Food question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Ok, I am hostess for Garden Club Tues. I am doing a luau theme. And serving pineapple upside down cake. I have to make cake for about 40 people. I don't want to wait until Monday night to make them all. Do you think the cake will still taste freshly made and be acceptable if I make them tomorrow ( Sun) and keep in airtight plastic container? Or will they get to moist/ mushy from sitting for 2 days???

I would line the pan with parchment paper to keep the pineapple away from the metal pn (unless baking in glass and it is no problem) and cover with plastic wrap IN the pan. That way the juice will not ooze into the cake.

I would line the pan with parchment paper to keep the pineapple away from the metal pn (unless baking in glass and it is no problem) and cover with plastic wrap IN the pan. That way the juice will not ooze into the cake..
I was planning on baking the cake, turn it out on a serving tray as usual....then....letting it cool thoroughly, then slice it in serving sizes and putting in tupperware container to take to the meeting.

thanks...my friend makes this all the time..bakes it in a bundt pan.....yummy...but I am still going with my original plan of pineapple upside down cake. I have all the stuff already:)

This one actually gets better with age, you can bake it and serve it a day or two later. You can toss icing sugar over the top or garnish with fruit (pineapple for the luau theme or toss a bit into it you almost can taste it in there)
LOUISIANA STRANGER'S CAKE
[SIZE= 12px]
1 box Betty Crocker Butter Pecan cake mix
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped pecans
4 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter or oil
1 container coconut pecan frosting

Of course here is it called "Claiborne House Butter Pecan Cake" I had a trustee inn-mate throw this together in 5 minutes just last month. :)
[/SIZE]

This one actually gets better with age, you can bake it and serve it a day or two later. You can toss icing sugar over the top or garnish with fruit (pineapple for the luau theme or toss a bit into it you almost can taste it in there)
[SIZE= 12px]
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped pecans
4 eggs

Of course here is it called "Claiborne House Butter Pecan Cake" I had a trustee inn-mate throw this together in 5 minutes just last month. :)
[/SIZE].
But it's a Luau
poke.gif
Hmmmm.....maybe it could be southern Hawaii!

[SIZE= 12px]
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped pecans
4 eggs

[/SIZE].
But it's a Luau
poke.gif
Believe me...I am tempted...it would be so much easier...but then the little ladies "just wouldn't get it"

I'm not really sure if they would taste the same baked 2 days in advance. I find that Pineapple Upside Down cake gets mushy (or something like that) after a day. How will you bake it to serve 40? I've only made it in a cast iron skillet with lots of real butter and brown sugar
angel_smile.gif

I'm not really sure if they would taste the same baked 2 days in advance. I find that Pineapple Upside Down cake gets mushy (or something like that) after a day. How will you bake it to serve 40? I've only made it in a cast iron skillet with lots of real butter and brown sugar
angel_smile.gif
Multiply recipe:) I Use 9 x 13 inch pans. I put the butter and brown sugar on the bottom too:) Go here to see an example

[SIZE= 12px]
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped pecans
4 eggs

[/SIZE].
But it's a Luau
poke.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
But it's a Luau
poke.gif
It's a luau in the Blue Ridge mountains.
smileystooges.gif

Question: coconut isn't southern is it? Do they grow coconuts in the tropical areas of the south? Just curious.

I missed the Tuesday part. I thought it was for Monday. Unless you think it would freeze OK, I would not make it until Monday morning at the earliest. Lets face it, due to your past professions, you are held to a higher standard than others with baked goods.

I would think it would get mushy baked that far ahead of time. It's just one of those cakes that has to been eaten pretty soon, I think.

I would think it would get mushy baked that far ahead of time. It's just one of those cakes that has to been eaten pretty soon, I think..
I guess I just bite the bullet and make it on Monday. Maybe I should have just done pineapple Zuchinni Bread ;-(

I would think it would get mushy baked that far ahead of time. It's just one of those cakes that has to been eaten pretty soon, I think..
I guess I just bite the bullet and make it on Monday. Maybe I should have just done pineapple Zuchinni Bread ;-(
What did you end up doing about the pineapple upside down cake?

Made them on MOnday , put cakes into tupperware and took to club on Tues. Everyone loved it! Kept saying how they hadn't made it since forever.

Made them on MOnday , put cakes into tupperware and took to club on Tues. Everyone loved it! Kept saying how they hadn't made it since forever.
Yummy!
tounge_smile.gif

Back