Food fad crazy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We have discussed this, as the fads go, so we get the short end of the stick as the breakfast providers at the inn. When I first bought this inn it was the "all protein" diet fad, and now the Gluten Free fad is in and it will be the death of us!
I will give you my 2 cents worth on this subject, and as always my opinions are my own. Just like the vegans who have "mock or faux" burgers (my terms), and I say "if you won't eat meat why do you try to look like you are eating meat?" I will say the same with Gluten-Free, don't eat pancakes, eat eggs, eat veggies and fruit.
I am going to keep it simple. No matter how hard the push is to get all special ingredients from a health food store I don't have.
I have a food allergy/intolerance, and what do I do? I don't eat that food.

I have two good friends with bona fide celiac disease or gluten intolerance. If you think about all the things that have wheat gluten in them, it does get tough for them & they miss those things in their diet. They are also extremely thin because it becomes tough to adjust their diet to get enough calories per day with eliminating so many common foods.
But, they are used to finding what they can eat when they're not at home.

I have two good friends with bona fide celiac disease or gluten intolerance. If you think about all the things that have wheat gluten in them, it does get tough for them & they miss those things in their diet. They are also extremely thin because it becomes tough to adjust their diet to get enough calories per day with eliminating so many common foods.
But, they are used to finding what they can eat when they're not at home..
I could not live without bread.

But, they are used to finding what they can eat when they're not at home..
I could not live without bread.
Pasta! I love the Mediterranean diet....

hallelujah. The voice of reason.
I had a long standing argument with someone from the vegetarian society on another forum who said we couldn't claim to serve "vegetarians" because some of our "vegetarian" options include fish.
My argument was that I know several people who call themselves "vegetarian" but eat fish, and I don't care what people call themselves, we have a variety of options available each morning (including vegetarian) and they can choose what they like. They can have a full Scottish breakfast with no bacon and sausage for all I care, conversly I'm not going to cause a scene if a meat eater asks for the vegetarian breakfast with a piece of bacon on the side.
It seems to me that there are those who have real medical or ethical grounds for not eating certain foods, and they tend to either let you know at booking or sometims not tell you at all (becuase they are happy to pick and choose). And there are those who wear their allergy/vegetarianism as a badge of honour and wan to make a fuss about it.
We had two ladies stay last year who had a list of "allergies" as long as your arm, but you could just tell the way they talked to each other that they just fed off each others neurosis.

Back