Food Photography Part 2: Food Photography is about Celebrating Light

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matthew and Mark from Jumping Rocks did a workshop on food photography at the PAII conference which really emphasized the lighting aspect. They recommended using natural light when possible but having a diffuser (just a piece of melamine tacked on a wooden canvas stretcher) and a reflector (a piece of white foamboard) to help even out the lighting when using indoor lights. Both are easy and cheap to make with a trip to Michael's.
They are hoping to do a video replicating the workshop and post it on their blog. I'll keep watching for it.

Matthew and Mark from Jumping Rocks did a workshop on food photography at the PAII conference which really emphasized the lighting aspect. They recommended using natural light when possible but having a diffuser (just a piece of melamine tacked on a wooden canvas stretcher) and a reflector (a piece of white foamboard) to help even out the lighting when using indoor lights. Both are easy and cheap to make with a trip to Michael's.
They are hoping to do a video replicating the workshop and post it on their blog. I'll keep watching for it..
Jumping Rocks also recommended turning off the flash. Now I have to go and find out how to do that with my camera...
RIki

They are hoping to do a video replicating the workshop and post it on their blog. I'll keep watching for it..
Jumping Rocks also recommended turning off the flash. Now I have to go and find out how to do that with my camera...
RIki
I hardly ever use my flash. I either use my MUSEUM mode, or instead of doing everything auto, I turn off the flash setting.

Speaking of photos...one of my favorite props that I know Jumping Rocks never travels without are binos.
I was at the antique mall today (picking up some artwork today, not antiques) and waltzed right past a vintage set (late 1700's early 1800's) of binoculars from France! DANG IT! They even work like a charm!!! So I had to buy them.
My dd'sx2 said "LOOK! Now you can use them in your photos!" (one day I let them look through the JR website photos and pick out the "staging" items, like the ripe red apple on the little table in one shot that imo makes the whole photo!) When we go hiking we try to see things we would otherwise step on or over...
I actually bought them for Dad, but I might have to use them til I hand them over on father's day. I also said "I could rent these out to innkeepers for their photos!" they are really cool. No strap and not big bulky ugly binos, just a neat old fashioned pair.
PS THIS IS WHY JB SHOULD NOT GO INTO ANTIQUE MALLS, EVEN IF SHE NEVER LOOKED AT EVEN ONE ANTIQUE! This was on a table as I walked past...We are painting the whole long upstairs hall and I wanted fresh stuff for the walls - we originally put this and that up there, 7 years ago. Sadly to say it is TIME!
They look like THIS but have a working compass in between the eye pieces!
4197225643_04a1df6f90_z.jpg

Speaking of photos...one of my favorite props that I know Jumping Rocks never travels without are binos.
I was at the antique mall today (picking up some artwork today, not antiques) and waltzed right past a vintage set (late 1700's early 1800's) of binoculars from France! DANG IT! They even work like a charm!!! So I had to buy them.
My dd'sx2 said "LOOK! Now you can use them in your photos!" (one day I let them look through the JR website photos and pick out the "staging" items, like the ripe red apple on the little table in one shot that imo makes the whole photo!) When we go hiking we try to see things we would otherwise step on or over...
I actually bought them for Dad, but I might have to use them til I hand them over on father's day. I also said "I could rent these out to innkeepers for their photos!" they are really cool. No strap and not big bulky ugly binos, just a neat old fashioned pair.
PS THIS IS WHY JB SHOULD NOT GO INTO ANTIQUE MALLS, EVEN IF SHE NEVER LOOKED AT EVEN ONE ANTIQUE! This was on a table as I walked past...We are painting the whole long upstairs hall and I wanted fresh stuff for the walls - we originally put this and that up there, 7 years ago. Sadly to say it is TIME!
Nice. And, yes, perfect in a photo!

Beautiful binos! We have to stay out of Antique Shops and bookstores - BOTH of us are bad, Bad, BAD in those stores.

RIki
SIDETRACKING MOMENTARILY:
200+ feet of hallway (and it was not a paint over, it was a scrape it, primer, tape it (thanks to the wallpaper border) and then repaint the victorian baseboards and trim after all that is done.
We wonder why this room has this tiny bathroom and this giant WIDE hallway where it could have accommodated a full size tub or sauna even! There is so much wasted space, so the NEXT owners can have that to change if they wish, we would do it, make the suite with a large sized bathroom.
Here is the first part of the hallway half way down from the main door (about 15 feet from the hallway door/entry):
lrg_hallway_painting.JPG

lrg_hallway_painting2.JPG

lrg_hallway_painting3.JPG

PS Edited to add SATIN PAINT that we can wipe down. It was FLAT PAINT that showed every scuff from every suitcase that guests smashed along and banged into the walls. yes even in this wide a space!!
SATIN SATIN SATIN
Mix up the letters and they spell: SAINT
Next winter project (which is debatable as we need to redo the whole stairway runner is refinish the wood and replace the runner...but we have to agree before we can go ahead on that one, and we aren't agreeing on it...yet)

Beautiful binos! We have to stay out of Antique Shops and bookstores - BOTH of us are bad, Bad, BAD in those stores.
Antique stores and e-bay. DH bought an antique antler sofa and two chairs on e-bay. Big heavy, they gore you when you vac. And they were in Belgium... yup BELGIUM.

Back