. When would I have time to actually take care of the guests?
confused_smile.gif
So, I have no clue what the cost of a tea bag, cup of coffee, or breakfast muffin would be. What I did do was shop all the store sales (say, for Cokes), buy what was on sale & in season, buy as much as I could at Sam's Club, and serve seasonal food choices. I froze blueberries for pancakes and also butter when it was on sale, for example. Of course, we kept track of all our expenses but I wasn't going to sacrifice quality, so what would be the point of trying to drill everything down to the penny? If I tried a new dish and I found that the portions served were too large, I'd cut back on that to eliminate waste.
For me, the food portion of our experience offered was really important.

Pottery House said:
Mortie, why the runny yolks? Scramble the dang things and everyone loves them! After all they are glorified egg mcmuffins, right? That is what the egg mcmuffins are based on anyway.
whattha.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
You should be here sometime when I discuss digressing from a recipe...eggs benny have runny eggs, always have, always will (according to Gomez). Therefore, no runny eggs, no eggs benny.
sad_smile.gif

Pottery House said:
whattha.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
You should be here sometime when I discuss digressing from a recipe...eggs benny have runny eggs, always have, always will (according to Gomez). Therefore, no runny eggs, no eggs benny.
sad_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
sad_smile.gif
Hollandaise, ham/Can. bacon = eggs benny to me!
We "wing" the food costs... but we do keep track of them for writing them off for taxes. I suppose I could take my grocery bill and divide it by the number of guests I had... but I'd have nothing to do with that piece of information. I'm not going to change my breakfasts. Like others said, I can't compromise that quality, and I'm already being frugal about my purchases.
=)
Kk.

Back