Food stuffs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Day

Reaction score
any thoughts to having a food service deliver the grocery items?........for like the high season......I would imagine that establishments with the likes of 10 rooms would do this

Better still...if you find yourself with a B&B in a big B&B area, you can all go in together to get delivery. Most of the time that will mean FREE delivery (over a certain order amount).
It requires planning, tho. We just spent a lively 10 minutes discussing what's for brekkie tomorrow. Hubs wants to make omelets. He can make 2 at a time. We have a family of 5 and 2 families of 4 here. They will all come to breakfast at the same time (Murphys Law) so you do the math...

i think it's a great idea ... the service wasn't offered where i was ... and it cost me in gas and hours of time to drive to the supermarket, either a shaws or a stop and shop ... it took me about 4 hours to make the trip (including the shopping) with no one covering for me, and then there was all the putting away.
i arranged for peapod for my dad, because he was housebound and lived so far away from me. it cost $17.95 for his order, which was always under $150. for a bigger order, it was only $11.95. (that would have been enormously helpful for me at the inn!) tipping optional, but my dad always gave the guy $10.00 ((it was always a man delivering, don't know why)) and he would come right in with the bags and put the things away for him. i paid for the service online when i put in the order. for $3.00 more i could request a specific delivery range ... which i had to do because my dad would take out his hearing aids and go to sleep. so if i said, 'the peabod man is coming tomorrow between 9 and 11,' dad would be sitting at the window, watching and waiting.
but that's getting away from your question.
point is, they were reliable, they were very accurate with the order, and the produce was chosen and handled with care.
i know there are other food services around ... i just don't have personal experience with them.
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

I maintain a couple restaurants and have the deliveries driving in and out all the time we are there....
I didn't think of Pea Pod....we have that here and see them all over
Interesting thing regarding Pea Pod.....I have customers that use them....Why?.....I have no idea.......it's not like they don't have time. This one woman I actualy think it is beneath her to go to the grocery store

I feel like I LIVE at the grocery store! It's a 20 minute drive one way and I'm there at least 4 times a week. I would love it if I could have groceries delivered.

If we did that we would NEVER be able to leave these ball and chains.
cry_smile.gif

I still go out to get flowers and if I it a special trip I will have to charge more - time, gas, etc.

cry_smile.gif

I still go out to get flowers and if I it a special trip I will have to charge more - time, gas, etc..
Never leaving did cross my mind
I was looking at this from a convenience point of view.....and you know how things get during high season....time managment is of the essence.
Same reason I asked about hooking up with a local bakery.
I wouldn't consider those options 365 days a year...running at full tilt 7 days a week.....weeks on end. 2, 3, 4 or more months of high season. Some relief is welcomed.......no?

I feel like I LIVE at the grocery store! It's a 20 minute drive one way and I'm there at least 4 times a week. I would love it if I could have groceries delivered..
Country Girl said:
I feel like I LIVE at the grocery store! It's a 20 minute drive one way and I'm there at least 4 times a week. I would love it if I could have groceries delivered.
I know the feeling! We try to consolidate trips, but we still have to make multiple runs. Usually, I'm following DW around with a second basket. One of us is shopping for us and the other for the B&B so that we can pay for them separately.
One of my first jobs as a kid was as a box boy/sacker/stocker for a small grocery store in the town where I grew up. Little Old ladies would call their orders in and the owner would give me the list. I would take a basket and gather all the items on the list. Once boxed, the butcher would deliver them. Ah! The good old days. We'll never see that again.

