Food processor suggestions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
My hand-me-down food processor is about to kick the bucket. Considering the purchase of a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good make/model???

I just got a Cuisinart. Had one for 30 years and finally just got sick of looking at the yellowed exterior. Everything still worked fine.

I have a Osterizer I bought long before we left Illinois. I used the heck out of it pureeing tomatoes I had canned into tomato soup and sauces as well as grinding onions, or veggies, or ice. Then I got the processor attachment to puree pumpkin I cooked down. Since being here (1995) I use it ll the time and a LOT since 1996 when I opened the B & B. I use the processor more now than the other part of it, but everything still works. When it finally dies (it has been working at least 30 years now), I will get another Osterizer.

Food Processors need to be heavy, so they don't shake and shimmy when you deal with a heavy load of something like dough. So skip the Kitchenaid, they are too light.

I bought a Ken w ood processor a fews ago, which was quite expensive. It came with loads of tools, most of which are gathering dust in the back of the kitchen cupboard and it's made of horrible cheap plastic.
I wouldn't recommend.
I had my Mums Ken w ood chef which she bought back in the 70's stored in the basement for years until I discovered Ken w ood chef restore. Sent my machine off for a service and now it's running as good as new. I use it for most things, although when smaller quantities are involved I use a cheap electric hand whisk. Even found a replacement glass liquidizer for the Chef on ebay, the liquidizer for the modern machine is plastic and cracks when you put hot liquid in it like soups.
In this throw-away world it's nice to make use of things that not only are better than most modern equivalents, but have sentimental value too.

I've been reading reviews and beginning to think that they certainly don't make things like they used to. The one I have is an oldie, but a goodie. It's from my MIL. My mom also had the same one for years!
I don't make bread on a routine basis. The heaviest thing I might use it for is scone dough. I have a K itchen Ai d mixer with bread hooks so I think I'd use that if the need presented itself.

I just got a Cuisinart. Had one for 30 years and finally just got sick of looking at the yellowed exterior. Everything still worked fine..
I loved my Braun but then I bought a Vita mix. I love that to bits it does every thing . I make soup in it pizza dough, cookie dough, ice cream, sorbet, smoothies , Juice, salsa it does most of my chopping. I cannot shred cheese in it or shred carrots or slice potato but for that kind of thing I use my mandel sp?.

Excuse me - I thought we were talking about food processors and what everyone else is talking about sounds like a mixer - bread hooks etc. My Osterizer grinds, mixes, shreds, purees, but unless it is liquid in the cup section, it had best have water in there to facilitate the blade in the bottom. I got a processor attachment to puree pumpkin and chop stuff I do not want liquid added to.
My Kitc hen a id standing mixer (which i gave to my chef son) had bread hooks, juicer attachment, grinder attachment. Two different appliances being discussed.

Excuse me - I thought we were talking about food processors and what everyone else is talking about sounds like a mixer - bread hooks etc. My Osterizer grinds, mixes, shreds, purees, but unless it is liquid in the cup section, it had best have water in there to facilitate the blade in the bottom. I got a processor attachment to puree pumpkin and chop stuff I do not want liquid added to.
My Kitc hen a id standing mixer (which i gave to my chef son) had bread hooks, juicer attachment, grinder attachment. Two different appliances being discussed..
I thought we were. Cuisinart is a food process. I thought osterizer was a blender???

I have a Ninja Professional and I LOVE it! I ordered it on line. They are now selling a cheaper variety at Walmart.

My Kitc hen a id standing mixer (which i gave to my chef son) had bread hooks, juicer attachment, grinder attachment. Two different appliances being discussed..
I thought we were. Cuisinart is a food process. I thought osterizer was a blender???
Oster makes food processors http://www.oster.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=2844

EmptyNest said:
Thank you for the term i could not think of. The Osterizer is a blender but i bought the processor attachment for it. I have worked the heck out of that thing for over 30 years and my family was not known for treating ANYTHING gently. When the talk about dough hooks started, I thought, wait a minute....

Oster makes food processors http://www.oster.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=2844
Thank you for the link. I have the blender and I see they now have a different design for their processors that go with the blenders. I will cry when mine dies. I use it so much! Now I kow where to go looking for it when that happens.

I have a Ninja Professional and I LOVE it! I ordered it on line. They are now selling a cheaper variety at Walmart..
Yes I got one from the second hand store for my girlfriend. It does every thing my vitamix does. It cost is cheaper but! has just as much power. It came with the tall container and the smaller square for cookies or any kind of dough . It cost me $20.00 can you imagine that ??? I was jumping up and down. It is new yet. Some one sure did not like it. I saw it in a store for $199.00 for both containers. Some know the store Canadian tire. My vitimix cost me $400.00 . Ninja was $20.00 . I hope my best friend loves it too.

I love my old Cuisinart DLC-5. It has a simple drop chute without all the intricate, fussy plastic safety locks that newer models have on the plunger. Since Cuisinart no longer makes them, you can find lightly-used ones on eBay (U.S.) for cheap.

I love my old Cuisinart DLC-5. It has a simple drop chute without all the intricate, fussy plastic safety locks that newer models have on the plunger. Since Cuisinart no longer makes them, you can find lightly-used ones on eBay (U.S.) for cheap..
Yep... a friend of mine who does estate sales found me one BRAND NEW in a box never been opened... Love it!

I have a Chef with a blender attachment which I use for soups, cake, pastry etc. I know there is a processor attachment for the Chef, as well as a whole host of cutting/shredding attachments, which might suit your needs. However from what you describe you may be better off with a food processor - I'm not sure how big the processor bowl is on the Chef attachment.
You can get good second hand Kenwood Chefs on ebay for reasonable money, and I should think if you want to get a stand alone food processor, Kenwood will do a reasonable one for around £40.
As I don't have a processor attachment for my Chef, I have a medium sized food processor that I use for hummus/dips/chopping etc. It's a nice size - bigger than the micro food processors you see, but takes up less space on the counter than a full on food processor. Horses for courses:)

I’ve had the Cuisinart Elite 14 cup for about three years and love it. Nut butters, pie dough, shortbread, fine chop of spinach for saag. Can’t believe I waited so many years to buy one!

Back