The problem is also you have last minute guests etc, you can never pre-order stuff too far in advance, I could never order unless it was all frozen stuffs. I have my own bargain shopping to get what I need when and where I need it. We have no costco here either and sam's club is 30 minutes away, I don't go there either. Have done on and off, and not worth the drive to me.
So the stuff I really need must be fresh stuff, I need to be able to pick over the strawberries to ensure I have the best ones. Nope could never do it. That is me. If the strawberries are not super fresh this week, then I won't buy any!

good point regarding the fresh produce....
I love Costco....have one realy close.
I don't think utilizing purveyors are the be all, end all.....perhaps they might be a viable option for some goods...say, paper goods by the case, cleaning supplies, bulk food stuff.....if the cost comparison is good. Wouldn't that be a welcomed luxury?
These are all variables I am considering.
I think I have decided that being withing reasonable distance of a Costco, Home Depot.....Hopefully a Polish Butcher..........OK, the Polish butcher is kinda important to me....Authentic Keilbasa and Kubonosa, Kischka can't be beat

cry_smile.gif

I still go out to get flowers and if I it a special trip I will have to charge more - time, gas, etc..
Never leaving did cross my mind
I was looking at this from a convenience point of view.....and you know how things get during high season....time managment is of the essence.
Same reason I asked about hooking up with a local bakery.
I wouldn't consider those options 365 days a year...running at full tilt 7 days a week.....weeks on end. 2, 3, 4 or more months of high season. Some relief is welcomed.......no?
Hubs goes to the grocery store everyday. It's his hour away from here. Sometimes it's his 2 hours away from here. We do a big BJ's run for paper goods but the groceries are everyday, even tho it is twice as expensive to do it that way. We're buying sanity, not just groceries.

good point regarding the fresh produce....
I love Costco....have one realy close.
I don't think utilizing purveyors are the be all, end all.....perhaps they might be a viable option for some goods...say, paper goods by the case, cleaning supplies, bulk food stuff.....if the cost comparison is good. Wouldn't that be a welcomed luxury?
These are all variables I am considering.
I think I have decided that being withing reasonable distance of a Costco, Home Depot.....Hopefully a Polish Butcher..........OK, the Polish butcher is kinda important to me....Authentic Keilbasa and Kubonosa, Kischka can't be beat.
I rarely get to the warehouse stores to shop and making a grocery run can be a welcome break when you have a continuing run of guests.
The other problem with either warehouse shopping or food service delivery is storage. You have to have the room to store all that stuff.

I am going to walmart right now, have had a super busy weekend and two rooms are not here yet for check in, and S.O. just said "Why?" I said, I need to get out of here for a while. S.O. goes to work every day, I just want to go some place where I don't have to race around. Just walk around in a daze. Plus my wireless speakers blew up and I want to look at an ipod speaker system if they have any there.

I am going to walmart right now, have had a super busy weekend and two rooms are not here yet for check in, and S.O. just said "Why?" I said, I need to get out of here for a while. S.O. goes to work every day, I just want to go some place where I don't have to race around. Just walk around in a daze. Plus my wireless speakers blew up and I want to look at an ipod speaker system if they have any there..
I just got back from my walk. Just getting out and away from the phone is precious! And away from the walk-ins who won't even book with a $25 discount. And this weekend the HGI was charging $300/night. They'll pay it there, but won't pay less than half that at an 'in home' biz. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I would not have the space for a delivery order and also like to "pick" my fruits and veggies. We are 12 miles from the veggie store in Clarksburg which is a 20 to 30 minute drive depending on whether you get behind a "blue hair" or a coal truck or have a clear track. With our 2-lane roads you do not make "time" anywhere.
When we go for veggies we usually hit Kroger for their sale items or the things (brands) we can only get there, go to the freezer locker, or take care of any errands there so it is almost always a multi-task trip.
When we go to Morgantown we check the WVRTC mailbox, go to Giant Eagle (same reason as Kroger), Barnes & Noble for DH, etc
My main stuff I can get here in town and do so because they pay B & O to my City, I am supporting local merchants, and they are 2 minutes away - if I get the traffic light red.

One Day said:
any thoughts to having a food service deliver the grocery items?........for like the high season......I would imagine that establishments with the likes of 10 rooms would do this
It would be way too expensive. They would charge a delivery fee. We don't have a service like that here other than for the ultra rich and they pay through the nose.
Plus you are depending on some clerk who does not care to pick your fresh produce - no way. I have enough trouble getting my one day a week cleaning person to clean under the bed and not stuff paper towels in the toilet and flush them down - clogging my drains....
RIki

Back